There are 211 users in the forums

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I agree, although that very first scramble I was thinking "wtf when did Alex get so slow" haha
Originally posted by kujon11:
i'm quite happy that he scrambled when he did. it was a refreshing change

I'm glad he scrambled, he used to do that a lot.. then he started getting injured and lost his nerve.

Glad he got his wheels back on.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I'm glad he scrambled, he used to do that a lot.. then he started getting injured and lost his nerve.

see, i dont remember him ever scrambling that much. i remember the cardinal game when he had that huge run but that was it. i think smith is understanding that he should just take what he can get so third downs can be more manageable
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

He needed that run imo. Nolan took his balls Harbaugh has to give them back.
All I know is this, I would take Alex Smiths 124 yds and 0 turnovers over Tony Romo's 345 yards and 2 turnovers any day of the week. The play calling was very conservative and to rate Alex's performance as a conservative qb for this game I give him a B+. I'm sure we'll open up the offense next week a little more because we're gonna need td's against the cowboys. We'll see how Alex plays next week.
OK. It is a universally known fact that Alex Smith is a good guy and likeable character. I don't care! There are a lot of jerks out there who WIN. I don't care what type
of guy he is as long as he wins. Why do people say, "you know he's a nice guy, but .......?" I'll tell you why, because the nice guy is not good enough. We've seen this all before, a decent game followed by 3 or 4 horrendous ones. Both Defenses played well today but it was the seahawks afterall. Do you honestly believe throwing for 124 yds 0 TDs is gonna get us a winning record or the playoffs? I'm not saying the team will suck, but Alex Smith will do what he usually does and that is be mediocre. By the way its not negativity, Its the truth. If we make it to 8-8 the same guys will be saying we're almost there. There are guys in their prime who are being wasted with Alex under Center. ie Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis, Sopoaga. Its embarrassing to still have this guy.
Alex's role today was to be a game manager. What does a game manager do? Be efficient, protect the ball, and make plays when needed. As a game manager against the Seahawks, he completed 75% of his passes, had 0 turnovers, and made some plays when given the opportunity. I think he did a good job with what he was asked to do. If our gameplan was to win with Alex's arm, then I would expect a 250+ yard passing performance with 2+ TD passes...but that didn't appear to be our offensive approach vs Seattle.

In my opinion, individual player performance should be based on how they execute a gameplan. If we went into a game with an emphasis on passing, then I would base our QB performance on passing yards and TD passes. For a game manager type offensive approach, I expect a good completion percentage and ball security.
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
OK. It is a universally known fact that Alex Smith is a good guy and likeable character. I don't care! There are a lot of jerks out there who WIN. I don't care what type
of guy he is as long as he wins. Why do people say, "you know he's a nice guy, but .......?" I'll tell you why, because the nice guy is not good enough. We've seen this all before, a decent game followed by 3 or 4 horrendous ones. Both Defenses played well today but it was the seahawks afterall. Do you honestly believe throwing for 124 yds 0 TDs is gonna get us a winning record or the playoffs? I'm not saying the team will suck, but Alex Smith will do what he usually does and that is be mediocre. By the way its not negativity, Its the truth. If we make it to 8-8 the same guys will be saying we're almost there. There are guys in their prime who are being wasted with Alex under Center. ie Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis, Sopoaga. Its embarrassing to still have this guy.
First off he had 1 touchdown. Secondly, do you honestly believe that he is going to throw up only 124 yds every week? He managed the game and had no costly mistakes. Enjoy the win and save the bashing for when he really deserves it.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Mcnabb threw for like 32 yards

That was one thing Tarvaris Jackson could laugh about on Sunday.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by dj43:
Here is an interesting comparison: Sam Bradford, thought by many to be the next wunderkind, was 17 for 30 for 188 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 75 QBR. For much of the game he looked lost. He never seemed to have the feel with McDaniel that he had with Shurmur last year.

MORAL: Coaching means a lot. Shurmur put Bradford in a position to succeed. McDaniel never seemed to make that connection today.

Bradford was going up against the Eagles' defense, whereas Alex was going up against the Seahawks. Bradford also lost the centerpiece of the offense (Jackson) to injury in the 1st quarter.

