There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What we were discussing at the last tailgate. You be the judge!

• Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Yes. It's a QB driven league.

This. I'd give Willis and Gore for Luck. If you can't pass, you can't win. And as good as Willis is, you can get by with another linebacker or another running back.
i don't know much about current contracts, but i can tell you this, sooner RATHER THAN LATER, willis is gonna leave-most proven, all-pro players only have one thing left to do to make their mark and be a part of history: WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS.

we ain't winning s**t anytime soon.

willis and some draft picks for the number one overall next year. yes.
Originally posted by Otter:
This. I'd give Willis and Gore for Luck. If you can't pass, you can't win. And as good as Willis is, you can get by with another linebacker or another running back.

I think the point here is that Luck is unproven. Its like giving up a $500,000 winning lottery ticket for a 50/50 chance at $10,000,000. But this is a really good debate.

We might be debating this for real if the Panthers keep losing
[ Edited by 52thegreat on Sep 21, 2011 at 9:38 AM ]
lets just lose the rest of our games and keep them both!!!!!!!!

it's a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things!
Originally posted by 52thegreat:

I think the point here is that Luck is unproven. Its like giving up a $500,000 winning lottery ticket for a 50/50 chance at $10,000,000. But this is a really good debate.

you keep saying hes unproven, maybe in the NFL, but really don't you think that some teams would draft him the Number 1 pick in the draft (no alex smith jokes please) hes no alex smith. I think that there (unlike Alex Smith who NO ONE wanted to trade picks with the 49ers) would be teams lined up to make a deal for Luck. And I think with some good QB coaching he will be a NFL QB star.
[ Edited by 49erJim on Sep 21, 2011 at 9:50 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by 52thegreat:

you keep saying hes unproven, maybe in the NFL, but really don't you think that some teams would draft him the Number 1 pick in the draft (no alex smith jokes please) hes no alex smith. I think that there (unlike Alex Smith who NO ONE wanted to trade picks with the 49ers) would be teams lined up to make a deal for Luck. And I think with some good QB coaching he will be a NFL QB star.

But isnt that the point? Its safe to say that 90% of all draft eligible players are proven at the collegiate level. There is no doubt in my mind that none of the NFL teams would pass on the guy. I think he will be good too, barring any injuries, but is the chance of him being good worth giving up our best defensive player? we'll never know...
Originally posted by verb1der:
No. Patrick Willis is a sure shot Hall of Famer.

Uhm...actually he's not.
But even then, I wouldn't trade him for Luck, who's no guarantee to be great. The risk/reward with getting Luck is not a very good one for the team if they give up a proven player to get him.

The risk is high enough if you draft him high, it compounds matters when you give up your best linebacker to do it.

Plus I would rather draft Kellen Moore.

I agree , Moore is a surgeon ! little short for a qb though would see alot of batted passes.
Originally posted by kray28:

Uhm...actually he's not.

Well to us homers he is!!!!
maybe before next years draft we mass email all the teams letting them know P Willis is available for the #1 overall pick
Originally posted by kray28:

Uhm...actually he's not.

Lol, what are you smoking???
Colts are probably gonna have the #1 pick and then trade it for half of someones team or an entire draft.
Even our FO isnt retarded enough to make that trade
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by plummerfan:
hell no! besides even if he is a good quarterback, can't do a damn thing without an offensive line!!!!!!!!!!

Yes they can. They get the ball out faster, make better decisions and generally bring the play up of the entire Offense. This all has been documented and made clear in the past on teams with HOF QBs, not sayin Luck will be one. But you asked and this is an "educated" opinion.. duhhhhhhhh!

You serious?

An elite quarterback will win even with a bad offensive line. They can also make the bad OL look very good.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home