LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 336 users in the forums

Vernon "Aligator Arms" Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by krizay:
I can't believe you are still pushing this thing.... 20 TD's in 2 years, nearly 1,000 yards in each of the last 2 seasons with sub par QB's, horrendous offensive coaching and among the worst offensive lines in the leage. Made the Pro Bowl already in his career. Should have made it last year. His #'s were far better than Gonzalez. Gonzalez got in on name regognition alone. The fans are stupid and don't know what is going on. And losing teams players always bear the brunt of unfairness on Pro Bowl voting. He's better than any TE in the league right now. I'd take him above anybody right now. Bar none.

I can't believe you are still pushing this thing.... made the pro bowl as an alternate

You could argue he was the best TE in the league the last 2 years with a sub par QB, horrible O Line and worst OC / HC in the league.

lol best TE in the NFL right now? he leads the NFL in non OL penalties AND drops every year. his blocking skills are solid, but WAY overblown. he really isnt the blocking whiz everyone claims him to be. before his breakout season and infamous Singletary punishment game, he was a good blocker. it was his role on the team while the OL was the worst in the NFL, and his pass catching hadnt really caught on, so he did that job well. As soon as he broke out as an offensive playmaker, he let his blocking performance get really lazy. you could just see his mindset became "im an offensive force, i shouldnt be blocking". he was never horrible, but his effort declined for sure.

between the drop in blocking quality, which is a big part of a TE's job, his penalties from not having his head in the game, and all the drops he makes because he doesnt want to take a hit, hes hardly the NFL's best TE. I hate knocking Niners down a peg, but sometimes the love (and hate) for some of our players goes way too far. VD is still a top 5 TE because of his raw playmaking ability, but he isnt the best.
Originally posted by Niners99:
I can't believe you are still pushing this thing.... 20 TD's in 2 years, nearly 1,000 yards in each of the last 2 seasons with sub par QB's, horrendous offensive coaching and among the worst offensive lines in the leage. Made the Pro Bowl already in his career. Should have made it last year. His #'s were far better than Gonzalez. Gonzalez got in on name regognition alone. The fans are stupid and don't know what is going on. And losing teams players always bear the brunt of unfairness on Pro Bowl voting. He's better than any TE in the league right now. I'd take him above anybody right now. Bar none.

I can't believe you are still pushing this thing.... made the pro bowl as an alternate

You could argue he was the best TE in the league the last 2 years with a sub par QB, horrible O Line and worst OC / HC in the league.

lol best TE in the NFL right now? he leads the NFL in non OL penalties AND drops every year. his blocking skills are solid, but WAY overblown. he really isnt the blocking whiz everyone claims him to be. before his breakout season and infamous Singletary punishment game, he was a good blocker. it was his role on the team while the OL was the worst in the NFL, and his pass catching hadnt really caught on, so he did that job well. As soon as he broke out as an offensive playmaker, he let his blocking performance get really lazy. you could just see his mindset became "im an offensive force, i shouldnt be blocking". he was never horrible, but his effort declined for sure.

between the drop in blocking quality, which is a big part of a TE's job, his penalties from not having his head in the game, and all the drops he makes because he doesnt want to take a hit, hes hardly the NFL's best TE. I hate knocking Niners down a peg, but sometimes the love (and hate) for some of our players goes way too far. VD is still a top 5 TE because of his raw playmaking ability, but he isnt the best.