There is no moral to this kinda story when it's an apples to oranges comparison.

He also lost his primary receiver for the season, who isn't even that good to begin with. I'd say even apples and oranges are too closely related for a comparison here. Maybe apples and ham or some other non fruit.
[ Edited by LAFortyNinerfan on Sep 12, 2011 at 1:32 AM ]

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
It isn't that we can't be great again, it is just that if our QB isn't 40-40 for 400yds with 4tds 0ints it was a failure of a game.

That is an exaggeration but not far off. So many peoples have been pampered because they know very little before joe cool. I meancome on dude people were. Not happy with steve young, how would jeff garcia stand a chance? Then alex had to follow jeff with a moron as a coach who hired a defensive guy as a QB coach. I know it is alexcuses or whatever. But I am not a jock swinger I usually stay out of it because I see both sides.

That is such crap. The fact is, what we witnessed today was vintage Alex. Safe, conservative and uninspiring football. Good enough to beat s**tty teams like the Seahawks, bad enough to get spanked by playoff contenders. 124 yards with one running TD is not a very good game. Let's be honest, the Seahawks are banged up, there corner opposite Trufant was playing in the CFL last year because he was cut by multiple NFL teams. Smith has Davis, Ginn, Edwards, Walker, Morgan, Gore and Crabtree and the best he can do is 124 yards? Anyone else notice Crabtree wide open in the back of the endzone when Smith decided to pass it to Gore seven yards outside of the endzone? Crabtree was throwing a fit back there trying to get Alex to see him. Rarely does Smith keep his eyes down field. He may have completed 15 passes out of 20, but how many of those went for almost no yards? I'm not trying to bash Smith, but I didn't see anything today that was diffrent from years past. He's always played smart and safe with an occational big play, but that's far from taking over a game or putting the team on your back.
Wow you even bolder the part where I said it is an exaggeration.

I suppose you would rather have tony romo' s performance today or cam Newton? I would love drew brees or matt Ryan at QB. But I am defintly okay with this type of performance.
It was a game when we easily could have had 4 touchdown passes with Colt McCoy at the helm. I'm not bashing Smith's play at all, but there's 30 quarterbacks in the NFL who could do what Alex did today.

You look for your 1st read, and if it's not there dump it off for a 2 yard gain. We had field position thru out most of the game, Seattle had 1 first down the entire 1st half. We went up against a lousy football team, and everyone should be thanking God Ted Ginn took the game over because this game was heading into Sing/ Nolan territory fast. You dick around for 3 quarters and the defense fails in the 4th.

Alex did what he was asked to do. I'm not blaming him, but if you think this is going to work outside of the NFC Worse we gotta another thing coming.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 12, 2011 at 1:56 AM ]
Originally posted by frenchmov:
uh, ok? he made some good throws, didn't make any mistakes. what do you want people to do? anoint him as the NFC probowl starter?

the fanbase has been hurling insults at him nonstop for years. He clearly hasnt been a great QB in the past, but hes also been alot better than people give him credit for. Hes basically produced as a 20th best NFL QB, and people credit him as the worst QB whos ever played. the point of the thread was sarcasm directed at those people.

7 coor. in 7 years, no line, very few weapons, injuries, etc. i honestly dont know WTF people wanted him to do with that hand. here Alex, we gathered the contents of the dumpster behind the McDonalds. make us gourmet food!

anyone with working eyes paying any attention to the 49ers since 2005 should be smart enough to see that weve given Smith about the worst possible chance to succeed that an NFL QB can get. there have been SO many times that Smith drops back to pass, and IMMEDIATELY has defenders in his face due to horrible line play, and he either has to throw it away or get sacked. then about every 49er fan starts booing Smith. really? I know he hasnt been that great, but am I the only one watching these games? Tom Brady cant make the throw when he has no line protection. why would Smith be able to?

what most people call "Alexcuses" I call common sense observations.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:52 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
124 passing yards.

Cam Newton had 400, in his first NFL start.
Originally posted by BobS:
Cam Newton had 400, in his first NFL start.

Cam can keep his 400 and a fat LOSS, I'll keep the 124 no turnovers and a fat W!
Share 49ersWebzone