LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 149 users in the forums

Keep the points or take the first down?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
I didn't mind the decision much but Harbaugh had to factor in the ability of the Cowboys to score twice in the time permitted. Teams with effective offenses going against the niners are always going to have pretty good chances of putting up 2 scores with that much time left on the clock.

It may have been the right decision to make but I do hate the "playing not to lose" mentality. I am happy it was a close game. Close games against good opponents are a step in the right direction. I'm actually enjoying watching the offense!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I think we got to take the penalty. At worst we get a couple extra yards to make a shorter field goal. At best we get a touchdown and the game is over.

What makes you think they couldn't get 2 TD's with 5 minutes left. They did get 1 TD and an intermediate FG. If they HAD to they could have easily made that intermediate FG a TD. They opted for a game tying FG because they didn't have to get a TD.

I agree.
i would have taken the first down......it shows faith.
if harbaugh could do it all over again, i'm sure he'd take the penalty. in the heat of the moment, he's thinking, it's a two possession lead, why risk it? forced to make a quick decision. Rookie HC mistake IMO. forgiven.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
if harbaugh could do it all over again, i'm sure he'd take the penalty. in the heat of the moment, he's thinking, it's a two possession lead, why risk it? forced to make a quick decision. Rookie HC mistake IMO. forgiven.

Based on the flow of THIS game it was reasonable it was reasonable. Dallas' only TD in the 2nd half was set up by a pick and I'm sure they were aware Romo was wounded. I remember Dallas' first play after the Akers FG, McDonald blew up the middle to sack Romo and I was thinking we got this. Then the roof caved in.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Based on the flow of THIS game it was reasonable it was reasonable. Dallas' only TD in the 2nd half was set up by a pick and I'm sure they were aware Romo was wounded. I remember Dallas' first play after the Akers FG, McDonald blew up the middle to sack Romo and I was thinking we got this. Then the roof caved in.

Agree! Thought the same thing and was disappointed but Romo showed me something; and I have to say he turned my opinion about him 180 degrees. If it's that important to show the offense you have faith in them, why not get rid of the punter? That would show the ultimate respect!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 21, 2011 at 7:00 AM ]
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Theres exceptions to every rule. A fresh set of downs inside the 5 would certainly be an exception.

What part of what I said was confusing?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the decision (we don't know what Harbaugh knows after seeing the O day in and day out). But if we assume Harbaugh made an informed/intelligent decision, he decided: 3 points (and therefore, two-score lead) > a FG attempt + the time run off the clock - the potential for a turnover / negative yardage.

Very good synopsis, but you also need to subtract the probability of miss (pMISS). Thank you.
Share 49ersWebzone