LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

What can we do about the O-line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dmax:
get boone..and kilgore in now...before its to late

If not Boone then go sign Sims if he is not to fat. He was playing a lot better last year then Staley is this year.
Chilo needs to get benched. I believe he's out of shape or just doesn't try too hard. He was awful before he got benched for Snyder. Was moving with no explosion at all, then, Goodwin gets hurt, Snyder moves to Center, Chilo comes back in the game and is playing like an energizer bunny. Coaching staff needs to call him out. Davis also looked fat and slow last night.
The question should be why is the OL bad?

1. Talent? Nope
2. Size? Nope
3. Skill? Nope
4. WCO? Yes!!!

Look at Oakland. There OL is all of a sudden playing much better. Why is our OL playing worse than last year when they were in a basic offense? Could it be because they thought less? I think the OL have the most to learn in the WCO than anyone else.

I have a feeling the OL will get much better by the bye week IF they stay mentally strong and don't let the failure get to their confidence in their ability.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Can someone make a clip of the ref saying, "False start. Entire offensive line."

i couldnt believe he said that..ive never heard that ..EVER

That means the center missed the snap count. I've seen it before. So essentially it was a penalty on Goodwin - he hasn't looked like he was worth the money!
Originally posted by Joecool:

1. Talent? Nope
2. Size? Nope
3. Skill? Nope
4. WCO? Yes!!!

Look at Oakland. There OL is all of a sudden playing much better. Why is our OL playing worse than last year when they were in a basic offense? Could it be because they thought less? I think the OL have the most to learn in the WCO than anyone else.

I have a feeling the OL will get much better by the bye week IF they stay mentally strong and don't let the failure get to their confidence in their ability.

I hope you are right! With the exception of Rachal, I think they have a chance to improve as they gain confidence and experience in the wco blocking schemes.
Originally posted by Joecool:

1. Talent? Nope
2. Size? Nope
3. Skill? Nope
4. WCO? Yes!!!

I think you are right about the bye week.

The Oline is having a toughh time with the scheme and its complexity but after putting what little time they had in the preseaon to work in the games before the bye, they will have a much better understanding of what the coachs are trying to get them to do.

I'm hoping that the bye will provide the coaches with enough film to help show them what they are doing wrong and or right.

If during the bye a pericular player is not getting it, its time for that guy to go and bring in Kilgore or shuffle things up.

The oline is the key to our sucess the rest of the year. If they cannot open up more holes in the running game and provide better pass protection, we are doomed.
Originally posted by bret:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Can someone make a clip of the ref saying, "False start. Entire offensive line."

i couldnt believe he said that..ive never heard that ..EVER

That means the center missed the snap count. I've seen it before. So essentially it was a penalty on Goodwin - he hasn't looked like he was worth the money!

Did the ref really say that? thats awesome
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I mean we have three 1st rounders, a second rounder, and a decently paid free agent. We can't cut them or bench them (much to expensive), right?

So what can we do, other than sit around and watch them grow up on the field? How much of a leash will these guys get, 2-4 years? Reminder this is year two for two of them.

Do we go out and draft more of these young guys or should we grab high priced free agents and have all of our $ tied up in o-linemen.

Your thoughts?
Convice them to pull the tampoon out and do work.
It's 90% scheme and 10% talent. I'm not convinced that Smith can play. Staley is a much better RT than LT - he got worked yesterday on several plays. Iupati seems legit. Rachael ... meh. I wouldn't mind if we switched Staley to RT and gave Smith a look at guard. Sims would be an upgrade at LT, IMO.

• dj43
Originally posted by midrdan:
It's 90% scheme and 10% talent. I'm not convinced that Smith can play. Staley is a much better RT than LT - he got worked yesterday on several plays. Iupati seems legit. Rachael ... meh. I wouldn't mind if we switched Staley to RT and gave Smith a look at guard. Sims would be an upgrade at LT, IMO.

Originally posted by dj43:

this
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Did the ref really say that? thats awesome

Yes really...my face was like
  • JC49
  • Veteran
The line is playing badly. As far as the passing game I see a lot of people taking shots at Alex (both here and on the field). He was 75% on his passes last week and 67% this week with one pick on the season. When you can be that accurate with a concussion while getting sacked eleven times he should be getting thanked not criticized. Who knows how many hits and hurries went along with those sacks. Its old blaming Alex. I am not saying one way or the other whether he's good or bad. When he gets killed back there, and he has to at this rate, then everybody will see a drop off. As far as running we can't average three yards per attempt and Gore didn't even make it through the third game. There's no running room. The line isn't getting it done in either aspect. I can't understand why they are so bad.

The point others are making is the coaching staff should be helping them and they don't appear to be. When we finally hired an offensive head coach I had higher hopes. A little creativity and some daring maybe. The only ray of light is each game we have seen a well designed play or two. News flash: opposing defenses are stacking the line of scrimmage like it's a goal line stand. Running or throwing the line can't block everybody effectively. I think they would struggle even if they were playing well. Until our offense attacks, and attacks more of the field, why should defenses change? I still believe Harbaugh was a good hire and he'll figure it out but it's hard to watch in the meantime. The only excuse is how much offense could we expect with mere weeks to install it.

It is very frustrating that poor line play has to sabotage strong efforts from the rest of the team.

Originally posted by JC49:
The line is playing badly. As far as the passing game I see a lot of people taking shots at Alex (both here and on the field). He was 75% on his passes last week and 67% this week with one pick on the season. When you can be that accurate with a concussion while getting sacked eleven times he should be getting thanked not criticized. Who knows how many hits and hurries went along with those sacks. Its old blaming Alex. I am not saying one way or the other whether he's good or bad. When he gets killed back there, and he has to at this rate, then everybody will see a drop off. As far as running we can't average three yards per attempt and Gore didn't even make it through the third game. There's no running room. The line isn't getting it done in either aspect. I can't understand why they are so bad.

The point others are making is the coaching staff should be helping them and they don't appear to be. When we finally hired an offensive head coach I had higher hopes. A little creativity and some daring maybe. The only ray of light is each game we have seen a well designed play or two. News flash: opposing defenses are stacking the line of scrimmage like it's a goal line stand. Running or throwing the line can't block everybody effectively. I think they would struggle even if they were playing well. Until our offense attacks, and attacks more of the field, why should defenses change? I still believe Harbaugh was a good hire and he'll figure it out but it's hard to watch in the meantime. The only excuse is how much offense could we expect with mere weeks to install it.

It is very frustrating that poor line play has to sabotage strong efforts from the rest of the team.

Good post, well said. JH knows what he is doing, he can only do it so fast. I hope with all the high draft picks we have spent on the O-line, they begin coming together soon and eliminate all the mental errors. Just getting rid of the mental errors would make our offense better.
Share 49ersWebzone