There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

why do we never throw the ball down the field?

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
49ers definitely need to take more shots down field. Stretch the defense out. As of right now the opposing defense has to know the ball will almost never be thrown more then a handful of times over 15 yards if that. And that only makes it harder to "Singletary" the ball up the field.

We've got to get a healthy deep threat receiver that can catch the ball before we can just chuck it down the field. Edwards was out yesterday and Ginn can't catch. What do to?
Well you have a point. But it's not always what a guy runs the 40 in that makes him a deep threat in as much as can beat the jam at the line of scrimmage,change directions and sell the route to get separation? And in order to do that you have to at least call a play that allows the WR the opportunity to do this.

DAL just beat us with their practice squad player and he didn't appear very fast as Whitner closed on him quickly.

It is not always about having the perfect receiver before you can throw deep. Brandon Lloyd is a deep threat now. Even Jason Hill got more deep balls as soon as he went onto another team.

Either Smith doesn't like throwing he jump ball or we don't call them. I have a feeling we are not the only team in the NFL that doesn't call the deep ball play and it is more that the QB passes them up.

I didn't see many deep routes called this past game. I lay part of that on the recognition that the OL is not capable of protecting for the 3+ seconds necessary to throw it deep.

FWIW, the reason Holley went 77 yards was not play design but poor defensive technique and the wrong defense. It was a basic 12 yard pattern that the 49er blew coverage on.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Method:
What we need to do is hike the ball over smith more often so he suddenly can't think about what he's doing, and just plays with his god given talent... just heaves the ball 50+ yards on the run perfectly into his receivers hands. Do it.

I actually think this has a lot to do with it. I may be wrong but, man, when Smith isn't thinking and just reacting, he has made 4 or 5 very impressive plays just this year.

I'm sure Smith was told the moment he put on a Niners uni to be 'safe' by Nolan and Singletary. You have to have some sort of instinct to play qb. Smith has it but has to be within the offense. That play and a few others tells you as much, that he has the instinct to do it. Now let him take a few more risks into the second half of games but not to the end of the game. We will be good.

I would rather him throw an INT 40 yards down field than throw an INT on a curl route. He needs to understand that especially on 3rd downs because you may as well call it a punt. Andy Lee may kick his ass though for taking reps away.
Better question is, "why don't we throw more slants?"

Saw that one to Josh Morgan and it looked practically indefensible.
Smith made some nice throws on Sunday, including that long pass to Gore that wasn't completed due to PI. The pass to KW was a beauty too. Harbaugh needs to encourage the long throws.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I would rather him throw an INT 40 yards down field than throw an INT on a curl route. He needs to understand that especially on 3rd downs because you may as well call it a punt. Andy Lee may kick his ass though for taking reps away.

Not to derail the thread, but how about Lee and his SIXTY yard putting average? Unbelievable.
Smith made some nice throws on Sunday, including that long pass to Gore that wasn't completed due to PI. The pass to KW was a beauty too. Harbaugh needs to encourage the long throws.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
49ers definitely need to take more shots down field. Stretch the defense out. As of right now the opposing defense has to know the ball will almost never be thrown more then a handful of times over 15 yards if that. And that only makes it harder to "Singletary" the ball up the field.

We've got to get a healthy deep threat receiver that can catch the ball before we can just chuck it down the field. Edwards was out yesterday and Ginn can't catch. What do to?
Well you have a point. But it's not always what a guy runs the 40 in that makes him a deep threat in as much as can beat the jam at the line of scrimmage,change directions and sell the route to get separation? And in order to do that you have to at least call a play that allows the WR the opportunity to do this.

DAL just beat us with their practice squad player and he didn't appear very fast as Whitner closed on him quickly.

It is not always about having the perfect receiver before you can throw deep. Brandon Lloyd is a deep threat now. Even Jason Hill got more deep balls as soon as he went onto another team.

Either Smith doesn't like throwing he jump ball or we don't call them. I have a feeling we are not the only team in the NFL that doesn't call the deep ball play and it is more that the QB passes them up.

I didn't see many deep routes called this past game. I lay part of that on the recognition that the OL is not capable of protecting for the 3+ seconds necessary to throw it deep.

FWIW, the reason Holley went 77 yards was not play design but poor defensive technique and the wrong defense. It was a basic 12 yard pattern that the 49er blew coverage on.

You know as well as I do that a deep route can be called with a 3-step drop. I don't know if they were called or not since we have to see coaches film or something but all I know is that receivers are slow when they are 49ers but all of a sudden get fast when they go somewhere else. They either are not used properly in terms of play call or they are not being thrown to.

