Originally posted by FL9er:
Harbaugh is going to do well. He needs time. At minimum he also needs:

QB
#1 WR
Deep threat
Another OLB
CB
FS

Once you guys stop overrating the 49ers overall talent and look at things objectively, the less pissed off you'll be. This is basically the same 6-10 team (that was with an easy schedule) with a different coach and a much harder schedule.

Actually, I'd say our schedule this year looks easier. I'd say, even with all other things being equal, we are capable of 8-8 simply due to the easier schedule.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
That may happen by default yes, but demanding a playoff caliber team is unreasonable.

Like I said, In the NFC west I demand Play offs. Period.

QB
#1 WR
Deep threat
Another OLB
CB
FS

Once you guys stop overrating the 49ers overall talent and look at things objectively, the less pissed off you'll be. This is basically the same 6-10 team (that was with an easy schedule) with a different coach and a much harder schedule.

its his fault with the whole QB situation......he deserves what he has coming to him. IMO, he and Alex should be tied to the hip...if the 49ers move on from Alex (like they most likely will next season, Harbs should go with him) If Alex plays well, then Harbs should stick around with him. (that is just the bitterness in me, it wouldn't make sense and would not be the best thing...but Damn him for bringing back Alex and not trusting Smith to take over a game)

but back to your post....

WR/deep threat...well I think Edwards covers both of those issues...along with using Ginn and Williams more.
CB- I like the combination of Rogers, Spencer, Brock.........it doesn't matter if we have a probowler in there some where, if we don't get a pass rush...QBs will find an open man.

we shouldn't have let Manny go....we should have just moved Manny over to where Haralson is (and traded his arse)...and keep Aldon Smith where he is.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 20, 2011 at 11:01 AM ]
I was screaming at the TV when JH declined the penalty and left the points on the board. 11 minutes left, our D is dog tired ( should have activated Dobbs for a hot afternoon game that was going to wear out the D line), take the ball on the 22 and run time off of the clock and try to score ( if a team takes a knee 3 times and kicks a field goal they have at least run 2.5-3 minutes off of the clock. Not taking the penalty said to Dallas "we are just a bunch of feable chicken sh*ts who know that you are going to beat us. We will just hide out on the side line and hope you beat yourselves". Take the ball on the 22, bring in Hunter and Dixon and run a misdirect or something Dallas hasn't seen. Different personel and different looks. Be bold and creative instead of running away with your tail between your legs. Man-up if you want to win instead of cowering. Gee, Dallas started throwing to a seldom used WR. Something the Niners weren't EXPECTING and got a 77yd pass play to win the game. Are you going to tell me that we don't have a halfback pass, a misdirection play, a run pass option with Kap, anything to make the other D uncomfortable if not panic. These types of plays need to be on the chart somewhere for these types of situations. By the 4th quarter of a hard fought game you need to have something fresh and different. You just can't keep doing the same old, same old.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
I was screaming at the TV when JH declined the penalty and left the points on the board. 11 minutes left, our D is dog tired ( should have activated Dobbs for a hot afternoon game that was going to wear out the D line), take the ball on the 22 and run time off of the clock and try to score ( if a team takes a knee 3 times and kicks a field goal they have at least run 2.5-3 minutes off of the clock. Not taking the penalty said to Dallas "we are just a bunch of feable chicken sh*ts who know that you are going to beat us. We will just hide out on the side line and hope you beat yourselves". Take the ball on the 22, bring in Hunter and Dixon and run a misdirect or something Dallas hasn't seen. Different personel and different looks. Be bold and creative instead of running away with your tail between your legs. Man-up if you want to win instead of cowering. Gee, Dallas started throwing to a seldom used WR. Something the Niners weren't EXPECTING and got a 77yd pass play to win the game. Are you going to tell me that we don't have a halfback pass, a misdirection play, a run pass option with Kap, anything to make the other D uncomfortable if not panic. These types of plays need to be on the chart somewhere for these types of situations. By the 4th quarter of a hard fought game you need to have something fresh and different. You just can't keep doing the same old, same old.

DAL loved that we declined that penalty. That alone shows it was a terrible decision mentally and strategically. They beat us with a practice squad player yet we can't even trust our starting offense and veteran kicker to be able to push the ball forward even though our offense score a TD in the 3rd quarter.

