LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
In two games, ROOKIE Andy Dalton, who went to one of the most dysfunctional teams in the league, ranks No. 8 in the NFL in passer rating (105.7)

What's his excuse, and why is he better than Alex Smith in year 7? We'll find out this Sunday. If Andy was our QB and stunk it up, we'd have every excuse in the book ready for him, but he went to a worse team and is lighting it up so far.

Watching all these QBs come out of college to the worst teams in the league (like Smith did) and just flat out play is getting irritating. No wonder I'm so pissed about this slow learning, inaccurate, hesitant, and non-instinctual player we have at QB for the last 7 years and counting.

He has face two of the worst pass defending teams in the NFL, just give it a rest man, everybody knows what you think and that you are not going to change your mind or anyone else's.
it's double standards is all it is. When other QBs do well, it's because their teammates are HOF bound, or their defense is devestating, or they played inept teams. When Smith plays well, it's because he is finally in a situation where he personally can strut his stuff. However, if he plays bad, then it's back on coaching and his teammates. Smith is the teflon kid! Nothing sticks to him...

Name one WR who has been on team for more than 2 years while Alex was playing who has had significant success elsewhere. Just one.
Brandon Llyod, Antonio Bryant

Antonio was only here one season. Brandon Llyod? Significant success? He's had one good season in his career. And just recently. He might do it again. For him it wasn't talent..it was attitude..and he didn't have the right attitude for 8 years. His career yardage in those 8 years is less than 4,000 yards. That's not my idea of significant success.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Lloyd and Smith played like 9 games together and LLoyd finalyl had success like 5 years after leaving the niners . ill give you Antonio Bryant

Besides the fact that Antonio was here one season and I asked for 2...Antonio has had 2 1,000 yard seasons...one before the 9ers and one after. Other than that in 8 years he's racked up about 5,500 yards...a little better than Alligator arms.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Lloyd and Smith played like 9 games together and LLoyd finalyl had success like 5 years after leaving the niners . ill give you Antonio Bryant

Yes but other teams are passing well with just as much talent at WR as these two guys have. It's either our playcalling or our QB. We should finally have an answer as this season progresses.

Ted Ginn isn't a slouch either. He's had respectable stats in MIA, a team that has had multiple QB issues and very conservative offense.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Yes but other teams are passing well with just as much talent at WR as these two guys have. It's either our playcalling or our QB. We should finally have an answer as this season progresses.

Ted Ginn isn't a slouch either. He's had respectable stats in MIA, a team that has had multiple QB issues and very conservative offense.

The fact that they traded him away for a fifth doesn't speak too highly of Miami's opinion of him though.

The fact that they traded him away for a fifth doesn't speak too highly of Miami's opinion of him though.

The knock was he wasn't holding on to the ball in Miami. THey were not happy ith someone who could run fast but never caught the ball.
double double
[ Edited by Jakemall on Sep 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM ]
it's double standards is all it is. When other QBs do well, it's because their teammates are HOF bound, or their defense is devestating, or they played inept teams. When Smith plays well, it's because he is finally in a situation where he personally can strut his stuff. However, if he plays bad, then it's back on coaching and his teammates. Smith is the teflon kid! Nothing sticks to him...

See my last post, it really isn't worth arguing about anymore,Smith is the qb, he is the only one we hapve that gives us any chance to win. You have already admitted that he is playing better, why start with this again? I have heard you are a good guy from people I trust on here that know you and have no interest in getting into a heated argument over something that is been discussed and debated until there is nothing left to say on the subject. Let's just root for the guy until he's not in a niner uniform anymore, that won't hurt anyone, and it will keep the drama to a minimum. It is quite obvious to any reasonable person that Smith is not a problem this year.

I'm frustrated that other QBs can land in the NFL in bad situations and play well and we haven't had that here since Jeff Garcia left. I'm further frustrated that fans tolerate this and make excuses to somehow justify this situation.

That's more of an internal issue with you not being able to accept that there are more factors in the equation than just Smith. He has not been the sole, of even main reason this team has struggled. We have had owners with no clue hiring coaches with no clue trying to teach a qb with skill but no clue. Now we have owners that are starting to figure it out that have hired a coach that is known for grooming qb talent and it is showing results. I know it is a lot to ask, but if Joe Montana says have some motherf**kin patience, you gotta have some motherf**kin patience.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

The knock was he wasn't holding on to the ball in Miami. THey were not happy ith someone who could run fast but never caught the ball.

That has nothing to do with what he can do. MIA's philosphy wasn't fitting with Ginn and they weren't using him. Look at Brandon Marshal. He had 3 straight 100 catch seasons on a Broncos team with different QB's. He goes to MIA and it drops to 86 catches.

The WR position and results rely heavy on the play call and the QB more than a QB relies on the WR. MIA isn't a WR friendly system or doesn't have the QB's who can light it up. We weren't much different.
That has nothing to do with what he can do. MIA's philosphy wasn't fitting with Ginn and they weren't using him. Look at Brandon Marshal. He had 3 straight 100 catch seasons on a Broncos team with different QB's. He goes to MIA and it drops to 86 catches.

