LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

Harbaugh's offense like Jimmy Raye's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Harbaugh is quickly reminding me of Obama. I don't see much "change to believe in". I see a lot of "more of the same" with a WCO™ brand wrapper around the same stick of crap.

That being said, it is real early, and I want to give Harbaugh plenty of rope before the hanging.

I find his blanket denials of the obvious (claiming that they were not playing it safe) to the press is disconcerting to me. I don't find him particularly trustworthy as a result, and I see a lot of the arrogance and stubbornness which were hallmarks of the Nolan/Singletary regime instead.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
judging by the plays used in the Raider game during the preseason, NO!
Originally posted by kray28:
Harbaugh is quickly reminding me of Obama. I don't see much "change to believe in". I see a lot of "more of the same" with a WCO™ brand wrapper around the same stick of crap.

That being said, it is real early, and I want to give Harbaugh plenty of rope before the hanging.

I find his blanket denials of the obvious (claiming that they were not playing it safe) to the press is disconcerting to me. I don't find him particularly trustworthy as a result, and I see a lot of the arrogance and stubbornness which were hallmarks of the Nolan/Singletary regime instead.

Har-bama?

lol after 1 game? Really? Especially after game the NIners won? Harbaugh is putting Alex into position where he can succeed. He's building up Alex's confidence not throwing him to the wind like the last few HCs.
One thing is for sure. He may not have completely showed it on the NFL Field, but Harbaugh is much more creative than Raye.

1. Slept like a baby
2. The philosophy talk a week ago
3. Let's do it A-Ginn!

This guy thinks outside the box. Let us see if our offensive personnel can keep up.
At first, I was gonna post "LOL, didn't read." But then, I took the time to read it. Among all that whining and BS sarcasm, there's one point that I agree with which asked where's the attacking WCO? At Standford, Harbaugh was aggressive, what the Niners displayed last Sunday seemed conservative...which I agree with.

OTOH, when people complain like this like they "know" better, why don't they become OC or HC of an NFL team. It's easy to criticize afterwards, but given the lockout, few weeks to prepare, a whole new coaching staff, learning a new playbook, etc...you gotta give SF a break and not expect miracles overnight. Niners have a good chance (along with Cardinals) to win the division. 8-8 or 9-7 should do it and is realistic given the talent we have a HC and coaching staff who seems to know what they're doing for a change.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
lol after 1 game? Really? Especially after game the NIners won? Harbaugh is putting Alex into position where he can succeed. He's building up Alex's confidence not throwing him to the wind like the last few HCs.

Smith is not a rookie...and being treated like one isn't going to have a long term benefit, either for him or for the team at large. Sooner or later, we're going to actually have to rely on him to win a game. Sooner or later, we're going to need the defense to play a full solid game where they don't fade down the stretch. Putting this off now is nothing that builds the confidence of these players....because deep down they know they got away with one. Whether or not the first game was a win is largely irrelevant, it's more relevant that the game plan was seriously flawed, and with 4:00 remaining, the Niners were headed down an all too familiar road of fading and losing down the stretch. Ginn's two returns worked to mask that, and while it's great we won, if you look at the big picture, it all works build a false confidence that this team has made any real progress or passed the requisite tests needed for them to be considered legitimate.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Yeah, a lot of belly aching about a win, for sure. But it all boils down to one pretty good line:

"Forget about Harbaugh turning Smith into Joe Montana... Smith has turned Harbaugh into Jimmy Raye. Incredibly, the nightmare goes on."

Gotta give him props for that. Nice one. It's all a matter of how you choose to look at it. I believe the team will get better and more aggressive as the year goes on. Mr. Kaplan chooses to invoke panic time/b***h mode.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Lifer:
I believe the team will get better and more aggressive as the year goes on. Mr. Kaplan chooses to invoke panic time/b***h mode.

Like the rest of the Webzone that believed that Harbaugh was holding back and playing the plain vanilla playbook in the preseason, and that it would all magically change when the regular season started?

