LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Harbaugh's offense like Jimmy Raye's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Paul
  • Veteran
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I think people have been getting the wrong idea about this offense. Harbaugh has always claimed to be a power running version of the WCO. If you look at Stanford's O from last year you'll see and that's a bit of what we saw. I'm sure the passing game will open up but I do not really expect runs on 3rd and 5 to go away. The only problem right now is they had no fear of us passing in that situation.

The passing game is more than just the QB. If the receivers arent on the same page then we're still screwed. To call harbaugh's offense Raye's after one game is staright up annoying. I know it's the same crap we've all seen for years but I still trust Harbaugh. I know it's hard to be patient after losing for so many years, trust me, but this aint gonna happen overnight. Harbaugh made enough good in game decisions for me to believe he as well as the team will get better.

SN: At his presser, Harbaugh remembered every important detail of the game w/out referring to film. Raygletary would have been asleep through most of it.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by Lifer:
I believe the team will get better and more aggressive as the year goes on. Mr. Kaplan chooses to invoke panic time/b***h mode.

Like the rest of the Webzone that believed that Harbaugh was holding back and playing the plain vanilla playbook in the preseason, and that it would all magically change when the regular season started?

Time of get real...or at least add a dose of reality to things. If Smith was going to hamstring Harbaugh this much, why didn't we trade for a real veteran QB, or try to bring one in through free agency? Instead, Harbaugh has expressed confidence in Smith from Day 1 of his hiring and stuck to it. But when he gets out on the field for real, he suddenly goes all tight sphincter on us?

Something doesn't add up.

I got real a long time ago. Anyone who believed this offense was going to magically turn into the 1994 49ers on opening day was simply deluding themselves. A lot of things are holding Harbaugh back right now: the O-line, the quarterback, and the shortened offseason being chief among them. I think Harbaugh believes that, over the course of the season, he can turn Alex Smith into a winner. Not a pro-bowl QB mind you, but a winner. It's a process. it's going to take time. The long term plan is to develop Colin Kaepernick into the QB of the future. Alex Smith is a placeholder.
Every now and then I see a thread that's so retarded I begin to worry for the safety of humanity, but then I feel good again once I realize that it hasn't advanced past ninertalk.
Originally posted by Joecool:
You know, just how you say we had a 2 point lead and we can't predict what would have happened, then you can't predict that the play calling will change in the future.

Fact is, the play calling was VERY similar to what we have seen in the past 2 years. The play design may be different, but the calls to run the ball were the same.

It may change next week, but we don't know that, right?

You don't know, that's exactly my point. And since no one knows, there's no point in complaining. I know this is an abstract concept around these parts but how about we WAIT and actually see what happens before getting all up in arms about it?
Originally posted by baltien:
You know, just how you say we had a 2 point lead and we can't predict what would have happened, then you can't predict that the play calling will change in the future.

Fact is, the play calling was VERY similar to what we have seen in the past 2 years. The play design may be different, but the calls to run the ball were the same.

It may change next week, but we don't know that, right?

You don't know, that's exactly my point. And since no one knows, there's no point in complaining. I know this is an abstract concept around these parts but how about we WAIT and actually see what happens before getting all up in arms about it?

But that's the beauty of it. One game is in the bag to conversate about and there is something to complain about. The fact that he went Singletary style on that one drive in the second half is bad memories man. It's like a girl who's gotten repeatedly beaten up, dumps the dude and then the next dude just raises both his hands in frustration and the girl flinches remembering nothing but bad memories.

I has a scared when I see Singletary style.
But that's the beauty of it. One game is in the bag to conversate about and there is something to complain about. The fact that he went Singletary style on that one drive in the second half is bad memories man. It's like a girl who's gotten repeatedly beaten up, dumps the dude and then the next dude just raises both his hands in frustration and the girl flinches remembering nothing but bad memories.

I has a scared when I see Singletary style.

I suppose that's fair, but at the same time Harbs and Sing come from two totally different coaching backgrounds. Up to this point, Harbaugh has proved that he knows offense. I'm not saying that makes him somehow beyond criticism, just that he should be given more than one game before everyone passes judgement.
Is this how the season will be this year? We win and people b***h we lose and people b***h
I said it in the begining before roman was quoted, fans expecting a return to Bill Walsh will be disappointed. that they were going to run just as much, but try to create match up and confusion in how the run was going to be executed. They better open up or its going to be a long day against Dallas.
I think we'll have a better understanding of this offense once this team starts trailing in a game and needs to come from behind. Just wait.

I believe the team will get better and more aggressive as the year goes on. Mr. Kaplan chooses to invoke panic time/b***h mode.

Like the rest of the Webzone that believed that Harbaugh was holding back and playing the plain vanilla playbook in the preseason, and that it would all magically change when the regular season started?

Time of get real...or at least add a dose of reality to things. If Smith was going to hamstring Harbaugh this much, why didn't we trade for a real veteran QB, or try to bring one in through free agency? Instead, Harbaugh has expressed confidence in Smith from Day 1 of his hiring and stuck to it. But when he gets out on the field for real, he suddenly goes all tight sphincter on us?

Harbaugh and Baalke tried to get Hassellbeck before trying to keep Smith. Id also like to imagine that if Palmer were availiable early he would be a 49er as well. As as im concerned we are stuck with Smith until a good team breaks him. Then we can see what Kaep can do.
lol@ the jumpin to conclusions after 1 game, the season is gonna be full of twists and turns and ups and downs, i'm gonna watch it all then have a take on it. knee jerk reaction people are hilarious to me.
The only difference from last year on o is wr Edwards & HC , the had short time to put there o in & you have a s**tty QB that can't do s**t I would go conservative plus Gore had rust did not run wild .
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

It is perfectly natural to be skeptical when you (or any of us) do not understand what is going on. It could be anything from simply not being ready to execute the majority of the the playbook to some serious gamesmanship on the part of the head coach. We don't know, so we speculate. I think that he felt that the team wasn't ready to go full bore, so he called it close. Just my opinion though.

I share your opinion and thoughts on the offense and how it will unfold under Harbaugh's guidence of arrow up ....... we will get there. Looking forward to both the process with some realistic expectations in the first half of the season and then comes the more refined second half of this season.

Yeah similar to Rayes plays for the players against Seattle and yet still an improvement. I never saw Ray use Snyder at TE like that to draw the defense or even use Boone in short yardage as in the pre-season either for that matter.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:10 PM ]

Share 49ersWebzone