LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 441 users in the forums

QB Situation for 2012

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just posing a question about what you think we should do next year about our QB situation. Now in order to properly frame this question, let's assume two things: Alex has a solid season this year. Nothing super spectacular, but also nothing awfully shameful. Just solid. Also, we don't finish last to automatically win the Luck sweepstakes.

Do you think we should:

1) Stick with Kap as our QB1, and go with either Tolzien, a resigned Smith or some other vet FA as the backup?

2) Keep Kap as the go-to backup, but go for someone else either in FA (Flynn?) or the draft (Moore? Trade up big time to get Luck?) as a more reliable, ready starter?

3) Another route? Maybe even resign Smith once again to start?

IMO, I'm not that big on Kap, and his preseason performance didn't help. I'm an awareness/accuracy over athletic ability type of guy, so I knew right off the bat I wouldn't like him as our future QB. Backup? Awesome, stick him in the Josh Johnson role. But not starter.

I pick option 2, and specifically the two I mentioned, draft Moore in the 3rd or sign Flynn. Luck will be too pricey to trade up for, I'd rather keep our 1st and 2nd picks for two of either a CB, WR, FS or OL, in that priority.
Well the QB situation all depends on how Smith performs this season. If he gets pulled even once I think he won't be back and Kaeperick and Tolzien battle it out and/or we pick up another veteran.
I think the season has to play out but early indications are Kaep may need another year or so and Smith is still the very limited QB he always has been. If that holds true the team needs to go in a different direction next season for a 1-2 stop gap starter if an upgrade over Alex is available.
Probably gonna have a camp battle of Kaepernick, Josh Johnson and The God King Tolzien
1) Bring in Vet that is content being a backup
2) Open competition between CK, Tolz, and Vet
3) Best player starts at QB

This coaching staff is about performance rather than draft grade. CK most likely gets the first opportunity to start but if Tolz outplays him in the offseason he will start.

Giving up on CK after this last preseason is way to premature. But either way I think we have 2 promising young talents at QB for Harbaugh to mold, as well as a coach who will continue to stock the QB position until he finds his man, something the past defensive coaches never understood. If/when we find our franchise QB, the front office should always be looking for new talent, not only for quality backups but if Harbs is the QB guru we think he is, then we can consistently trade our backups for good draft picks.
Originally posted by sachie23:
I think the season has to play out but early indications are Kaep may need another year or so and Smith is still the very limited QB he always has been. If that holds true the team needs to go in a different direction next season for a 1-2 stop gap starter if an upgrade over Alex is available.

Looking at the 2012 free agent list the best available would be Jason Campbell, Josh Johnson (doubt he makes it to FA) and Kyle Orton. All signs are pointing to Alex Smith being re-signed as of right now.
[ Edited by AiNoKea on Sep 23, 2011 at 9:04 AM ]
I wouldn't rule out them drafting another QB.
I think we draft another qb in the 4th or 3rd, we keep alex, keep tolz, keep kaep.. and let the games begin.

Besides, we don't need a good Qb to hand the ball off to gore, to run up the middle. Anyone can do that, until we stop playing so harbaltary, I don't really see the need to waste another pick on a QB. Fix the defense and oline.
too early to tell
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Alex for the 8th year the and the loss of more niner fans at home games.

Smith 10 yrs 200,000,000
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
CK's performance in pre-season reminded me way too much of how Gio Carmazzi did. I hope that changes.
CK isn't the answer at QB. At least not this or next season. The kid showed he's to raw
Anyone but f**king Alex Smith to start. Sooner or later we will need a top QB and Alex just isnt ever going to be that QB.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Anyone but f**king Colin Kaepernick to start. Sooner or later we will need a top QB and Colin just isnt ever going to be that QB.

Fixed.
Share 49ersWebzone