Originally posted by flow:

Oh snap it's our full OLine

No, they aren't open!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by flow:

Oh snap it's our full OLine

No, they aren't open!

Sure they are, notice there are only 4 turn styles, the last on the right being Anthony Davis (even though he hasn't been the worst offender this year).
I know I don't have much sympathy for this point, but our OL doesn't know how to play their positions. I believe they all are having personal instruction from Harbaugh, because they have never been coached on a professional level before. NOln didn't teach them anything and BM(bigmike) definitely didn't. After the saints and Texans, games, JH put in a very easy blocking plan for the OL and it worked pretty well against a poor team. Dallas was a totally different matter, and I think JH junked his individual training of each OL player for Dallas because of cowboys being thin to awful at LB, CB, and DB. Basically they were vulnerable to the pass, but primarily because of injuries. I think JH took a chance and accelerated his teaching the OL how to pass block , not to mention run block, thinking he might just steal a game from Dallas due to lots of D backfield injuries. Hence I believe he changed his game plan and went with the 5 -7 step drops, not being fully aware that Ware only needed about half that time to get to alex. Ultimately it failed, and I hope JH returns to hand training each and every OL guy out there in the art of passblocking...which they still don't have down.

Granted, we still could have won that game had JH forsaken the FG ,and taken the 15 yd penalty, and then eaten some clock, maybe 2 and a half minutes, and then kicked the FG. Actually, we had them until that bonehead call. This loss was on JH. He goofed, so let's leave it at that and get back to work on OL. Above, someone mentioned coaching around the OL weakness, specifically 8 men in the box. JH somehow couldn't figure out that meant 7, 8, or 9 guys coming, and still went with 5-7 step drops...all destined to fail...which they did. JH learned some good lessons in this game, and unlike noln or BM, i expect him to remember them. He has to stick with hands on work with the OL to teach these guys how to properly play their positions. Later he can teach them how to read blocks. But a lot of this foolishness could have been avoided with alex told to call quick slants every time 8 guys showed up at LOS.

Oh, and as far as frank goes, he won't get any yds (more than 2.0) until JH teaches the OL how to Run block. Right now he is still working with them on passblocking. My initial guess was that the OL would catch on around game 10. I am afraid that may be a pretty good estimate. But they will get it, because JH will make them learn it. He basically inheirited an 8 yr uncoached team...and that is a lot to try and change.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Staley-Iupati-Goodwin-Kilgore-Boone

Make it happen!
Geek, anything is better than what we have now. I believe the Ol just doesn't understand how to play their positions. Maybe some new blood will work better. No argument from me on the above lineup. What we have now doesn't know how to block...either for passing or running.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Staley-Iupati-Goodwin-Kilgore-Boone

Make it happen!

If anything Staley needs to be benched. Davis hasn't been beat nearly as much as Staley.

I think you both are right and why not try different guys in actual gametime to see if someone actually knows how to block , both pass and run. What's it going to do, make our OL play worse?? that seems pretty hard to believe. Yes, JH could have schemed around our OL inability to passblock by throwing quick slants until Dallas finally backed off the line. But Jh is going to see more box 8 until he finally realizes you can only throw quick short slants against it. Running or deep drops won't work. This was coaching error as much as anything else. I also bet JH got the message when he rewatches this game film.
Originally posted by Uppercut:
The OLine is not that bad. It's not Great but it's not the worst in the League. Smith has no pocket awareness.

Have we been watching the same line. AD needs to improve, and staley is over rated he doesn't live up to the hype against stars like dware. Other then that mike will be a stud and it's nice to see racheal actually knows he's playing football!
We can't do a damned thing. We just have to be patient and trust that this coaching staff knows what they are doing.
Originally posted by insanemike27:
We can't do a damned thing. We just have to be patient and trust that this coaching staff knows what they are doing.

Not so insane after all...
  • dmax
  • Veteran
STALEY NEEDS TO SIT...PERIOD
Share 49ersWebzone