LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Keep the points or take the first down?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
No matter what you say we could have ate up 2 maybe more minutes of gametime and still wound up with the 2 score. We had an automatic 1st down there. Also consider that Akers missed 3 of 10 means that he still makes 7outta 10 from that distance and i like those odds. Basically what coach did is say that Alex still aint ready so ill leave it up to the D to get it back. Alex did fine playing today so dont get me wrong. But do you really think that we dont Attack if we have a better QB. Alex completed the ball 16 times and still only had 124 passing yds. FYI fitz caught more than that today. We are F'n happy over 124 passing yds
Originally posted by boqi:
The secondary is sucking, getting walked all over by an injured Tony Romo and offense. If you're Harbaugh you've gotta go up as many points as you can.

WRONG DECISION.

You don't read well. The surest way to put points on the board in that situation, statistically, was to take the 3 and decline the penalty.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
It's about winning. Think back to the last 6-7 years of this team. Did we have anything to lose by taking the 15 yds, run off more time, maybe win the game with a TD, and still have a chance at a FG after 3 more tries. It's not like we can't kick a FG on at the end of those fresh downs.

A chance for a knockout punch or wait on a decision at the end of the fight.

And again, we were more likely to miss the follow-up FG than score a TD. and what happens in the game then? We don't even go to overtime. Game over in the 4th quarter.

Really..? When it's closer than the one that was made from further out? I think you mean there 'may' be a chance we might miss. Not 'more likely' to miss.

There's no sure thing we will get a TD. But that's where having 3 downs gives you a good chance to try to get a TD. Then if you can't make it, you still have a shot at a FG on 4th down at a closer range. It's almost a no brainer if you have normal feeling of trust and confidence in your offense.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 18, 2011 at 11:01 PM ]
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
No matter what you say we could have ate up 2 maybe more minutes of gametime and still wound up with the 2 score. We had an automatic 1st down there. Also consider that Akers missed 3 of 10 means that he still makes 7outta 10 from that distance and i like those odds. Basically what coach did is say that Alex still aint ready so ill leave it up to the D to get it back. Alex did fine playing today so dont get me wrong. But do you really think that we dont Attack if we have a better QB. Alex completed the ball 16 times and still only had 124 passing yds. FYI fitz caught more than that today. We are F'n happy over 124 passing yds

So are you saying that we were more than 30% likely to score a touchdown? With our performance today?

Harbaugh has proven to be an excellent coach so far. He cannot attack and open it up because the offensive line is doing a terrible job of blocking, both in passing and running...especially pass-blocking (plays CANNOT DEVELOP)
Really..? When it's closer than the one that was made from further out? I think you mean there 'may' be a chance we might miss. Not 'more likely' to miss.

Statistically, Akers misses 30% of his kicks between 40 and 49 yards - higher outdoors.We also could have turned the ball over easily -- we were sacked on 20% of all pass plays on Sunday -- fumbles? INTs?
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Sorry This is a human football team not a bunch of nerds slicing weapons through pig carcasses and jellly mold of ppl and then inputting all of the data in to a puter and letting the puter decide who the victor is. On this day, that decision was chicken sh_t. Sent the wrong message to his team and the team lost. How in the hell was it the right decision? WE LOST. Period. Nice try though. Your argument seems sound, cojent, what have you but like is said it's played by humans. Harbough took a dump in his pants on this one.

TDilvr = Singletary? Seriously Bro, we tried the irrational, emotional coaching style and it failed miserably.
Yeah seriously bro. Actually, Sing was a terrible head coach because he didn't know how to game plan, game manage or make adjustments real time let alone at half time. There are plenty of successful coaches that get hot under the callar during the game. I saw Harbaugh lose his cool twice over what he thought were BS calls. Sing sucked because he doesn't know what the hell he is doing as a head coach. I would argue that it was his emotion that actually had hios team playing well for a a small stint there. After a while is lack of ability to actually coach caught up to him.
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Yeah seriously bro. Actually, Sing was a terrible head coach because he didn't know how to game plan, game manage or make adjustments real time let alone at half time. There are plenty of successful coaches that get hot under the callar during the game. I saw Harbaugh lose his cool twice over what he thought were BS calls. Sing sucked because he doesn't know what the hell he is doing as a head coach. I would argue that it was his emotion that actually had hios team playing well for a a small stint there. After a while is lack of ability to actually coach caught up to him.

You can lose your cool over a substitution snafu and still make the rights decision. Singletary thought he could simply will his team to victory.
Does the extra time off the clock running at least 3 plays factor in at all here?
  • boqi
  • Veteran
You don't read well. The surest way to put points on the board in that situation, statistically, was to take the 3 and decline the penalty.

What I'm saying is the Dallas offense has been walking all over you so you know they will continue to do so. They was scoring a TD on every possession. 3 points wouldn't be enough. They needed a lead of 2 TDs.

I is read and writes just fine.
Originally posted by dtb49ers:

How can someone with 53 posts be a "veteran"????

who gives a f@&k??

Statistically, Akers misses 30% of his kicks between 40 and 49 yards - higher outdoors.We also could have turned the ball over easily -- we were sacked on 20% of all pass plays on Sunday -- fumbles? INTs?

......and we also could have just gone for it and actually scored a TD too. Hell we'd done 3 times before in the game so.......guess you"ll never know unless you try.
It's good to know that there are a small minority of fans on this forum that actually understand the game of football. Games are NEVER decided by a single play or decision, but a comprehensive set of events from game-planning, to execution, to officiating, to pure luck. And, unfortunately for us, everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong in the finals minutes of this game.

But I can assure all of you, that Harbuaghs's decision was not one of these mistakes.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
ya basically a lot of things needed to go wrong to make harbaugh look stupid for that decision..... and they did.

You know what would have made him look stupid? Accepting the penalty, running twice for 4 or 5 yards, seeing Alex get sacked (again), and missing a 44-yarder.

true (i didn't have a problem with the call btw).
Originally posted by 1swift:
Does the extra time off the clock running at least 3 plays factor in at all here?

Depends what the play selections were. And if Dallas was only down by 7 they would have been driving for a game-winning FG, not a tie or TD-win. Totally different series for them with different results.
Originally posted by boqi:
What I'm saying is the Dallas offense has been walking all over you so you know they will continue to do so. They was scoring a TD on every possession. 3 points wouldn't be enough. They needed a lead of 2 TDs.

I is read and writes just fine.

But if the offense isn't working because we can't block, you're not going to be successful. You get the points you can and hope the defense can deliver.
Share 49ersWebzone