There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by Joecool:
You know how in the past years, our rushers were always whizzing right behind QB's only for that QB to slightly step up and complete a pass? That's what Alex had in this situation. He was WAY too quick to check down here. Even Greg Cossell, who is a part of Edge NFL Matchup calls this one out on Smith.

Greg Cosell also said it was a 4 reciever set, with 3 recievers to Alex's left and 1 to his right. He doesn't even have the proper play. How can you say ohh hey he's right, when he doesn't even know what the play was?

Q: We do, it was in the first half.
GREG COSELL: Yes, yes. And it was a very basic, what we call three-by-one set. Three receivers to his left, one receiver to his right. The read was defined before the snap of the ball. It was very basic stuff. And he panicked in the pocket, and threw a frenetic incomplete check down. And then what happened later in the game in the 4th quarter? They had two 3rd & goals – one before roughing the kicker and one right after roughing the kicker, both from the four yard line. Did you notice they handed off on both of them?

ergo he is an idiot that knows nothing about football, and this oversight clearly invalidates all of his film assessments of Alex Smith over the last 7 years.
Originally posted by Shaj:
ergo he is an idiot that knows nothing about football, and this oversight clearly invalidates all of his film assessments of Alex Smith over the last 7 years.

U said it not me...
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Amir:
Shaj, that projection is about Fantasy Football.

I don't get your point. It is is a prognostication of his future performance, based on his past performance, done by NFL analysts and statisticians, for application in fantasy football. It could get applied to a Barbie doll house building project, it doesn't matter. It doesn't change the fact that the prognostication is based on REALITY.

It does matter. Just because you're not highly rated in fantasy football doesn't mean you're not a good QB. I'm not arguing whether Smith is good or not, just saying that a fantasy football projection is all about numbers, not wins and loses.

Example:
Eli Manning/Josh Freeman are both good QB's but they're not the ideal fantasy football QB's. Heck, Ryan Fitzpatrick is better rated in fantasy than both of them. Is Fitzpatrick better than Eli? No.

exactly. McNabb put up almost as many fantasy points last week as Smith, but threw for only 39 yards and his team lost.

that assessment says NOTHING about fantasy points or rankings. This is a red herring argument on your parts. All it says is a prognostication of his future performance, based on his past performance. There is nothing fantasy about the statements posted. They are an ESPN NFL analysts opinon of Alex Smith. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

U said it not me...

then tell me the point of your earlier message. You ridiculed his analytical skills. The obvious conclusion is that he is an idiot that doesn't know what he is talking about, and by extension, that his assessments of Smith as SUCKING are therefore flawed and inaccurate.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
that assessment says NOTHING about fantasy points or rankings. This is a red herring argument on your parts. All it says is a prognostication of his future performance, based on his past performance. There is nothing fantasy about the statements posted. They are an ESPN NFL analysts opinon of Alex Smith. Nothing more, nothing less.

"ESPN Fantasy Projection: Smith, a former No. 1 overall pick, has lost heat off his fastball because of shoulder surgery, is jittery in the pocket and has never conquered the accuracy problems that have plagued him since day one. But Jim Harbaugh has decided to use Smith as a bridge to rookie QB Colin Kaepernick, for better or worse. This might be fine news for Vernon Davis, a favored Smith target, but we're guessing it's not great news for the 49ers as a whole."
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Shaj, that projection is about Fantasy Football.

I don't get your point. It is is a prognostication of his future performance, based on his past performance, done by NFL analysts and statisticians, for application in fantasy football. It could get applied to a Barbie doll house building project, it doesn't matter. It doesn't change the fact that the prognostication is based on REALITY.

It does matter. Just because you're not highly rated in fantasy football doesn't mean you're not a good QB. I'm not arguing whether Smith is good or not, just saying that a fantasy football projection is all about numbers, not wins and loses.

Example:
Eli Manning/Josh Freeman are both good QB's but they're not the ideal fantasy football QB's. Heck, Ryan Fitzpatrick is better rated in fantasy than both of them. Is Fitzpatrick better than Eli? No.

exactly. McNabb put up almost as many fantasy points last week as Smith, but threw for only 39 yards and his team lost.

It says: "FANTASY PROJECTION." What do you think its talking about?

That's someone's opinion of Smith, and that's fine, its not entirely wrong, but the opinion is based completely off how valuable he will be in fantasy. We don't need Smith to win fantasy football championships, we need him to win real-world games on Sundays.
Joe Staley:
"I think Alex has been sort of victimized with the coaches in the past," left tackle Joe Staley(notes) said. "It's great to see the connection now and the belief from the players as well as the coaches."
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Joe Staley:
"I think Alex has been sort of victimized with the coaches in the past," left tackle Joe Staley(notes) said. "It's great to see the connection now and the belief from the players as well as the coaches."

you won't accept negative external analyst opinions of Smith, but you will accept inputs from his left tackle, who won't throw his QB under the bus for all the tea in China?
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Davis is moving in the same direction, being guarded by #21, who's also moving in the same direction. Who says #21 doesn't end up right in front of your little window and pick it off? There are so many variables that you can't just pause it where it's convenient for your argument and assume something good will happen.

