LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 411 users in the forums

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by aman49:
I always dreamed of having a thread that went over 1,000 replies....

...but not way

Just stop it you knew what you were doing.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
"Smith played pretty well. The playcalling was conservative. We have no idea why it was conservative, and can only guess as to the motivations behind the playcalling (if we aren't taking the player's and coach quotes as being legitimate). Smith made enough plays that they won the game. He made some nice throws, and missed a few as well. One game doesn't change the overall view of Smith, but if he can string a number of games like the last one (with perhaps more production as the offense opens up) then my mind coiuld begin to slowly change. I doubt that will happen because of past performance, but I can see why it would make sense for some to think things could change with a new coach and system."

I can only DREAM of such a logical, reasonable response in Niner Talk.
I always dreamed of having a thread that went over 1,000 replies....

...but not this way

You love this. Don't lie.
PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD ABOUT THE TOPIC AND REFRAIN FROM PERSONAL ATTACKS AND NAME CALLING. THANK YOU.
ANYWAY...

How bout them Cowboys...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
ANYWAY...

How bout them Cowboys...

Thank you Jimmy

dt: There is no need to make this personal. If you cannot focus on the posts and not the poster, you will be warned.

Sorry. I probably deserve to be warned for that.
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by Shaj:
that assessment says NOTHING about fantasy points or rankings. This is a red herring argument on your parts. All it says is a prognostication of his future performance, based on his past performance. There is nothing fantasy about the statements posted. They are an ESPN NFL analysts opinon of Alex Smith. Nothing more, nothing less.

"ESPN Fantasy Projection: Smith, a former No. 1 overall pick, has lost heat off his fastball because of shoulder surgery, is jittery in the pocket and has never conquered the accuracy problems that have plagued him since day one. But Jim Harbaugh has decided to use Smith as a bridge to rookie QB Colin Kaepernick, for better or worse. This might be fine news for Vernon Davis, a favored Smith target, but we're guessing it's not great news for the 49ers as a whole."
ESPN Fantasy Projection: Smith, a former No. 1 overall pick, has lost heat off his fastball because of shoulder surgery, is jittery in the pocket and has never conquered the accuracy problems that have plagued him since day one. But Jim Harbaugh has decided to use Smith as a bridge to rookie QB Colin Kaepernick, for better or worse. This might be fine news for Vernon Davis, a favored Smith target, but we're guessing it's not great news for the 49ers as a whole.

yeah, clearly those attributes only affect fantasy football matchups and won't factor in at all in the NFL game
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
"Smith played pretty well. The playcalling was conservative. We have no idea why it was conservative, and can only guess as to the motivations behind the playcalling (if we aren't taking the player's and coach quotes as being legitimate). Smith made enough plays that they won the game. He made some nice throws, and missed a few as well. One game doesn't change the overall view of Smith, but if he can string a number of games like the last one (with perhaps more production as the offense opens up) then my mind coiuld begin to slowly change. I doubt that will happen because of past performance, but I can see why it would make sense for some to think things could change with a new coach and system."

I can only DREAM of such a logical, reasonable response in Niner Talk.

You don't have to dream, it really happened. However, I might suggest that we erect a monument in honor of this occassion to serve as a reminder, through the ages, when such logic shall surely again be forgotten.
That was Alex's passer rating today.

I'd love to hear what people have to say about that.

That's what we need to do with him. No mistakes. Build Confidence.

I predict that Harbaugh keeps it very close to the vest and conservative through the Bye Week. The only team that can light us up is Philly (maybe Dallas), so no need to open it up.

