LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

What can we do about the O-line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LundyLove:
So true

The Bills line sucked until they got Fitzpatrick back there

The Bills offensive line started playing better last season because the veterans came back from injuries. This year they built on that and improved further.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dmax:
maybe go max protect....2 wideouts

That what we are doing on every play!
Originally posted by 190836:

Personally, I feel like that's part of our problem. Every play our offense is clustered together which makes it easy for team to disguise what they are doing. I dont know why we feel the need to play one particular style of offense? We need to go MMA with our playbook. Spread them out, go 3 and 4 WR and give Smith some room to see the field. I'm so sick everyone piling in a 10 yard rectangle.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 22, 2011 at 5:02 PM ]
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 190836:

Personally, I feel like that's part of our problem. Every play our offense is clustered together which makes it easy for team to disguise what they are doing. I dont know why we feel the need to play one particular style of offense? We need to go MMA with our playbook. Spread them out, go 3 and 4 WR and give Smith some room to see the field. I'm so sick everyone piling in a 10 yard rectangle.

I totally agree. As you said we have to spread it so we can give Alex Smith a chance to do something that he is comfortable with.
With we can do is give them sometime new H.C. and system.
Originally posted by JD9671:

Did you bail on your ESL class or what?
sorry!! I get careless..

Did you bail on your ESL class or what?
sorry!! I get careless..

All good, just giving you a hard time.... You should attempt to read some of my posts, and to think english is my first and only language...
That cool oakland-niner
sorry!! I get careless..

All good, just giving you a hard time.... You should attempt to read some of my posts, and to think english is my first and only language...

That cool oakland -niner .You vetrans are good writers.
I think I figured it out about this o-line....

The personality of these dudes, Staley, Iupati, Davis, Rachal they're too nice, like they're one of those really nice guys in school who are just big and athletic so they became successful in college. Maybe that's the reason why these guys are pretty high picks that still haven't panned out, because they don't seem to have that attitude that NFL linemen need, that rugged, nasty, angry type of attitude...look at Joe Staley for example, dude always clowns around! Maybe Iupati has hope....

I was just talking to this dude at a bar, he said "elite teams in the NFL have nasty linemen, the Jets o-line learned from dudes like Mawae, dude was the nastiest linemen ever, set the tone for Mangold, who's supposedly the best at his position."

Overall this 49ers o-line is too soft. They need to play with more nastiness and fire!

Originally posted by verb1der:
I think I figured it out about this o-line....

The personality of these dudes, Staley, Iupati, Davis, Rachal they're too nice, like they're one of those really nice guys in school who are just big and athletic so they became successful in college. Maybe that's the reason why these guys are pretty high picks that still haven't panned out, because they don't seem to have that attitude that NFL linemen need, that rugged, nasty, angry type of attitude...look at Joe Staley for example, dude always clowns around! Maybe Iupati has hope....

I was just talking to this dude at a bar, he said "elite teams in the NFL have nasty linemen, the Jets o-line learned from dudes like Mawae, dude was the nastiest linemen ever, set the tone for Mangold, who's supposedly the best at his position."

Overall this 49ers o-line is too soft. They need to play with more nastiness and fire!

Joe Staley just text me that he disagrees with you. He would of told you himself, but his crochet class got out late and he's running late for ballet.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 22, 2011 at 9:22 PM ]
Joe Staley just text me that he disagrees with you. He would of told you himself, but his crochet class got out late and he's running late for ballet.

Bench Rachal and put Staley and Iupati in a room and give them various team-building exercises.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Bench Rachal and put Staley and Iupati in a room and give them various team-building exercises.

Why bench Rachal? He hasn't been the worst on the team. If anything I would consider flipping Staley and Davis. Then at least one half of our line would be good.
There are some really good ideas in this thread, including throw quick slants on 1st down, or whenever else there are 8, 9 or 10 guys on the LOS. Also, bunching up in a tight formation is an automatic loser for us. As noted above, split 'em out wide, all the way to edge of the field. For Ds playing box 8, keep throwing quick one step slants until the 8 or 9 D players move off the dam line. THEN run Frank. Running him in a tightly bunched formation, usually against an 8 man line is sure fire going to fail.
Finally, get JH to show us his creative calls from college days, when he has the D confused. As it is now, we are reacting to what the D is doing, not the other way around.

As for the D, trade Craps for a top 2 or top 3 CB or hard hitting DB. He doesn't seem to care, and appears not to be a team player. We made a mistake, someone must want a talented WR, make a trade and move on. JH can coach around a lousy OL by throwing all quick short passes, which when D backs up will allow frank to run. On D, it is hard to coach around bad DB and CB play. Hence, if they can't cover , have the lousy players blitz...and keep doing it until we find a scenario that works. What i saw in dallas game is a rerun of last 8 yrs, and our new coach is way better than that.
Share 49ersWebzone