There are 171 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What can we do about the O-line?

Second quarter

15:00, first and 10, Cowboys' 41: Maybe you can blame the lockout for this sack. The play was poorly executed. Either way, the 49ers obviously need more work.On the play, quarterback Alex Smith was supposed to fake a handoff, roll away from the line and throw to the running back or tight end Vernon Davis with a quick screen. Davis initially blocked outside linebacker Anthony Spencer. Then, as you're supposed to do with screens, he let Spencer go. But Davis let Spencer loose too soon or the play was slow to develop. Spencer was immediately in Smith's face for the sack. It's notable that this was the only sack that didn't lead to an Andy Lee punt.

4:36, second and 10, 49ers' 30: This sack was a simple case of Dallas having more rushers than the 49ers had blockers. The Cowboys sent seven and the 49ers had just six blockers. The unblocked man was defensive end Jason Hatcher, who crashed into Smith. Running back Frank Gore may be Smith's emergency outlet, but he slipped while trying to get through the line. Smith had no time to get a pass away anyway.
Third quarter

14:12, third and eight, 49ers' 22: Sack No. 3 was due to poor technique. The Cowboys rushed only five and the 49ers had seven to protect, including Gore and tight end Delanie Walker. Spencer, however, split the double team of Joe Staley and Mike Iupati,and flushed Smith, who was in the shotgun, to his left where Hatcher, looping around to the outside, was waiting for him. Hatcher got credit for the sack, but Spencer made it happen.6:39, first and 10, Cowboys'

49: After a big, 43-yard kickoff return by Kendall Hunter, the 49ers lost momentum with another first-down sack.
Staley and Iupati were double-teaming DeMarcus Ware, who slipped past the outside of Staley's left shoulder and then swiped at the ball just as Smith brought his arm back to throw.
Smith did a remarkable job of holding onto the ball but, once again, minus-seven yards was too much for the offense to make up. Three plays later, the 49ers punted.

Fourth quarter

5:31, second and eight, 49ers' 35 : This play can be looked at in contrast to the effective play fake the Cowboys ran in overtime on which cornerback Carlos Rogersand safety Donte Whitner bit hook, line and sinker.The 49ers ran their own play fake, this one coupled with a rollout by Smith to his right. Neither Spencer nor Ware was blocked. It's hard to say how the 49ers were going to account for Ware, last year's NFL sacks leader, on the play. Maybe they thought he would bite inside. He didn't, and he easily sacked Smith for an eight-yard loss.

Overtime

13:52, second and three, 49ers' 39: The Cowboys had scored on their last two drives to send the game to overtime, and there was no way the 49ers wanted to take a negative play and give the ball back.The Cowboys rushed five, but Ware broke off his rush to cover Gore, to whom Smith wanted to check down. Meanwhile, nose tackle Jay Ratliff turned center Jonathan Goodwin's shoulders and charged toward Smith.
Smith's vision was locked to his left, but no one was open. Had he turned to his right, he would have seen Joshua Morgan all alone. But there was no time, and Smith was sacked for the sixth time.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/09/21/3925770/how-all-those-dallas-sacks-of.html#ixzz1Yb6Eo7dr

the only sacked he can possibly be blamed for was the last one and its because he decided to look left first instead of the right first
On further reflection of the game, only 3 of the 6 sacks were due to linemen getting beat. The other 3 were due to poor play execution or not enough blockers to pick up all of the rushers. Considering that the Dallas front 7 is very good, I'd say 3 sacks in two games isn't bad. The OL isn't that bad. What concerns me is the OL's lack of push on running plays. Given that this line was built from the ground up to be very good at run blocking, this is especially discouraging. I'm hoping that it's just a matter of picking up new blocking schemes and that they will look solid by the season's end. If not, we may need to rebuild the OL through the draft and free agency.
Originally posted by pete98146:
Sometimes the truth hurts! Until the opposing team has any modicum of respect for our QB, defenses will load the box and pin their ears back. This puts undue pressure on the offensive line. Alex will never be mistaken for Joe Montana or John Brodie in the pocket. QB the most important position on the field? Yes, without a doubt because it has SO much effect on other areas. Until Alex is gone, the offensive line will struggle. Those of you that can't see the correlation are blind.