During the Bye, Alex gets two weeks to go over tape, make corrections, and come out firing against cleveland and the rough patch we have in the schedule after that (@Was, NYG, @BAL)

i cant believe there are 70 pages on this

let this thread die please

Originally posted by Whomeam:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
The only reason he wouldnt be throwing the football at the time the picture is taken is because Alex is often too quick to dump the ball off. Like I have been saying, Alex needs to learn to throw receivers open. If he floats the ball to the back of the endzone, either Crabtree catches it, or its overthrown incomplete. Instead of doing this, he dumps the ball off too early. An article I read earlier says Alex often "sees ghosts" (as in sees pressure that isnt really there). Since we agree that Alex probably didnt see the pressure from behind, his decision to dump the ball to Gore was most likely based on the pass rushers in front of him that werent really all that close. No other reason to not let the play develop longer. Crabtree catches a touchdown pass on this play with a large percentage of NFL starting QBs.

Your the last one to be telling Alex where to throw the ball after that Vernon had a few steps and Alex threw an accidental back shoulder throw debacle.
Hahahaha what? Where was I for this argument? Vernon was draped on that play.

Ya it was absolutely ridicules, especially when he insisted it was an accidental back shoulder throw.

I have mentioned on multiple occasions that I withdrew the word "accidental." That was a poor choice of words, but whatever keep dwelling on it.

Once again, I still maintain the position that the throw was late and thrown to a place that, although worked, was not the best place it could have been. When Alex first started to scramble, Vernon had a step and a half on the defender, and if the ball was delivered on time and in front of him, it would have resulted in a touchdown.

Yes, the play worked. Yes we gained positive yardage. But the play could have been a touchdown.

Your mind is made up though. In spite of the fact that a better pass could have resulted in a touchdown, it was still a good play.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I have mentioned on multiple occasions that I withdrew the word "accidental." That was a poor choice of words, but whatever keep dwelling on it.

Once again, I still maintain the position that the throw was late and thrown to a place that, although worked, was not the best place it could have been. When Alex first started to scramble, Vernon had a step and a half on the defender, and if the ball was delivered on time and in front of him, it would have resulted in a touchdown.

Yes, the play worked. Yes we gained positive yardage. But the play could have been a touchdown.

Your mind is made up though. In spite of the fact that a better pass could have resulted in a touchdown, it was still a good play.

Oh man, Curry had him cut off, there was no way that was a touchdown, there was a safety closing on him too. That was a back shoulder throw that good QB's make all the time. Smith can make the good throws just like any other QB, his problems are mental, inconsistency and overly cautious. It is not like the guy cannot make very good throws from time to time, he has done it before throughout his career, just not consistently. He already looks more confident this year and had all around better mechanics, Harbaugh is coaching him up. We will see once and for all if Smith can be anything more than a mediocre gimmick QB.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Oh man, Curry had him cut off, there was no way that was a touchdown, there was a safety closing on him too. That was a back shoulder throw that good QB's make all the time. Smith can make the good throws just like any other QB, his problems are mental, inconsistency and overly cautious. It is not like the guy cannot make very good throws from time to time, he has done it before throughout his career, just not consistently. He already looks more confident this year and had all around better mechanics, Harbaugh is coaching him up. We will see once and for all if Smith can be anything more than a mediocre gimmick QB.

Good post! His problems may be more developmental than mental, as the schemes and coaching over the past four or five years has been bad. His first two years he had decent OCs who helped him, but after that is a mess. Someone in another thread mentioned how little effort went into developing a 40 million dollar asset. Not good business strategy.

I agree completely that this is his best chance ever to maximize his ability. If he doesn't then I will be disappointed, but it my belief that he will be a very good QB working with Harbaugh...just don't know about a championship calibre QB.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 16, 2011 at 6:43 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Good post! His problems may be more developmental than mental, as the schemes and coaching over the past four or five years has been bad. Hi first two years he had decent OCs who helped him, but after that is a mess. Someone in another thread mentioned how little effort went into developing a 40 million dollar asset. Not good business strategy.

I agree completely that this is his best chance ever to maximize his ability. If he doesn't then I will be disappointed, but it my belief that he will be a very good QB working with Harbaugh...just don't know about a championship calibre QB.
Our team isn't championship caliber till we can continue to upgrade our secondary.
Share 49ersWebzone