LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Are we getting better?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I see some improvements, but its hard to expect a lot with the amount of time they had together in the off season. The run game is not doing well and that has to get better. Alex had 1 interception and no fumbles in 2 games so he is taking care of the ball so far.

The thing that frustrates me the most is the Niners didn't take advantage of a "wounded" cowboys team. No Dez Bryant, banged up secondary, Romo playing with broken ribs and punctured lung........ I understand the play it safe and control the game, but we had them down and basically let them back up.

The true measure of improvement will be learning how to win games they should win. IMO So far they don't seem to have the confidence to believe they can win.......

Look at the lead they had in the Seattle game. If Ginn doesn't score 2 TD's do the Niners win that game?
people around here need to relize , that this is a new system , the team did not have a normal off season . by the way on both sides of the ball not only the O the D also ! its going to take time ! give Jim and the rest time so work their s**t out !
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
That too.

The Cowboys defense took the slant away Sunday. Until we can get the running game or down the field passing game going, it will be that way.
what moron thinks we go to OT with the cowgirls last year in week 2?

didnt we get blown out by seattle and the kc last year?
BrianGO, very nice post.

I thought much of that was spot on. I'd like to highlight your observation regarding how other teams can game plan 90% Gore. This isn't rocket science, but we keep doing it again and again and again. I disagree with your thoughts about the deep ball, I think you break this up with timing routes. As several of us have been asking, where are the slants?

Personally, when it comes to our aggressiveness I would have ignored the Big Decision. I think, regarding aggressiveness, our failure to bring a full blitz or jam receivers in the second half is much more telling. The Big Decision was a finite point in time, this Manusky Mk. II baloney is an ongoing issue that needs to be fixed, quickly. Rather than trying to punch the cut eye, we keep trying to cover our weaknesses in the secondary with that damned soft zone. We had our opponent with a cut eye on the ropes and we quit being aggressive. That, more than the Big Decision, played into the final result, in my estimation.

All told, I thought that was a very nice post.
It won't take Harbaugh as long to adjust to game situations compared to his predecessors. At least I hope so.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
That too.

The Cowboys defense took the slant away Sunday. Until we can get the running game or down the field passing game going, it will be that way.

I'm not being a forum jerk, but I'd like to learn how you arrived at that conclusion. It's an off camera route, as close as it is, and we seldom pass to it anyway.

Genuinely, I'd like to know what I'm missing.
I'm not being a forum jerk, but I'd like to learn how you arrived at that conclusion. It's an off camera route, as close as it is, and we seldom pass to it anyway.

No problem Bubba, most of the game they were dropping the lbs that were not blitzing into short zones in the middle to protect against crossing routes and slant. Ryan was calling fire zone blitzes which were invented specifically to combat the quick throws to the flats or slant and crossing routes, depending on who you drop into coverage and where. It really hurt to.not have our two best wideouts out there Sunday, not to mention having to keep Vernon in to block on half the passing plays.
No problem Bubba, most of the game they were dropping the lbs that were not blitzing into short zones in the middle to protect against crossing routes and slant. Ryan was calling fire zone blitzes which were invented specifically to combat the quick throws to the flats or slant and crossing routes, depending on who you drop into coverage and where. It really hurt to.not have our two best wideouts out there Sunday, not to mention having to keep Vernon in to block on half the passing plays.

I appreciate that, Memphis. So it was basically the same stuff that Carolina beat us up with fifteen years ago? Assuming so, I certainly see where you're coming from regarding the receivers.

If that is the case, that does put the spotlight on VD. Rather than running the hard routes, it sounds like he needs to pull a play from Brett Jones' playbook and learn how to seek space in the squishy part of the zone.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:40 AM ]

To the best of my knowledge, even in a fire zone, you should be able to hit the slants on the wide side of the field, especially if you have the outside receiver and the slot BOTH run slants. A couple successful quick fades also beats up the fire zone when the cbs press to disrupt timing routes.

Originally posted by WRATHman44:

To the best of my knowledge, even in a fire zone, you should be able to hit the slants on the wide side of the field, especially if you have the outside receiver and the slot BOTH run slants. A couple successful quick fades also beats up the fire zone when the cbs press to disrupt timing routes.

The fades were there, the midrange outs were too. They should have attacked the wide side of the field, but it never happened. If the line would handle its business, Vernon would be free to capitalize on the fire zone, a TE with speed like his should give zones fits.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

It's a great point, but how often did we have a slot receiver on Sunday?
Well I was talking about more of from the progress we have showed from game 1 to game 2, can you say that game 3 is going to show us with more success. Is that tale of us being a dynamic offense by week 8 on track? Are we showing enough to be able to get our hopes up for a division title? Can we pull a Seattle and upset a team in the first round of the playoffs? What progress have we shown this season?

From what i've seen, like i said, Alex posted a better game and the play book was opened up a little bit. Can Alex show Harbaugh that he can handle more of the playbook next week? I think so, and I think by week 4 we might see an open playbook that is ready to show that creativity that Harbaugh and Roman bring to the table. Opinions?
Originally posted by DONBIS:
You never stay the same. You can only get better or get worse.

Yeah that's true and we are 1-1 and not 0-5 , there is my answer.

It's the simple truth
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:16 AM ]
Call me crazy but i'm even more excited after this game. Compare the offenses from the first and second games. Felt different and felt good. It feels like we're getting better each game. Our defense in the first half was pretty damn good, they just need to keep that momentum up. I think right now our coaches are still feeling the players out and they'll figure out how to keep that momentum going the entire game. For the first time in years, i'm actually getting more excited as the season progresses.
Share 49ersWebzone