There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

• Amir
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by Shaj:
that assessment says NOTHING about fantasy points or rankings. This is a red herring argument on your parts. All it says is a prognostication of his future performance, based on his past performance. There is nothing fantasy about the statements posted. They are an ESPN NFL analysts opinon of Alex Smith. Nothing more, nothing less.

"ESPN Fantasy Projection: Smith, a former No. 1 overall pick, has lost heat off his fastball because of shoulder surgery, is jittery in the pocket and has never conquered the accuracy problems that have plagued him since day one. But Jim Harbaugh has decided to use Smith as a bridge to rookie QB Colin Kaepernick, for better or worse. This might be fine news for Vernon Davis, a favored Smith target, but we're guessing it's not great news for the 49ers as a whole."

Ahem
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Honestly...Gore was the safer decision. COULD HE have thrown it in that "spot?" Yeah maybe. But if he gets picked off then we're all having a different discussion so what's the point. The 3rd picture pretty much shows Alex already made up his mind (he's winding up). The 2nd picture shows he LOOKED over there and saw something he didn't like.

So could have taken the chance? Yes. But really..who cares, we won.

Alex: "Didn't risk, lol."

It was too safe of a decision. The blocking was good AND he had room to step up to allow Gore to be the 3rd read.

Fair enough. I just think its pointless to debate. It's to be expected from a guy who's had his shoulder blown up twice, boo'd, b***hed out for making mistakes, etc.

And frankly, I just don't really trust Alex to make risky throws. He tried it a little in 2009 and 2010 and sometimes it works...but when it doesnt...holy dog s**t....the offense completely implodes. (See: SF vs Eagles 2009, SF vs Titans 2009, SF vs Eagles 2010, SF vs Seahawks game 1 2010).

The other part of this is that it was Crabtree, someone with whom Smith has had less time than any other wideout on the team this year. I will suggest that had it been Morgan or even Edwards instead of Crabtree, Smith would have taken that shot.

This gets back to a point I made in another thread about playing quarterback; in order to play that position confidently and well, you MUST KNOW what your receivers are going to do and when. You cannot sit back and guess or you will lose. You cannot say that because #X would run it "this" way, therefore #Y will do the same thing. That may work by week 6 but if will not work after only two full speed practices together.

I think this had more to do with it combined with Alex not wanted to f**k up and take a sack in the red zone which is something they tell you NOT to do. I'm perfectly fine with Smith not making this throw this early in the JH project. If it were week 8 and he's still playing sphincter, then he will get flamed.

However, it still doesn't falsify the fact that he had time and he rushed it. I don't really care but I read the comment that he didn't have time and there was no window and had to refute it.
the waiting never stops. When he sucks, it's not his fault. when we lose, it's not his fault. When we win, it's because of his play. when he throws only 124 yards and no TDs, he's the reason we won, and his missed opportunities in said game were actually the fault of other players and the coaches.

Just ignore what I said and keep on going man. We understand you and your complaints and I for one agree if Alex screws up be he didn' in the last game. We won and he was a very big reason that we did but no matter on we go with or without you.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
Page 69
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by susweel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W30acTyVsvo&feature=player_embedded#!

Highlights for the game... Watch Smith and some of his throws and decisions he makes. Even the announcers give him props.

Maybe instead of judging one throw we as a fan base can look at the whole picture.

Great idea!!!

Here's the big picture for Alex Smith:

22 - 36 career win/loss record
72.4 career passer rating

any questions?

124 yards passing 0 TDs and missing wide open players in the endzone.

Could you guys at least say those were good throws? Listen to the announcer at 3:57 "That was a great job extending the play, it was a beautiful throw" Also look at the 9 minute mark "Alex Smith throws an absolute dart. Threads the needle now that is a big time throw"

Troy Smith had some incredible throws as well, much more incredible than Smith has thrown in his wet dreams, in fact. Do you wish for me to extoll the virtues of those throws, at the expense of characterizing his overall career potential - which tells a completely different story, just to make Troy Smith fans feeeeel gooooood?

Shaj. Your ability to have an intellectual discussion is negligible at best. It is pretty funny to me that you think so highly of your deductive reasoning skills. Your football knowledge is clearly lacking,but you tend to fall back on some strange megalomaniacal, business-oriented analysis paradigm. I have a new exercise for you to try. Read the posts to which you wish to respond two or three times before responding. It is obvious that you lack the innate reading comprehension abilities necessary to quickly digest and diagnose the meaning of said posts. I think taking it a bit slower might help you to focus in on preparing salient arguments instead of falling back on your talking points, or using rhetorical techniques that you have been previously calling out in others.

Either you purposely ignored the point of the post- Just call the game what it was, and be fair about your (understandably limited) analysis of the current game- or you didn't understand that his plea was not a challenge of your view about Smith's career, but rather your lack of intellectual honesty.You lose a ton of credibility when you can't admit obvious facts, or you have to deflect the facts and bring up some straw-man argument in response.

