LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Nice win, but I'm still not happy about the play calling!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Anybody else worried about the running game? I was having flashbacks from last season, with Gore getting stuffed over and over again. That redzone series where the Niners ran the ball 7 times was just awful......
The play calling was conservative, but they won a game they should have won. IMO the Niners are playing with house money against the Cowboys next Sunday and hopefully Harbaugh feels free to take some more risks in a game we're not expected to win.
You mean you didn't like that fact that the only way Harbaugh wants to get into the endzone is by running it in? Alex Smith plays his best in the redzone so why is it that Harbaugh will only let him hand it off in the redzone? I want to see more aggressive play calling and see some damn chances being taken down field. If you can't use the run to set up the pass then use the pass to set up the run.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by obx49:
Yes, its too late now, but they had an opportunity during the offseason to make something happen like trading for Kolb or Orton or even getting a veteran like a Billy Volek or a Matt Hassleback but the FO sat on their hands rather than taking action.
Orton played so-so with the Bears and improved in McDaniels-offense. Perhaps the same goes for Alex with Harbaugh. Kolb is overrated, Hasselbeck is not better than Alex and he is injury-prone. Volek??? He is a career-backup...Where is the improvement?
Sorry but imo you try to find something against Alex but I dont see any argument right now. Neither of the suggested QBs would be an upgrade. Additionally, we would have paid sth for Orton and I dont want to pay anything for him b/c he is not a franchise QB.

This, except i'll add that there are numerous reports that the front office tried to get Hasselbeck and he chose not to come here because he was scared of our offensive line.
Originally posted by backontop:
You mean you didn't like that fact that the only way Harbaugh wants to get into the endzone is by running it in? Alex Smith plays his best in the redzone so why is it that Harbaugh will only let him hand it off in the redzone? I want to see more aggressive play calling and see some damn chances being taken down field. If you can't use the run to set up the pass then use the pass to set up the run.

Nope can't set up the run by passing because our pass protection is horrible. This is the real reason IMO why JH was trying to establish the run
I dont think it's rocket science

1. Our Oline has been inconsistent all preseason

2. It's a new and complicated offense

3. To some extent I think Harbaugh is protecting Smith from the "Home Crowd." Alex needs to build up confidence, not be booed out of the stadium for missing difficult passes.

4. Harbaugh alread gave us the answer; he really doesn't know what he has yet, so it's best not to get too fancy.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

3. To some extent I think Harbaugh is protecting Smith from the "Home Crowd." Alex needs to build up confidence, not be booed out of the stadium for missing difficult passes.

4. Harbaugh alread gave us the answer; he really doesn't know what he has yet, so it's best not to get too fancy.

I threw around this same exact theory.
I am glad that we won but.. i'm not happy about Alex.. He played the short time and not enough times.. I want him must plays long mins than short time for out. And He must earned the TD from 5 to 30 yards... He need fix and work alot what he do!!

I agree with everything except point number 3. I don't think he gives a damn about what the crowd thinks.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

I agree with everything except point number 3. I don't think he gives a damn about what the crowd thinks.

I disagree, when you're trying to build your QB's confidence you don't really want them being booed for every incomplete pass. I think that is why the pass plays that were called were all those short easy throws.

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by boogie:
Just feel that the offense could have done more. Too conservative. Does Harbaugh not trust Smith? Almost felt like Singletary was via satellite calling the plays. :|

we won in spite of our offense, not because of it. Nobody had a productive day offensively if you look at the stats.
we won ! last year we started 0-5 bring on Dallas!
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Today I saw 6 audibles (one done out of the infamous 'wishbone'), 30 substitutions, 2 line shifts, 5 hot-route adjustments, and again... almost 4 f**kING WCO WISHBONE FORMATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can say we're conservative, but this team is nowhere near the team we saw last year, this offense knows what the f**k it's doing, it's just easing itself into things.

There were a few misdirection runs and more play-action passes out of the power-i. Even the running game had more flavors. This is a great start for the O. Can't wait until the O-line get the rhythm down on these new run plays.
Favorite play call of the game. The offsides Harbaugh drew on the Seahawks. That was just gamesmen ship right there. Snyder declares as eligible and moves to reset before the snap. He is an offensive linemen so the dumb ass Seattle player jumps offside. He starts pointing at Snyder like .. he moved...he moved. I think it was 3rd and 4 or something. First down.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalniner:
Nope can't set up the run by passing because our pass protection is horrible. This is the real reason IMO why JH was trying to establish the run

This is simply not true. We were quite successful passing the ball today, and Alex had time to throw with relatively little harassment, save for a couple of occasions where Alex panicked and checked down too soon. Our pass protection is actually better than our run blocking.
Share 49ersWebzone