So if that is the case, why has Gore been putting up all the good rushing totals over the course of his career? If you think that is all on Smith, you are letting your emotions get the better of your reasoning. The line is switching to a zone blocking scheme, and they are struggling with it, that has absolutely nothing at all to do with the qb. I agree we Ned to take advantage of the defenses and try to make them pay, but there has to be some competent pass blocking to give time for the routes to develop. You might want to open your eyes before you accuse others of being blind. We are ranked ninth in scoring with Smith at qb without a running game or much in the way of pass protection, as well as overly conservative play calling.
Originally posted by pyroglass:
I don't think our O line is totally the problem. We go in to every game with the opposing Defense Game plan is to stack the box since we have no passing game. It's easy to make a 5 man front look bad by making them block 8 men.

We need a passing presence/threat in order for out O line to look as it should talentwise

this
Many people have forgotten that in the past we had horrible lines to then see vast improvement with one player like Dave Fiore, Gogan, Roy Foster,Kirk Scrafford , Larry Allen etc. We need only one f**kup to louse up everything. IMO once that is determined the team should do ok. I think the sore point is the interior line and both Person and Kilgore need some more seasoning but when they do come on line the team should improve.
Another post where a legit question is posed and the Smith haters have to take it into a different direction (just bash Alex)

This is a very tiresome theme on this site but what can you do?

This TEAM is not just Alex but instead a collection of players and units trying to come together in a very short period of time.

The Oline is one such unit. I've been hard on the oline but realistically I think its gonna take a few more weeks for them to get the new blocking scheme down to where its second nature an not something they have to think about.

Unil the oline gets to that place, the running game and pass protection will suffer and thus our O as a whole will be limited. Anyone on this site who cannot process that reality has a very limited football IQ.
Hope they can hurry up, but my patience is ultra-thin with center Goodwin. He has been pretty awful, and has me looking at (Jeebus help me) Adam Snyder as an option there. Goodwin gets no push for Gore, has sluggish and sometimes lazy feet in pass pro as well.
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/09/20/re-focused-cowboys-49ers/

● Five of the six sacks Alex Smith absorbed were the result of blitzes. It wasn't all bad though, when he wasn't being sacked, he did complete nine of the 10 throws he got off in the face of blitzers.

● Seem like the 49ers' offensive line played badly? While they weren't great, looks can be deceiving. Of the 20 Quarterback Disruptions they gave up (combined sacks, hits and hurries), nine came through unblocked. Chalk that one up to Rob Ryan and his blitzing ways
There is nothing we can do as of now. They are bunch of plaw horses that are slow and can't move. Given up six sacks is not acceptable at this level.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
im hoping it will take time...remember its a new blocking scheme...going from
man to a zone blocking
Originally posted by 190836:
There is nothing we can do as of now. They are bunch of plaw horses that are slow and can't move. Given up six sacks is not acceptable at this level.

That is funny because back when I played in high school our coach would say teaching some of our bigger linemen was akin to teaching a plowhorse to tapdance,lol.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by pete98146:
Sometimes the truth hurts! Until the opposing team has any modicum of respect for our QB, defenses will load the box and pin their ears back. This puts undue pressure on the offensive line. Alex will never be mistaken for Joe Montana or John Brodie in the pocket. QB the most important position on the field? Yes, without a doubt because it has SO much effect on other areas. Until Alex is gone, the offensive line will struggle. Those of you that can't see the correlation are blind.

So if that is the case, why has Gore been putting up all the good rushing totals over the course of his career? If you think that is all on Smith, you are letting your emotions get the better of your reasoning. The line is switching to a zone blocking scheme, and they are struggling with it, that has absolutely nothing at all to do with the qb. I agree we Ned to take advantage of the defenses and try to make them pay, but there has to be some competent pass blocking to give time for the routes to develop. You might want to open your eyes before you accuse others of being blind. We are ranked ninth in scoring with Smith at qb without a running game or much in the way of pass protection, as well as overly conservative play calling.

This ^^^^^^^
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Hope they can hurry up, but my patience is ultra-thin with center Goodwin. He has been pretty awful, and has me looking at (Jeebus help me) Adam Snyder as an option there. Goodwin gets no push for Gore, has sluggish and sometimes lazy feet in pass pro as well.

Some fans in NOs mentioned when Goodwin was waived that he had benefited from All-Pro OGs, true? You also mentioned Rachal having difficulty--have you rewatched the game yet and do you have any other comments? Or have I missed them somewhere?

Staley being beaten so badly was disappointing to me as I had hoped he would get back to being a stable influence. Glad Smith is a tough guy!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 21, 2011 at 5:25 PM ]
The o-line needs time to work with their coach. Give them that. The wco depends on line angles and timing patterns. The question I have is why doesn't Harbaugh run mor three step passes? Why doesn't he roll Alex out more? I really think he doesn't truly know what he has yet. Other teams can rely on old terminology for line calls and play calling. The 49ersvare at a real disadvantage in that area.