LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 364 users in the forums

What can we do about the O-line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

A better substitution.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Banned from 49ers.com?

Sometimes the truth hurts! Until the opposing team has any modicum of respect for our QB, defenses will load the box and pin their ears back. This puts undue pressure on the offensive line. Alex will never be mistaken for Joe Montana or John Brodie in the pocket. QB the most important position on the field? Yes, without a doubt because it has SO much effect on other areas. Until Alex is gone, the offensive line will struggle. Those of you that can't see the correlation are blind.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:09 PM ]
Originally posted by pete98146:
Banned from 49ers.com?

Sometimes the truth hurts! Until the opposing team has any modicum of respect for our QB, defenses will load the box and pin their ears back. This puts undue pressure on the offensive line. Alex will never be mistaken for Joe Montana in the pocket. QB the most important position on the field? Yes, without a doubt because it has SO much effect on other areas. Until Alex is gone, the offensive line will struggle. Those of you that can't see the correlation are blind.

Let me get out my white cane .......... so I can beat you with it. J/K
Sometimes the truth hurts! Until the opposing team has any modicum of respect for our QB, defenses will load the box and pin their ears back. This puts undue pressure on the offensive line. Alex will never be mistaken for Joe Montana in the pocket. QB the most important position on the field? Yes, without a doubt because it has SO much effect on other areas. Until Alex is gone, the offensive line will struggle. Those of you that can't see the correlation are blind.

So true

The Bills line sucked until they got Fitzpatrick back there
Banned from 49ers.com?

Sometimes the truth hurts! Until the opposing team has any modicum of respect for our QB, defenses will load the box and pin their ears back. This puts undue pressure on the offensive line. Alex will never be mistaken for Joe Montana or John Brodie in the pocket. QB the most important position on the field? Yes, without a doubt because it has SO much effect on other areas. Until Alex is gone, the offensive line will struggle. Those of you that can't see the correlation are blind.

This sounds pretty damn accurate. Alex needs to make these defense pay and respect him!
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Love this quote:

"No matter how many extra offensive linemen Harbaugh puts in the game, the team won't be able to run the ball effectively until Alex Smith shows he can burn defenses for stacking the line of scrimmage. In today's NFL you've got to set up the run with the pass, not the other way around."

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/09/inside-the-49ers/phil-simms-condemns-conservative-offenses/
The 9ers line was rated as one of the worst before the season started, it's hard to believe they haven't gone down from there. They are playing as if they have changed schemes and offenses and have a new center. They are also playing as if they are young...terribly, terribly young. Average experience of 3 years except for their over the hill (?) center.

I would like to see them try bringing in Boone and Kilgore once in a while just for a change of pace. Could they be better together than Davis and Rachal? Kilgore really plays with a mean streak and takes the game personally...I like that! If they don't improve by midseason I would like to see them try switching Davis and Staley, and replace Rachal and Goodwin with Kilgore and Snyder...or...help!...
Maybe put him in the shotgum more...give him a few more seconds ... they will be fine, I hope.
Originally posted by pyroglass:
I don't think our O line is totally the problem. We go in to every game with the opposing Defense Game plan is to stack the box since we have no passing game. It's easy to make a 5 man front look bad by making them block 8 men.

We need a passing presence/threat in order for out O line to look as it should talentwise

exactly

Originally posted by Shaj:
Love this quote:

"No matter how many extra offensive linemen Harbaugh puts in the game, the team won't be able to run the ball effectively until Alex Smith shows he can burn defenses for stacking the line of scrimmage. In today's NFL you've got to set up the run with the pass, not the other way around."

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/09/inside-the-49ers/phil-simms-condemns-conservative-offenses/

Agree. How about a friggin' slant on FIRST and/or SECOND down instead of third and long? This isn't rocket science. I've seen some pretty decent play designs run on third and long that would be great to use on first or second down. Need to give it a shot.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Love this quote:

Agree. How about a friggin' slant on FIRST and/or SECOND down instead of third and long? This isn't rocket science. I've seen some pretty decent play designs run on third and long that would be great to use on first or second down. Need to give it a shot.

Also agree! The first rule of the WCO (my rule not Walsh's necessarily) is to kill the D by spreading them out an making them cover the entire field. That means reading the D and calling audibles effectively. That won't work as well against a team like Dallas because they disguise their passrusher so well, but Smith must become better at spotting the open areas and trying to audible towards it.

I would also like more rollouts to give the line some help. a power roll out with VD and Gore leading the way, and then perhaps slipping past the rushers when Smith is able to set up? They had one play like that in the Dallas game and it went for about ten yards (good blocking after the catch).
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
Originally posted by Uppercut:
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
And the coach calls the pass plays and so far Smith has executed well enough to give us the lead without any help from the run game.

How can you give all the credit to Smith?

I just give him credit for giving us the lead while he is getting pummeled and sacked by the opposition who haven't even been touched or slowed down and with no help from any kind of a run game , now that makes life very tough for most QB's.

I bet you see it differently ...... or maybe you don't see it. This is a complete waist of time. Go back to your opinion.

Right approach with this guy, he is absolutely not worth wasting the time trying to reason with and obviously doesn't comprehend football.
Originally posted by Uppercut:
The OLine is not that bad. It's not Great but it's not the worst in the League. Smith has no pocket awareness.

i disagree completely

i agree it used to be pretty bad but this year it has been verry verry good

look at matts breakdown there was nothing he can do about the sacks
Originally posted by LundyLove:

So true

The Bills line sucked until they got Fitzpatrick back there

no they sucked last year

now they run a spread offense and are always in shotgun formation

that is why there o line ahs improved
Share 49ersWebzone