Time of get real...or at least add a dose of reality to things. If Smith was going to hamstring Harbaugh this much, why didn't we trade for a real veteran QB, or try to bring one in through free agency? Instead, Harbaugh has expressed confidence in Smith from Day 1 of his hiring and stuck to it. But when he gets out on the field for real, he suddenly goes all tight sphincter on us?

Something doesn't add up.
Mr. Gorbachev....

TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!!

/Fixed

I believe the team will get better and more aggressive as the year goes on. Mr. Kaplan chooses to invoke panic time/b***h mode.

Like the rest of the Webzone that believed that Harbaugh was holding back and playing the plain vanilla playbook in the preseason, and that it would all magically change when the regular season started?

Time of get real...or at least add a dose of reality to things. If Smith was going to hamstring Harbaugh this much, why didn't we trade for a real veteran QB, or try to bring one in through free agency? Instead, Harbaugh has expressed confidence in Smith from Day 1 of his hiring and stuck to it. But when he gets out on the field for real, he suddenly goes all tight sphincter on us?

The plan last year was to try and punch em in the mouth. We all found out what happens when one tries to go for hard punches: mistakes or lose balance.

The plan this year is to be efficient. No matter how basic or complicted it is, just be efficient and force the opponent to keep up the level of efficiency. That is how Walsh started. This is also how the Pats beat teams in the early Brady years. They kept everything efficient and allowed the opponent to make mistakes.

After a couple of days to soak it all in, we only made one actual mistake and one possible mistake: Reggie Smith missed tackle and Harbaugh's decision to run-run-run when we were so close to the end zone in position to seal the game.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM ]
not to mention all the sacks we gave up...the delay of game penalties...wasting time outs because the play calling was taking to long...all those turnovers...a QB rating of 60...yeah...just like Jimmy Raye alright...
Harbaugh has said it all the way, he will be more agressive, yet the offence is nowhere near ready as it should be. I have absolutley no problem if weßre running the ball and going for FGs if we win the game!

At Standorf he redshirted Luck so that he can work with him on his reads, drops footwork etc.

To install a WCO it takes time, and I find it intrigueging how every post turns out into a "Blame Alex Smith".

I´m not worried, I would have been worried if we opened the playbook, and lost the game due to stupid turnovers which could have been prevented by beeing more conservative.

The offence will open up it just takes time.

BTW, would you rather had the reuslt that Alex threw for 400 yards and we lost the game? It´s nowhere clear that cam will repeat such a perform,ance or will win a game.

Numbers mean nothing unsless you win.
beck had 400 yards and has lost, Romo had two stupid turnovers despite a ton of yards. We had none! And if you recall correctly, under Singletary we allways had that one back breaking WTF turnover.

Let´s see what happens with Dallas, and if we again run the bal and make FGs but win the game I´ll have no problem.

Smith is not a rookie...and being treated like one isn't going to have a long term benefit, either for him or for the team at large. Sooner or later, we're going to actually have to rely on him to win a game. Sooner or later, we're going to need the defense to play a full solid game where they don't fade down the stretch. Putting this off now is nothing that builds the confidence of these players....because deep down they know they got away with one. Whether or not the first game was a win is largely irrelevant, it's more relevant that the game plan was seriously flawed, and with 4:00 remaining, the Niners were headed down an all too familiar road of fading and losing down the stretch. Ginn's two returns worked to mask that, and while it's great we won, if you look at the big picture, it all works build a false confidence that this team has made any real progress or passed the requisite tests needed for them to be considered legitimate.
And thats what Harbaugh is doing, he even said after the game that before the game he still didn't have a strong grasp on the makeup of this team in a real game scenario. He's not gonna put the game on Alex's shoulders, yet. Especially when he doesn't have to. The D played 1 bad quarter. Ginns returns didn't mask anything, the Niners had the lead the whole game.

It is perfectly natural to be skeptical when you (or any of us) do not understand what is going on. It could be anything from simply not being ready to execute the majority of the the playbook to some serious gamesmanship on the part of the head coach. We don't know, so we speculate. I think that he felt that the team wasn't ready to go full bore, so he called it close. Just my opinion though.
Share 49ersWebzone