The WR position and results rely heavy on the play call and the QB more than a QB relies on the WR. MIA isn't a WR friendly system or doesn't have the QB's who can light it up. We weren't much different.

That and he couldn't catch the ball, he still has poor hands, but I love him as a return man.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

See my last post, it really isn't worth arguing about anymore,Smith is the qb, he is the only one we hapve that gives us any chance to win. You have already admitted that he is playing better, why start with this again? I have heard you are a good guy from people I trust on here that know you and have no interest in getting into a heated argument over something that is been discussed and debated until there is nothing left to say on the subject. Let's just root for the guy until he's not in a niner uniform anymore, that won't hurt anyone, and it will keep the drama to a minimum. It is quite obvious to any reasonable person that Smith is not a problem this year.

I'm frustrated that other QBs can land in the NFL in bad situations and play well and we haven't had that here since Jeff Garcia left. I'm further frustrated that fans tolerate this and make excuses to somehow justify this situation.

That's more of an internal issue with you not being able to accept that there are more factors in the equation than just Smith. He has not been the sole, of even main reason this team has struggled. We have had owners with no clue hiring coaches with no clue trying to teach a qb with skill but no clue. Now we have owners that are starting to figure it out that have hired a coach that is known for grooming qb talent and it is showing results. I know it is a lot to ask, but if Joe Montana says have some motherf**kin patience, you gotta have some motherf**kin patience.

Patience is for complacent federal govt employees, not the NFL. The Panthers didn't need to be patient with Cam, the Rams didn't need to be patient with Bradford, the Bengals didn't need to be patient with Andy Dalton, the Steelers didn't need to be patient with Big Ben, the Ravens didn't need to be patient with Flacco... should I keep going? Bottom line is, good QBs can play well with mediocre environments and bad QBs need EVERYTHING to be right just to be mediocre or at best slightly above average. Wake up and raise your expectations to what is happening in the rest of the NFL. We are in year SEVEN of a failed experiment, people.

why wont this thred f**king die

That and he couldn't catch the ball, he still has poor hands, but I love him as a return man.

A lot of teams must deal with this issue with certain receivers. You don't let that stop the game plan. DHB had the dropsies but he was still thrown to deep and teams still needed to account for that defensively. We do not force a team to account for this.

Said it perfectly Memphis. Now lets not get crazy. Since he's been here, he hasnt been the sole reason we havent worked out. At times a part of the problem, so not gonna sugarcoat. Since he's been here, i can give you at least 3 to 5 games every season that we fell apart in the end. The issue that I like with other teams, is that they all seemed to maximize their players potential right away. Best example i like is, S. Bradford. Last year with the Rams everyone was like how good he was, but failed to see that most his yards game on the quick short throws, not deep balls. Just pretty good YAC. Which regardless of who was our QB was since T.O was here, our WR's never seem to have any. And we've had a ton of QB's since then.

I havent seen too many teams that have a lead on a SB winning team, and just crumble in the few minutes left. I've seen most of a fair balance, just like the Jets with Sanchez. His first year, the Jets were no 1 on running and in defense. So imagine if he came here, and he didnt have either. Might not see the same Sanchez. As I said, I'm not making any excuses as to the overthrows, underthrows, bonhead INT's etc. But at the same time, every Qb makes some of the same mistakes that he does, but with him a lot of the time, most feel the throws should be perfect. I think the WR helps the QB look good, and vice versa.

Overall, as a team, the difference is regardless of who our QB is, the SF 49ers always manage to shoot themselves in the foot, and if not on offense, then defense, if not either than special teams. Give me one game, where they are all clicking on all cylinders, and i bet we'd be a force to be reckoned with.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Said it perfectly Memphis. Now lets not get crazy. Since he's been here, he hasnt been the sole reason we havent worked out. At times a part of the problem, so not gonna sugarcoat. Since he's been here, i can give you at least 3 to 5 games every season that we fell apart in the end. The issue that I like with other teams, is that they all seemed to maximize their players potential right away. Best example i like is, S. Bradford. Last year with the Rams everyone was like how good he was, but failed to see that most his yards game on the quick short throws, not deep balls. Just pretty good YAC. Which regardless of who was our QB was since T.O was here, our WR's never seem to have any. And we've had a ton of QB's since then.

I havent seen too many teams that have a lead on a SB winning team, and just crumble in the few minutes left. I've seen most of a fair balance, just like the Jets with Sanchez. His first year, the Jets were no 1 on running and in defense. So imagine if he came here, and he didnt have either. Might not see the same Sanchez. As I said, I'm not making any excuses as to the overthrows, underthrows, bonhead INT's etc. But at the same time, every Qb makes some of the same mistakes that he does, but with him a lot of the time, most feel the throws should be perfect. I think the WR helps the QB look good, and vice versa.

Overall, as a team, the difference is regardless of who our QB is, the SF 49ers always manage to shoot themselves in the foot, and if not on offense, then defense, if not either than special teams. Give me one game, where they are all clicking on all cylinders, and i bet we'd be a force to be reckoned with.

can any of you guys please be my manager at work? pretty please? I would love to lay eggs for 7 years and have you make excuses for me.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
why wont this thred f**king die

I'll handle it.

Share 49ersWebzone