I understand a Smith "haters"point of view. The responsible reaction from someone with that viewpoint for the previous game would have been that "Smith played pretty well. The playcalling was conservative. We have no idea why it was conservative, and can only guess as to the motivations behind the playcalling (if we aren't taking the player's and coach quotes as being legitimate. Smith made enough plays that they won the game. He made some nice throws, and missed a few as well. One game doesn't change the overall view of Smith, but if he can string a number of games like the last one (with perhaps more production as the offense opens up) then my mind coiuld begin to slowly change. I doubt that will happen because of past performance, but I can see why it would make sense for some to think things could change with a new coach and system."

In another thread you started going off about how great Kolb was last week. His QBR (another stat that you have used very selectively to bash Smith last year) was much worse than Smith's yet that didn't fit your agenda. I have a suspicion that if the games had been reversed you would have been using the QBR to bury Smith. We can look at your past performances in this regard for verification that you would most likely use this tact. Intellectual dishonesty, Shaj. It is your legacy on this board. Step it up a little bit in the future.
Originally posted by Amir:
Page 69

its gonna hit 100 pages
Originally posted by rk1642:
Why can't we wait to bash Alex? At least let him lose a game for us before you throw him under the bus! So asinine to have this discussion now after a win where Alex did everything Jim asked of him. Alex is not trying to live up to your expectations, he's trying to live up to Jim's.

the waiting never stops. When he sucks, it's not his fault. when we lose, it's not his fault. When we win, it's because of his play. when he throws only 124 yards and no TDs, he's the reason we won, and his missed opportunities in said game were actually the fault of other players and the coaches.

Straw man argument yet again. 2 or 3 times before responding Shaj... trust me it will make everything clearer.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:

Highlights for the game... Watch Smith and some of his throws and decisions he makes. Even the announcers give him props.

Maybe instead of judging one throw we as a fan base can look at the whole picture.

Great idea!!!

any questions?

Could you guys at least say those were good throws? Listen to the announcer at 3:57 "That was a great job extending the play, it was a beautiful throw" Also look at the 9 minute mark "Alex Smith throws an absolute dart. Threads the needle now that is a big time throw"

Troy Smith had some incredible throws as well, much more incredible than Smith has thrown in his wet dreams, in fact. Do you wish for me to extoll the virtues of those throws, at the expense of characterizing his overall career potential - which tells a completely different story, just to make Troy Smith fans feeeeel gooooood?

Shaj. Your ability to have an intellectual discussion is negligible at best. It is pretty funny to me that you think so highly of your deductive reasoning skills. Your football knowledge is clearly lacking,but you tend to fall back on some strange megalomaniacal, business-oriented analysis paradigm. I have a new exercise for you to try. Read the posts to which you wish to respond two or three times before responding. It is obvious that you lack the innate reading comprehension abilities necessary to quickly digest and diagnose the meaning of said posts. I think taking it a bit slower might help you to focus in on preparing salient arguments instead of falling back on your talking points, or using rhetorical techniques that you have been previously calling out in others.

Either you purposely ignored the point of the post- Just call the game what it was, and be fair about your (understandably limited) analysis of the current game- or you didn't understand that his plea was not a challenge of your view about Smith's career, but rather your lack of intellectual honesty.You lose a ton of credibility when you can't admit obvious facts, or you have to deflect the facts and bring up some straw-man argument in response.

I understand a Smith "haters"point of view. The responsible reaction from someone with that viewpoint for the previous game would have been that "Smith played pretty well. The playcalling was conservative. We have no idea why it was conservative, and can only guess as to the motivations behind the playcalling (if we aren't taking the player's and coach quotes as being legitimate. Smith made enough plays that they won the game. He made some nice throws, and missed a few as well. One game doesn't change the overall view of Smith, but if he can string a number of games like the last one (with perhaps more production as the offense opens up) then my mind coiuld begin to slowly change. I doubt that will happen because of past performance, but I can see why it would make sense for some to think things could change with a new coach and system."

In another thread you started going off about how great Kolb was last week. His QBR (another stat that you have used very selectively to bash Smith last year) was much worse than Smith's yet that didn't fit your agenda. I have a suspicion that if the games had been reversed you would have been using the QBR to bury Smith. We can look at your past performances in this regard for verification that you would most likely use this tact. Intellectual dishonesty, Shaj. It is your legacy on this board. Step it up a little bit in the future.

s**t just got real
Originally posted by valrod33:
s**t just got real

sure did, dude just called out Shaj's manhood.

Im waiting for Shaj's rebuttal
Aaron Rodgers completes that throw with his hand tied behind his back.

Impossible, he was thousands of miles away.
s**t just got real

Shaj, the excellence lover, is coming up with a most excellent rebuttal.

Pass the popcorn.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

He's gotta rocket though I still thinks he completes it.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

He's gotta rocket though I still thinks he completes it.

Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
s**t just got real

Shaj, the excellence lover, is coming up with a most excellent rebuttal.

Pass the popcorn.
We may have to wait a few minutes because I think the lasagna noodles were boiling over.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:

Great idea!!!

any questions?

Shaj, you're a good guy and more important, a great sport.

But DTC made great points in here.
s**t just got real

Not his manhood, just on his obvious lack of objectivity and generally of talking out his ass. 100% true though, he very obviously gets carried away.