This one will come back to haunt us.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

QB
#1 WR
Deep threat
Another OLB
CB
FS

its his fault with the whole QB situation......he deserves what he has coming to him. IMO, he and Alex should be tied to the hip...if the 49ers move on from Alex (like they most likely will next season, Harbs should go with him) If Alex plays well, then Harbs should stick around with him. (that is just the bitterness in me, it wouldn't make sense and would not be the best thing...but Damn him for bringing back Alex and not trusting Smith to take over a game)

but back to your post....

WR/deep threat...well I think Edwards covers both of those issues...along with using Ginn and Williams more.
CB- I like the combination of Rogers, Spencer, Brock.........it doesn't matter if we have a probowler in there some where, if we don't get a pass rush...QBs will find an open man.

we shouldn't have let Manny go....we should have just moved Manny over to where Haralson is (and traded his arse)...and keep Aldon Smith where he is.

But actually Afrik, do you really think it's lack of trust? See i dont really buy that to be honest. I dont know if even the personnel that we have will allow us to have the type of offense to stretch the field. So far, we dont have any of our no 1. WR's in the game yet. Morgan, Ginn, and Williams. I mean I cant see them beating too many defenders at all. When the play is there for the taking, Smith has took his shots, that beauty of a pass to Williams and Walker, were right on the money, and literally dropped right into their hands.

1 actual rushing TD first game, Then 2 passing TD's, and one INT, the next. There's no way thats not an improvement. But if the main weapon, VD is there to be a blocking TE then that takes away from the open field as well. No big bodied receivers, mixed with a weak O-line, makes tons of difference. I mean I dont care what anyone says, Im tired of seeing all the Good QB's have tons of time to make all the reads. I watched Flacco, Ryan, Eli, Bradford, and all these guys utilize the RB to make a play and they always seem to be open in the middle of the field. Why when ours gets the ball, maybe a 5 yard run if that.

Watch any of the first two games fellas, If your at the game, or have the TV, where u can watch any part of the game, then pay attention to the WR's. Why havent we run a little quick pass like when Romo threw that last one for the game winning drive in OT. Why because as soon as we would of dropped for the pass, Smith would of been sacked before even getting the pass off. Even Goodwin, said he felt bad in OT when he let the lineman get that sack. So he's telling u that he should of held up.

Overall, i just think that this lack of trust theory is one thats just made up because, the offense has opened from week 1 to 2. Other teams can get a win with their QB throwing for 2td's and 1 int. But the thing with ours, at least for right now, the running game needs to help out the passing game, and the defense needs to stop letting opposing offenses get behind them constantly. if it not had been for allowing over 420 total yards in passing I think, we damn should of won that game.
Harbs being tied to the hip with Alex is a one year deal due to the lockout and limited time to communicate/negotiate with FA's.

Cant believe some fans want Harbs gone if Alex goes because Alex is only here for one year, and then mop up duty to a team in need of a backup.

The lockout forced the coaches hand in finding the best alternative at QB after last season. Once Hasslebeck decided on Tenn, Alex is basically the best of the rest... and he's playing like it. Aside from Hasslebeck what other FA QB is playing better than Alex on their new team? Cant really take Kolb into consideration because it would of cost us a sh*t-ton of picks or one of our few stars like VD or JS. None of our players except for Willis who is off the table fit what Philly was looking for.

It's already apparent that this team is much better coached than at any point since 2002, our roster has the talent to beat bad teams but is still lacking overall consistentcy to beat the good teams in the league. The season isn't over, but once it is there will be some large turnover in certain areas to get the guys our coaches want on the team. They arent afraid to let non-producers go, and this year was forced to be evaluation year with the lockout.
i think we are
I think so. But EVERYONE NEEDS TO KEEP IN MIND THE TALENT WE HAVE. It's going to take time but I think we can see the positives. Dallas game just showed we need to learn how to close games. The offensive line has issues, but I seriously think if we had Edwards the rest of the game then smith would have had a legitimate wr. Vernon from what I saw was being doubled up.
Originally posted by wailers15:
I think so. But EVERYONE NEEDS TO KEEP IN MIND THE TALENT WE HAVE. It's going to take time but I think we can see the positives. Dallas game just showed we need to learn how to close games. The offensive line has issues, but I seriously think if we had Edwards the rest of the game then smith would have had a legitimate wr. Vernon from what I saw was being doubled up.

