LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 335 users in the forums

Nice win, but I'm still not happy about the play calling!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I agree the play calling was a bit conservative. But IMO, I think Harbaugh will gamble more when Smith is much more comfortable with this offense. Smith did some good things today but he checked down a lot.

Exactly.

Harbaugh didn't have to gamble to win. This guy has a bunch of plays saved up when necessary. These plays were nothing in similarity to what he called in preseason
I think the offense will get better--the way the game went 16-0 lead--Seattle's offense looked limited--Harbaugh chose to remain conservative. Smith did get a bit more aggressive after it was 16-10--the drive to make it 19-10. In the red zone the Niners didn't do too good and I am sure that will be an emphasis in practice.

I would like to see Kyle Williams play more if Crabtree is still hurting.
Earl Thomas is a stud---
Seattle makes good halftime adjustments
Hunter will be a good one.
Gore runs very hard but can be taken down easily too often
The Niners D looks good--love the aggressiveness--
I am was very happy with the Niners secondary--other than possibly T Brown
I was mad at Ginn for taking the run back on the second half opening kickoff---but apologized after watching his later TD return.
0 turnovers, no key Gore fumble, no key Smith int by a tipped pass--that kept the Niners ahead--no killer mistake.
Would like to see Dixon in short yardage situations, then some play action passes.
Would like to see the WCO slants in the game ( that will come) Seattle scored their long TD on one.

On to play Dallas--go Niners!
anyone who says they're perfectly happy with the offensive performance, wasn't paying much attention. D and special teams won this game. Ginn doesn't return that TD, i'm sure our offense goes 3 and out. FG win for seattle.

no 3rd down conversions????? This is the NFL. Unless we play seattle every week, we're not going to win many games with those offensive numbers.
Originally posted by obx49:
What the hell is your problem? Listen, you might not think Alex is a franchise QB, but based on their comments on other threads throughout Alex's 7 year career, some believe that Alex is the next Joe Montana (see Alex Smith thread.) Hey, you might like being patient, but I'm not. This is just getting really ridiculous, if we all know by now that Alex is not the answer and the coaches do as well then why not make a change already. Its obvious by the play calling today that Harbaugh just doesn't trust Alex. Do you think if Harbaugh had Aaron Rogers at QB rather that Alex Smith then Harbaugh would call the same plays? I think not.
And how should we make a change NOW? Bring in Tolzien? Or even Kaep? Alex never player in a Westcoast offense, iirc. And we had a shortened off-season.
If Harbaugh had the rookie Rodgers, Rodgers wouldnt even had played in this game.

He wanted to see what Alex can do on competitional level and what he cannot do. Now he knows it and it's possible that he will open up the playbook against the gayboys.
[ Edited by communist on Sep 11, 2011 at 7:52 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I'm happy we won but the play calling was absolutely horrendous.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by obx49:
I think its a lack of trust at the QB position and I don't blame Harbaugh one bit. If it was Sing then we would have lost the game. Not Harbaugh's fault at all.

they did better passing the ball than running it. Harbaugh was trying to minimize the likelihood of mistakes and look what happened: 0 sacks, 0 turnovers, 1 win.

Well said. It will open.up much more week after week.
Originally posted by susweel:

Jim fell on the sword for this today, its nice to have a coach that admits when he makes mistakes
Originally posted by jreff22:
Jim fell on the sword for this today, its nice to have a coach that admits when he makes mistakes

did he?

what did he say?
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
anyone who says they're perfectly happy with the offensive performance, wasn't paying much attention. D and special teams won this game. Ginn doesn't return that TD, i'm sure our offense goes 3 and out. FG win for seattle.

no 3rd down conversions????? This is the NFL. Unless we play seattle every week, we're not going to win many games with those offensive numbers.

We were leading and their team didn't score after Ginn got his first TD. Saying that D and special teams won the game is wrong, they HELPED with the game. Every side of our team had a hand in it today.

And we did have a third down conversion. We need more than 1 a game though, obviously.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
I agree the play calling was a bit conservative. But IMO, I think Harbaugh will gamble more when Smith is much more comfortable with this offense. Smith did some good things today but he checked down a lot.

Exactly.

Harbaugh didn't have to gamble to win. This guy has a bunch of plays saved up when necessary. These plays were nothing in similarity to what he called in preseason

I also liked how Harbaugh allowed Smith to check out of a play when he didn't see what he liked, Harbaugh has given Smith much more freedom in this offense.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:

What did he say.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

did he?

what did he say?
bump
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Exactly.

I also liked how Harbaugh allowed Smith to check out of a play when he didn't see what he liked, Harbaugh has given Smith much more freedom in this offense.

Agreed. And it showed today. I don't think we saw Smith do the roll out-throw out of bounds the entire game. Am I correct?

did he?

what did he say?
bump

this
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Agreed. And it showed today. I don't think we saw Smith do the roll out-throw out of bounds the entire game. Am I correct?

he rolled out and threw it to davis that was a pretty throw
Share 49ersWebzone