There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Keep the points or take the first down?

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Really..? When it's closer than the one that was made from further out? I think you mean there 'may' be a chance we might miss. Not 'more likely' to miss.

Statistically, Akers misses 30% of his kicks between 40 and 49 yards - higher outdoors.We also could have turned the ball over easily -- we were sacked on 20% of all pass plays on Sunday -- fumbles? INTs?

Those are the same risk you take every time any offense takes the field. I know Harbaugh is not anywhere near Singletary conservative. But I think he went Siingletary on the team with that decision.
if we would have won, it would have been the best coaching decision ever... just so happens our defense that is so "great" let us down. we are 1-1, still early in the season..at least the seahawks got crushed and the cards lost... how would you like to be a seattle fan?? watching hassleback on the titans own the ravens elite defense
Originally posted by boqi:
What I'm saying is the Dallas offense has been walking all over you so you know they will continue to do so. They was scoring a TD on every possession. 3 points wouldn't be enough. They needed a lead of 2 TDs.

I is read and writes just fine.

But if the offense isn't working because we can't block, you're not going to be successful. You get the points you can and hope the defense can deliver.
Originally posted by forty9ers:
who gives a f@&k??

noob asking for someone to be banned.

Those are the same risk you take every time any offense takes the field. I know Harbaugh is not anywhere near Singletary conservative. But I think he went Siingletary on the team with that decision.

Let's walk through this. My offense sucks today, yet I find myself with a 7 point lead. I can make it a two-score lead and hope my defense doesn't make any glaring mistakes and I will win.

Or I can gamble on my offense driving somehow and hoping we make a second field goal if the drive stalls.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Sep 18, 2011 at 11:08 PM ]
Originally posted by forty9ers:
if we would have won, it would have been the best coaching decision ever... just so happens our defense that is so "great" let us down. we are 1-1, still early in the season..at least the seahawks got crushed and the cards lost... how would you like to be a seattle fan?? watching hassleback on the titans own the ravens elite defense

Seattle is in the Luck sweepstakes, probably first in line w/ KC.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
It's good to know that there are a small minority of fans on this forum that actually understand the game of football. Games are NEVER decided by a single play or decision, but a comprehensive set of events from game-planning, to execution, to officiating, to pure luck. And, unfortunately for us, everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong in the finals minutes of this game.

But I can assure all of you, that Harbuaghs's decision was not one of these mistakes.

It wasn't a mistake, it just didn't give us a chance to put the Cowboys away. 28-14 instead of 24-14
It wasn't a mistake, it just didn't give us a chance to put the Cowboys away. 28-14 instead of 24-14

Yes, and that "chance" was pretty f-ing remote.
Sorry it was the wrong call. We lost. It was chicken and the players rose to the occasion. They're human beings, not computers. Put another way, it was timid and weak and those were exactly the characteristics our team played with for the remainder of the game. Sure they were already starting to falter a bit but damn dude, if they play with some boldness on the drive and actually get the TD, that's a lift to everyone on the team. Shoot even if they eat some more clock and then kick another FG, that's a better situation.
But if the offense isn't working because we can't block, you're not going to be successful. You get the points you can and hope the defense can deliver.

noob asking for someone to be banned.

Let's walk through this. My offense sucks today, yet I find myself with a 7 point lead. I can make it a two-score lead and hope my defense doesn't make any glaring mistakes and I will win.

Or I can gamble on my offense driving somehow and hoping we make a second field goal if the drive stalls.

We are talking about 3 more downs perhaps into the end zone at the end of a drive, not a drive or beginning of a drive. I think we are debating a different set of minds. Either aggressive or conservative. I'm of the former. We are underdogs in the game, were last year and most likely the rest of the year. What have we got to lose with trying to run 3 more plays and still get a chance to kick a closer FG.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 18, 2011 at 11:18 PM ]
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Sorry it was the wrong call. We lost. It was chicken and the players rose to the occasion. They're human beings, not computers. Put another way, it was timid and weak and those were exactly the characteristics our team played with for the remainder of the game. Sure they were already starting to falter a bit but damn dude, if they play with some boldness on the drive and actually get the TD, that's a lift to everyone on the team. Shoot even if they eat some more clock and then kick another FG, that's a better situation.

Out comes Sing...
We are talking about 3 more downs perhaps into the end zone at the end of a drive, not a drive or beginning of a drive. I think we are debating a different set of minds. Either aggressive or conservative. I'm of the former. We are underdogs in the game, were last year and most likely the rest of the year. What have we got to lose with trying to run 3 more plays and still get a chase to kick a closer FG.

99% of coaches are conservative with the lead.

And obviously so was the other option you're trying to champion. It did not win us the game.

It's even more remote if you don't even try.

Out comes Sing...
Thanks for the marginalization.

Out comes Sing...
Thanks for the marginalization.
And furthermore. The pendulum of momentum swings back and forth throughout most good games and it is propelled by emotion-which is a huge part of the game. Making that decision gave the 9ers no chance to swing that back. Making that decision gave them little chance to win the game as evidenced by the result. It's a mindset. Play not to lose or play to win. Today Harbaugh chose the former.
God, another high and mighty. Accepting the penalty wasn't that risky. You get the damn ball at the 22 yard line. Get to chew up clock and possibly score a TD. The offense was playing decent and there was a possibility that they would score a TD. Worst case scenario, an easy FG. Nothing is guaranteed, he might miss, a TO may happen, although, that mindset isn't always the right one. You have to coach one game at a time. At that particular time, the Cowboys' offense was raping our secondary. That ten point lead didn't make me feel too good. With this mindset, if you have a three point lead in the beginning of the fourth you should try and run out the clock. That isn't going to work. I hated that decision and I guarantee the team did. And at the end of the day it was a factor in this gut wrenching loss.