This picture is perhaps the ultimate example of the futility of the A. Smith debate: NOTHING is going to make either "side" change its mind and EVERYTHING is viewed through a pre-determined filter.

this

However, there have been some good points made along the way that, if the reader is paying attention, will help them to understand just what goes on in a play like this.

Not trying to sound snarky. Just pointing out that there have been some good football comments in this monstrosity.

IS IT ALMOST SUNDAY YET?????????
Joe Staley:

you won't accept negative external analyst opinions of Smith, but you will accept inputs from his left tackle, who won't throw his QB under the bus for all the tea in China?

No actually I did that because it's hearsay. I can find just as much good stuff about Alex as bad stuff. It's all perspective at the moment. Me personally I don't know if Alex is going to be a good QB, but I do think it's unfair to never give the guy credit where it is due. And I mean never. I even posted highlights where the announcers say how pretty some of Alex's passes, and ability to use his legs was. But it turns into "Look at the last 7 yeras." Then I post Staley saying how Alex is a victim of bad coaching, and it turns into a "theory" that Joe is only saying that to be a good team-mate.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Honestly...Gore was the safer decision. COULD HE have thrown it in that "spot?" Yeah maybe. But if he gets picked off then we're all having a different discussion so what's the point. The 3rd picture pretty much shows Alex already made up his mind (he's winding up). The 2nd picture shows he LOOKED over there and saw something he didn't like.

So could have taken the chance? Yes. But really..who cares, we won.

Alex: "Didn't risk, lol."

It was too safe of a decision. The blocking was good AND he had room to step up to allow Gore to be the 3rd read.

Fair enough. I just think its pointless to debate. It's to be expected from a guy who's had his shoulder blown up twice, boo'd, b***hed out for making mistakes, etc.

And frankly, I just don't really trust Alex to make risky throws. He tried it a little in 2009 and 2010 and sometimes it works...but when it doesnt...holy dog s**t....the offense completely implodes. (See: SF vs Eagles 2009, SF vs Titans 2009, SF vs Eagles 2010, SF vs Seahawks game 1 2010).

The other part of this is that it was Crabtree, someone with whom Smith has had less time than any other wideout on the team this year. I will suggest that had it been Morgan or even Edwards instead of Crabtree, Smith would have taken that shot.

This gets back to a point I made in another thread about playing quarterback; in order to play that position confidently and well, you MUST KNOW what your receivers are going to do and when. You cannot sit back and guess or you will lose. You cannot say that because #X would run it "this" way, therefore #Y will do the same thing. That may work by week 6 but if will not work after only two full speed practices together.
Originally posted by susweel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W30acTyVsvo&feature=player_embedded#!

Highlights for the game... Watch Smith and some of his throws and decisions he makes. Even the announcers give him props.

Maybe instead of judging one throw we as a fan base can look at the whole picture.

Great idea!!!

Here's the big picture for Alex Smith:

22 - 36 career win/loss record
72.4 career passer rating

any questions?

124 yards passing 0 TDs and missing wide open players in the endzone.

Could you guys at least say those were good throws? Listen to the announcer at 3:57 "That was a great job extending the play, it was a beautiful throw" Also look at the 9 minute mark "Alex Smith throws an absolute dart. Threads the needle now that is a big time throw"

They're just "saying that." It's all part of some left wing plot to get Alex Smith and extension and get Barack Obama re-elected.
Why can't we wait to bash Alex? At least let him lose a game for us before you throw him under the bus! So asinine to have this discussion now after a win where Alex did everything Jim asked of him. Alex is not trying to live up to your expectations, he's trying to live up to Jim's.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by susweel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W30acTyVsvo&feature=player_embedded#!

Highlights for the game... Watch Smith and some of his throws and decisions he makes. Even the announcers give him props.

Maybe instead of judging one throw we as a fan base can look at the whole picture.

Great idea!!!

Here's the big picture for Alex Smith:

22 - 36 career win/loss record
72.4 career passer rating

any questions?

124 yards passing 0 TDs and missing wide open players in the endzone.

Could you guys at least say those were good throws? Listen to the announcer at 3:57 "That was a great job extending the play, it was a beautiful throw" Also look at the 9 minute mark "Alex Smith throws an absolute dart. Threads the needle now that is a big time throw"

Troy Smith had some incredible throws as well, much more incredible than Smith has thrown in his wet dreams, in fact. Do you wish for me to extoll the virtues of those throws, at the expense of characterizing his overall career potential - which tells a completely different story, just to make Troy Smith fans feeeeel gooooood?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by rk1642:
Why can't we wait to bash Alex? At least let him lose a game for us before you throw him under the bus! So asinine to have this discussion now after a win where Alex did everything Jim asked of him. Alex is not trying to live up to your expectations, he's trying to live up to Jim's.

the waiting never stops. When he sucks, it's not his fault. when we lose, it's not his fault. When we win, it's because of his play. when he throws only 124 yards and no TDs, he's the reason we won, and his missed opportunities in said game were actually the fault of other players and the coaches.