LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

More Hunter, Less Gore....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I love watchin' this kid ....had a very good feeling about him the day they drafter him. This was one hell of a pick for us. But i am definitely not of the opinion that Gore is done. The combo to me will only prove to be beneficial to this offense and hopefully wear-out defenses. I still think Gore is exciting to watch as well, but the biggest difference to me is pass protection and Gore is invaluable in that regard.
Man, i hope they both go off this weekend!
hunter on the pass

gore on the runs
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
hunter on the pass

gore on the runs
A 3rd down back is something we've needed for a long time now. Hunter is the guy!
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
Now this is a great post with a good view of the whole picture/enchalada ........This makes up for having to read all of those Gore is done , trade Gore , and such foolishness.
Another side benifit is maybe we have two fresher RB's at the end of the season and certainly a rookie RB with more damn NFL experience.

Thank you and yes, we are only extending Gore's career here...example? Notice at the end of the game, when we needed to close out Philly, Gore was getting stronger as the game progressed. They knew we were running and they couldn't stop us when they needed too. Game over.

Right now, Gore is and has always been a liability in lateral runs and this is why defenses have been able to key in on him and stack the box and run blitz between the tackles. He can bounce a run outside once in a while but that is certainly not a strength. On the flip side, Hunter is inexperienced and will need to learn the intricacies of blocking. But together, they are going to be hard to stop! With both lined up in the back, who do you key in on?

PS: Gore was/is not hurt. That was a PC-move by Harbaugh to integrate Hunter more into the offense w/o it looking bad to the fans or causing 12 pages of "Gore is done" threads. Oops! Haha
Is this a fair statement?

A RB is pretty much done when needs another RB to keep him "fresh" for 60 mins.
share the carries 50/50 if gore wanna keep playing for the next 3 years
Does anyone know how many touches Hunter may get this week? Since Gore is healthy,, i'm not as inclined to start him on my fantasy team like I did last week. I'm just scared he will get 10 touches, none of them near the goal line. This is more of a fantasy question though, I'm gonna be stoked either way if we win. Just wondering if any of you are thinking of starting Hunter as a flex this week.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
Now this is a great post with a good view of the whole picture/enchalada ........This makes up for having to read all of those Gore is done , trade Gore , and such foolishness.
Another side benifit is maybe we have two fresher RB's at the end of the season and certainly a rookie RB with more damn NFL experience.

Thank you and yes, we are only extending Gore's career here...example? Notice at the end of the game, when we needed to close out Philly, Gore was getting stronger as the game progressed. They knew we were running and they couldn't stop us when they needed too. Game over.

Right now, Gore is and has always been a liability in lateral runs and this is why defenses have been able to key in on him and stack the box and run blitz between the tackles. He can bounce a run outside once in a while but that is certainly not a strength. On the flip side, Hunter is inexperienced and will need to learn the intricacies of blocking. But together, they are going to be hard to stop! With both lined up in the back, who do you key in on?

PS: Gore was/is not hurt. That was a PC-move by Harbaugh to integrate Hunter more into the offense w/o it looking bad to the fans or causing 12 pages of "Gore is done" threads. Oops! Haha

You make a great point about who do you key on , I look forward to seeing both of them in backfield , they compliment eachother really well. I always enjoy your comments as well as a few others with their inciteful posts.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Oct 7, 2011 at 1:52 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Good observations! One of the things I noticed about Hunter is his ability to set up blocks on the outside. Gore does this well and doesn't waste time dancing but Hunter is evern quicker to decide and gets positive yardage whenever possible. He doesn't wait for the blocker but darts to the side away from the defender and uses the blocker as a shield. With his small stature this is even more effective as he probably disappears to tacklers at times and reappears too late for a big hit. Gore is still a great back but I agree this has been a great need.

Edit: With Dixon, if he stops dancing, they have three sizes and all appear to be tough...thumper, workhorse and thoroughbred.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 7, 2011 at 6:34 AM ]
i dont agree frank is probowler i love kendall hunter he is back of the future but where is loyalty to Frank Gore 4 1000yrd seasons in row is not some one who u get rid of frank is a little older and hunter is definetely back of the future and awesome 1-2 punch

i dont agree frank is probowler i love kendall hunter he is back of the future but where is loyalty to Frank Gore 4 1000yrd seasons in row is not some one who u get rid of frank is a little older and hunter is definetely back of the future and awesome 1-2 punch
Originally posted by verb1der:

In Frank's case Hunter benefits him by keeping him fresh since Frank was our only weapon for the longest time and we pounded the ball with him , which could have shortened Frank's career, plus every good running game needs an extra dimension to be a versatile offense.

I'd like to see Dixon get a touch here and there too, it's always a plus to throw a 240 LB running back at the defense
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by verb1der:

In Frank's case Hunter benefits him by keeping him fresh since Frank was our only weapon for the longest time and we pounded the ball with him , which could have shortened Frank's career, plus every good running game needs an extra dimension to be a versatile offense.

I'd like to see Dixon get a touch here and there too, it's always a plus to throw a 240 LB running back at the defense

Not when your 240lb back runs with twinkle toes.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for Giggidy.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Split time is good for Gore.

We've copied the NY Giants for years, why not implement their RB strategy?

Gore may not want the split time, but he needs it right now.

I'm good with splitting time - I feel Gore is still a solid north/south runner and mixing it up with Hunter should give us a good one/two punch.
I'll always respect Gore for what he's meant to our team, but it's clear his best days are behind him. He may have averaged over 6.2 a carry, but Hunter averaged 7 on 9 carries. Gore is benefiting from an amazing scheme, but isn't really doing anything that a good RB wouldn't do. When the draft comes around I would love for us to look for a McFadden or AP type of runner. I know we wont be picking that high, but a super stud RB would be deadly in this offense.....Let the tomato throwing begin....
Share 49ersWebzone