I don't believe Lloyd is any faster than Morgan and we all saw Jason Hill's "speed" here but then he gets multiple deep balls immediately after getting on a new team.

I do think QB plays a role in this but then again, we don't know if the play is being called.
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
Better question is, "why don't we throw more slants?"

Saw that one to Josh Morgan and it looked practically indefensible.

There's 2 ways to look at that one. It worked because we don't do enough of those. If we do enough of those, it would be a pick 6 going the other way very quickly.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
Better question is, "why don't we throw more slants?"

Saw that one to Josh Morgan and it looked practically indefensible.

There's 2 ways to look at that one. It worked because we don't do enough of those. If we do enough of those, it would be a pick 6 going the other way very quickly.
I have a 3rd way of looking at it. Everything in moderation.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
Better question is, "why don't we throw more slants?"

Saw that one to Josh Morgan and it looked practically indefensible.

There's 2 ways to look at that one. It worked because we don't do enough of those. If we do enough of those, it would be a pick 6 going the other way very quickly.

I would like to see a quick slant to Vernon or Delanie from the WR spot. They are big and in Delanie's case, strong, enough to shield and catch. Morgan is also strong enough to shield and catch.

Could it be the QB ability or lack of to get the ball out quick or trust a blind throw? So far, in regular season, he has rarely made what are called "blind" throws.
I'm sick and tired of seeing Smith #11 on a 49ers uniform. I swear, he is going to retire a niner and we will still be making excuses for him when he's a 13 year veteran and we will never win more than 8 games in a season.
Originally posted by norcal49er864:
Originally posted by moe8092:
Alex Smith.

You dont need to defend Dallas's defense on this one. Look back to last week; better yey, go back to Alex's history with the team. His game is based on short, high percentage passes regardless of the playbook. Its just defendable this year bc the WCO calls for short, high percentage passes.

The truth is that Alex just doesnt think outside the box. You dont need 7 step drops to go deep. Look at what Dallas did with NY last week. Everytime the Jets blitzed, Romo aired it out for his receivers to go grab it. High risk high reward. We3 played a depleted secondary, and Im shocked that Alex barely attempted to expose a 2nd string secondary playing one on one coverage bc of the blitz. Someone better teach Ale the "it" factor, or else every team we play this year is gonna throw blitzes at us, and you're gonna see a lot of games where we lose with Alex throwing for 15/23 158yds. 1TD. May look good for the stat gurus, but certainly not a winning stat. Romo played horribly today; still put up over 250 yards passing and won his team the game. Thats the difference.

You are wrong. See Alex Smith's 2006 season with Norv turner, and the second half of 2009 when he got inserted for Shaun Hill. The dude can, and has thrown deep. Just another example of blind Smith hatred overruling logic.


You mean the season with Turner where he averaged 180 yards a game passing, with 6.5 yards average on every pass completion (he avg. 6.2 this year), or in 2009 where he abd. 6.3 yards per pass completion ? To put things in perspective, he ranked bottom half in the league in both stats those years.

And this year (up to this point), he ranks 29th in yards per game, and 21st in average. Not much of a change if you ask me.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
Better question is, "why don't we throw more slants?"

Saw that one to Josh Morgan and it looked practically indefensible.

There's 2 ways to look at that one. It worked because we don't do enough of those. If we do enough of those, it would be a pick 6 going the other way very quickly.

I would like to see a quick slant to Vernon or Delanie from the WR spot. They are big and in Delanie's case, strong, enough to shield and catch. Morgan is also strong enough to shield and catch.

Could it be the QB ability or lack of to get the ball out quick or trust a blind throw? So far, in regular season, he has rarely made what are called "blind" throws.

So you are saying since Smith can't hit his receiver accurately, you are willing to let him just throw it to a 'blind' spot hoping a receiver will get there in time to catch it? Amazing how Smith's play have lowered everyone's standard on this forum
Originally posted by 1979NinerFan:
I'm sick and tired of seeing Smith #11 on a 49ers uniform. I swear, he is going to retire a niner and we will still be making excuses for him when he's a 13 year veteran and we will never win more than 8 games in a season.

I agree he should have been gone long time ago! His problem has always been his inability to go through his progressions usually looks one side of the field or stare down the receiver and goes there. Alexis Smith NEEDS TO GO OR HARBAUGH IS DONE AS WELL!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Smith made some nice throws on Sunday, including that long pass to Gore that wasn't completed due to PI. The pass to KW was a beauty too. Harbaugh needs to encourage the long throws.