20 TD's in 2 years. Nearly 1,000 yards in each year. Alex Smith at QB and one of the worst pass blocking O lines. Imagine if he had Rogers or Rivers and the GB or SD line. He's incredible.
yay lets turn this into an Alex Smith thread too!!!!
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for BayAreaNinersFan.
f**k this thread Vernon Davis is sick, that much talent & hard work is rarely seen
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
f**k this thread Vernon Davis is sick, that much talent & hard work is rarely seen

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
smh. I can't believe there's a thread about this. VD is a BALLER, plain and simple and on that play, the CB was raping him.
I would call him a Puss, but from very far away perhaps from another state or continent! He short armed it, but worse he appeared to slow down on the play while the ball was in the air, almost like he did not expect the pass. He wasn't jogging, but that was not full speed those last few steps, when he realized the ball was coming he did not try to accelerate and close on the ball, he just kinda quit on the play, lucky it wasn't picked.
Originally posted by Amir:
smh. I can't believe there's a thread about this. VD is a BALLER, plain and simple and on that play, the CB was raping him.

Yes, only thing I would like VD to take form that is don't assume you got the penalty. Sell it by trying for the ball, then it is much more likely that yellow flag will be thrown.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Yes, only thing I would like VD to take form that is don't assume you got the penalty. Sell it by trying for the ball, then it is much more likely that yellow flag will be thrown.

This! If he would have kept going and reached for it, with his arm being held, we would have likely gotten the PI!
Never really considered that he held up because he assumed a penalty... I'd LIKE to think that now... but I don't. I see him look at the closing safety and just decide not to take the risk. Hate seeing that, but it's behind us now. Just got to expect better from him if such a situation arises again.

• krizay
  • Veteran

• Wodwo
  • Veteran

Thank you for admitting he is a top 5 TE.

Baby steps.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Thank you for admitting he is a top 5 TE.

Baby steps.

I've said he was decent. He can be ARGUED as a top 5 TE. Same with 5-8 other guys. Gates/Gonzo/Witten/Finley/Davis/Dallas Clark/Winslow/Shockey

Depending on what YOU are looking for and how YOU value who's what? Just like some argue if Davis "had an Oline" or "played for ___________" or "if __________ was his QB" ,

some COULD ARGUE, If _______ was his QB, then he wouldn't be force fed in order to get his numbers just like ____________ isn't force fed on their team. If he played for _________ then he'd have other weapons around him which means less chances for him.

My argument is how would other TE's do in the same exact situation as Davis? My OPINION, relatively the same. Why? His speed isn't a factor in what he does. His strength damn sure isn't a factor in what he does. Route running? no! Hands? no! What seperate him from the "decent" TE's is opportunities. What would their numbers look like if they were thrown to 7+ times a game? I'm guessing they too would "almost get 1,000 yards" Only other difference is his physical skills he displayed in Indianapolis that hasn't really shown on the field.
[ Edited by krizay on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM ]

20 TD's in 2 years. Nearly 1,000 yards in each year. Alex Smith at QB and one of the worst pass blocking O lines. Imagine if he had Rogers or Rivers and the GB or SD line. He's incredible.

nobody is arguing that hes very good. hes just not the best. you can repeat his TD's and yardage all you want, but the fact that he consistently leads the NFL in drops and penalties is HUGE. hes afraid to get hit despite being the size of a mack truck, and hes always jumping offsides despite only having to look at the ball and wait until it moves.

his massive amounts of TD's and high yardage totals can be explained by the fact that hes the ONLY option weve had to throw to. nobody else is there to take away his targets. Witten matches VD in production on a team where theres plenty of other options to throw to, AND hes an elite blocker, he doesnt cost the team penalties, and doesnt drop passes.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
nobody is arguing that hes very good. hes just not the best. you can repeat his TD's and yardage all you want, but the fact that he consistently leads the NFL in drops and penalties is HUGE. hes afraid to get hit despite being the size of a mack truck, and hes always jumping offsides despite only having to look at the ball and wait until it moves.

his massive amounts of TD's and high yardage totals can be explained by the fact that hes the ONLY option weve had to throw to. nobody else is there to take away his targets. Witten matches VD in production on a team where theres plenty of other options to throw to, AND hes an elite blocker, he doesnt cost the team penalties, and doesnt drop passes.

But Witten isn't faster or stronger
Share 49ersWebzone