There are 262 users in the forums

What can we do about the O-line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Some fans in NOs mentioned when Goodwin was waived that he had benefited from All-Pro OGs, true? You also mentioned Rachal having difficulty--have you rewatched the game yet and do you have any other comments? Or have I missed them somewhere?

Staley being beaten so badly was disappointing to me as I had hoped he would get back to being a stable influence. Glad Smith is a tough guy!

Not really sure. I pop in here with a comment or two, but overall, save my efforts for another forum. This place just depresses me, but there are a handful or so like yourself that keep me bothering to check the WZ. I still watch each game all week though, and make some notes.

I never focused as closely on the Saints games as I do the Niners... but Goodwin always seemed efficient though lacking in power. So far in SF, he appears slower in pass pro, and as weak as ever. Doesn't give good effort much either, so I am disappointed in the coaches for not picking up on this. Either that, or they really think Snyder is a far worse option. Goodwin has been flat-out sucking hard though.

The next playing-like-crap award goes to Staley. Seems all he can do well is pull block outside. He is getting beaten too often around the edge, and his reactions generally make him lose leverage early on. He is also a poor run blocker.

Next crap award goes to Rachal. While he hasn't totally sucked, he is still making the occasional blunder that gets Alex hit or pressured too quickly.

So far, Iupati and AD have been the better OL... but none of these guys are often showing much power to drive defenders off the LOS, and they have trouble holding their blocks through the whistle...

Also of note... Vernon Davis... not blocking well at all lately. Either everyone bloated this ability in him, or he is just too unfocused or disinterested in his block assignments.

Yes, Alex is very tough... he often takes hits that the casual observer doesn't see. He is definitely winning some fans over with his determination to battle through all of this. Still gotta wonder when it's just gonna be too much, and Kap will have to come in for our injured starter.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Staley-Iupati-Goodwin-Kilgore-Boone

Make it happen!

hell no, Davis has been the only consistant player on this OLINE
  • dmax
  • Veteran
maybe go max protect....2 wideouts
they need to use more screens and let vernon davis and delanie get those lbs in mismatches the line needs to improve maybe change up the starters but the problem is we have too many 1st rounders staley davis iupati 2nd rounder chilo rachal and high priced free agent c goodwin in the line is young and needs to jell that why you should not draft two 1st round offensive lineman thanks mike singletary
Screens will get the QB killed for sure.

As for max protect? Our receiving options are far from special, so limiting the receiving options like that may be detrimental anyway. At least have the backs do a block-n-release.
we should switch Staley and Davis now!
Not liking the OT switch at this time.

We need to dump Norris, and plug in Bruce Miller. His job all day long should be to drift from left or right depending on where Gore lines up ( think: weak, strong, I form ) and have both block and release for the majority of snaps.

I also would have no patience with Goodwin, so the first time I see him get lazy or pitiful? Yank him out. I'd have Snyder getting ready right now.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Not really sure. I pop in here with a comment or two, but overall, save my efforts for another forum. This place just depresses me, but there are a handful or so like yourself that keep me bothering to check the WZ. I still watch each game all week though, and make some notes.

I never focused as closely on the Saints games as I do the Niners... but Goodwin always seemed efficient though lacking in power. So far in SF, he appears slower in pass pro, and as weak as ever. Doesn't give good effort much either, so I am disappointed in the coaches for not picking up on this. Either that, or they really think Snyder is a far worse option. Goodwin has been flat-out sucking hard though.

The next playing-like-crap award goes to Staley. Seems all he can do well is pull block outside. He is getting beaten too often around the edge, and his reactions generally make him lose leverage early on. He is also a poor run blocker.

Next crap award goes to Rachal. While he hasn't totally sucked, he is still making the occasional blunder that gets Alex hit or pressured too quickly.

So far, Iupati and AD have been the better OL... but none of these guys are often showing much power to drive defenders off the LOS, and they have trouble holding their blocks through the whistle...

Also of note... Vernon Davis... not blocking well at all lately. Either everyone bloated this ability in him, or he is just too unfocused or disinterested in his block assignments.

Yes, Alex is very tough... he often takes hits that the casual observer doesn't see. He is definitely winning some fans over with his determination to battle through all of this. Still gotta wonder when it's just gonna be too much, and Kap will have to come in for our injured starter.

Thank you for the response and kind words. VD seems to be unhappy and met with Harbaugh yesterday, and the 9ers tried out a TE earlier in the week, but they don't have a TE for strickly blocking. I understand his anger as he has the best chemistry with Smith and should be going out more, but that would presume they have a plan for blocking. He may be getting the veteran blues, where he doesn't feel blocking should be as important. Hard to know.

It will be interesting to see when the OLine comes together, or if, and whether Harbaugh will need to start shuffling the deck using Kilgore and Boone more.
Play Aldon Smith on the OL. He has really long arms.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 22, 2011 at 11:11 AM ]
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersswagger:
they need to use more screens and let vernon davis and delanie get those lbs in mismatches the line needs to improve maybe change up the starters but the problem is we have too many 1st rounders staley davis iupati 2nd rounder chilo rachal and high priced free agent c goodwin in the line is young and needs to jell that why you should not draft two 1st round offensive lineman thanks mike singletary

like oldman said..screens will get alex killed

It's got to be the coaching and new scheme. I have a hard time believing its all about talent.

Also, V.Davis works too hard at his craft to sit around blocking. He is probably discouraged because before this season started all you heard about was Harbaughs TE friendly offense. I'm sick of watching out team waste the career of talent players.... At this point I would rather keep Gore in to block than Davis.
They just need to gel more. Dallas has a really good pass rush, so giving up the sacks wasn't a surprise.
Originally posted by dmax:
Originally posted by 49ersswagger:

like oldman said..screens will get alex killed
Unless it's a WR screen to the inside.
When your OL is playing terrible there are three things you SHOULD try to do:

1. Add an extra person in the backfield for protection.
2. Quick slants and hot-routes EARLY and often to counter blitzes. Early, as in first and second downs to burn the blitz.
3. BUBBLE SCREENS. The staple of the Texas Tech offense when Crabtree was there. They too would severely burn a blitz, and unlike a RB screen, are much quicker to develop and have less risk of getting your QB killed.

Two things you should NOT DO when your OL is playing poorly:

1. Play action - gets your QB DRILLED before he can even look for an open receiver.
2. Passes in the flats - because the QB has to get rid of the ball so quick, he often must lob it over the top giving time for defenders to get into position.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 22, 2011 at 1:51 PM ]
What do u mean screens? All of our pass protection looks like screens. We have the 5 best "LOOK OUT" blockers in the NFL
Share 49ersWebzone