They beat us with a practice squad WR and a QB with what could have been a severe injury.

We HAVE talent. The only problem is that talent plays better when they go to another team or that talent gets worse when they come to our team. The talent thing is BS. We went straight conservative two straight games now. It nearly cost us last week and it did cost us this week.
Originally posted by Joecool:
They beat us with a practice squad WR and a QB with what could have been a severe injury.

We HAVE talent. The only problem is that talent plays better when they go to another team or that talent gets worse when they come to our team. The talent thing is BS. We went straight conservative two straight games now. It nearly cost us last week and it did cost us this week.

Correction: Their 4th receiver beat what should be our 4th CB. The other plays in the game was their 1st Receiver or ProBowl TE against our 2nd and 3rd safeties.

We have a 50 minute team... basically this team can match up with the majority of the league for 50 minutes, but when opponents are behind and are forced into 3 & 4 WR sets to win the game, we dont have the secondary to stop them. Our first two picks of the draft need to be BPA @ CB&S, unless a playmaker (Barkley, Upshaw, etc.) falls into our laps.
Originally posted by 5280High:

Correction: Their 4th receiver beat what should be our 4th CB. The other plays in the game was their 1st Receiver or ProBowl TE against our 2nd and 3rd safeties.

We have a 50 minute team... basically this team can match up with the majority of the league for 50 minutes, but when opponents are behind and are forced into 3 & 4 WR sets to win the game, we dont have the secondary to stop them. Our first two picks of the draft need to be BPA @ CB&S, unless a playmaker (Barkley, Upshaw, etc.) falls into our laps.

Those are a bunch of excuses. Many times 82 was double-teamed with Willis or Bowman and a SS.

CIN has a rookie QB and rookie WR and pretty much nobody else. They are doing just fine passing the ball. There is something we are doing on offense and it is not working.

Those are a bunch of excuses. Many times 82 was double-teamed with Willis or Bowman and a SS.

CIN has a rookie QB and rookie WR and pretty much nobody else. They are doing just fine passing the ball. There is something we are doing on offense and it is not working.

We are doing just fine passing the ball too, but only for 1.5-2 quarters a game. Once we get ahead, we purposely shutdown the offense and go into ultra-conservative mode. This is obviously intentional and has nothing to do with our level of talent. My guess is that Harbaugh doesn't want to call plays that haven't been consistently well executed in practice. This is probably a good rule to follow in general, but when your opponents are breathing down your neck and lighting up your defense I think this rule needs to be througn out the window.
Originally posted by blm7754:

We are doing just fine passing the ball too, but only for 1.5-2 quarters a game. Once we get ahead, we purposely shutdown the offense and go into ultra-conservative mode. This is obviously intentional and has nothing to do with our level of talent. My guess is that Harbaugh doesn't want to call plays that haven't been consistently well executed in practice. This is probably a good rule to follow in general, but when your opponents are breathing down your neck and lighting up your defense I think this rule needs to be througn out the window.

Not only is he calling conservative in the second half, our offense is getting eaten up. The blocking was solid in the first half and they make adjustments and crash on our QB. We don't do anything about it or don't seem to do anything.

We are not getting better because the same mistakes in Game 1 were made in Game 2. I'm not comparing to last year...I refuse to. We have gotten worse from game 1 to game 2 simply by staying the same.
Originally posted by backontop:
We could be a lot better if Harbaugh would stop handcuffing the offense and open the damn playbook.

The West Coast Offense is one of the most complicated offenses in the NFL. By player accounts, it is a very thick playbook. (All NFL playbooks for that matter) My question to you is, do you think that the the 49er offense has that playbook mastered in a month and a half? And if your honest answer is no, then how can they possibly open it up? You can't master a High School Play book in a month in a half, if you played or coached High school ball you'd know this to be true. Our desires for what we want the 49ers to do and what IS, are two different things. The offense will open up when they have the ability to open it up. Everyone is expecting instant oatmeal but look the circumstances that we are in, that led up to this season, and you use logic, and a little common sense you'll see that we are as well as can be expected.