LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

steve young: i can see alex holding lombardi trophy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
"It's going to be interesting in San Francisco," Meyer said. "Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."
"I'm going to be anxious to watch his development with the 49ers. Alex is so careful with the ball. His touchdown-to-interception ratio the last 2 years was phenomenal (47 touchdowns and seven interceptions). That's because, unless he knows exactly what's going on, he won't throw it. He won't just try to guess and take a shot. He has to know.
"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player.'

I still agree. And he's never had that continuity or consistency. Now with Harbaugh he will. If he had 2 years under Harbaugh it would be better. And he may get that.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
"It's going to be interesting in San Francisco," Meyer said. "Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."
"I'm going to be anxious to watch his development with the 49ers. Alex is so careful with the ball. His touchdown-to-interception ratio the last 2 years was phenomenal (47 touchdowns and seven interceptions). That's because, unless he knows exactly what's going on, he won't throw it. He won't just try to guess and take a shot. He has to know.
"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player.'

I still agree. And he's never had that continuity or consistency. Now with Harbaugh he will. If he had 2 years under Harbaugh it would be better. And he may get that.

It still won't be smiths fault. It will be the oline's fault, the wr's fault, etc

Originally posted by rk1642:
Why can't you just accept that Steve has watched the same crappy coaching that Alex has had to deal with and has an understanding of what that can do to a qb? He was in the same situation in his career and great coaching and better players surrounding him turned his career around. He simply sees what we all see, and that is that Jim is qb coach who knows how to get the most out of his qb and it could make the difference for Alex like Bill did for him. No hidden motive or lies, just a guy who went thru some of the same things and is giving an honest opinion.

Because then he would be wrong about taking such a ridiculous, absolutist stance. That is more important than the team winning.
the funny thing is, when Rice berates Smith, Rice is an old bitter retiree who knows nothing about football other than how to play the WR position. When Young gives Smith adulation, he is a savvy football analyst with shrewd insight. The Rice thread is locked, I'm guessing this one won't be. lol.

it won't be locked because it's not tje same old tired bashing. an this is coming from people who played in this offense and win super bowls. Jerry rice might know the qb position, but not as much as the two.

nothing comes from knocking alex-especially your locked thread. not much will ome from this either, but it's a breath of fresh air.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by rk1642:
Why can't you just accept that Steve has watched the same crappy coaching that Alex has had to deal with and has an understanding of what that can do to a qb? He was in the same situation in his career and great coaching and better players surrounding him turned his career around. He simply sees what we all see, and that is that Jim is qb coach who knows how to get the most out of his qb and it could make the difference for Alex like Bill did for him. No hidden motive or lies, just a guy who went thru some of the same things and is giving an honest opinion.

Because then he would be wrong about taking such a ridiculous, absolutist stance. That is more important than the team winning.

Yeah..

Based on what I've read. This is the general idea I get from some others' posts.

"Rice is right. Steve and Montana are wrong."

Okay... Anyone else see the problem here? Everyone is only taking the words of these individuals as gospel if it supports their own opinion. Rice has his reasons for thinking the way he does. I'm sure he has valid reasoning and points. But so do Montana and Young, and just because you have an overall opinion about Alex Smith either way, does not mean that EITHER player is 100% right or 100% wrong or are saying things that aren't true.

How about looking through the lens of impartiality for once and at least ATTEMPTING to garner some understanding and actually stop and consider for once the things being said.
He's 100% right. I'm not saying Alex could be all world but my godness he's really not as bad as people make him out to be. He's just been coached by awful defensive minded coaches. The comment about teaching his to play QB as just another position is the key quote and is why Alex hasnt developed.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
He's 100% right. I'm not saying Alex could be all world but my godness he's really not as bad as people make him out to be. He's just been coached by awful defensive minded coaches. The comment about teaching his to play QB as just another position is the key quote and is why Alex hasnt developed.

You sir "get it"
All I have to say is if somehow someway Alex Smith becomes a success under coach Harbaugh, it will be the final piece to a championship calibur team. Alex Smith is pretty much loaded with weapons across the board, this offense is basically a huge time bomb ticking...and the players themselves know it.

That's pretty much why I'm extremely stoked about this season.
[ Edited by verb1der on Sep 10, 2011 at 11:28 AM ]
this gave me a good laugh this morning.....

Btw, why hasn't this been locked? If i remember correctly the Rice comments on Alex were locked with the quickness
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Sep 10, 2011 at 11:33 AM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Is it Sunday at 4:15 pm est yet?
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

Btw, why hasn't this been locked? If i remember correctly the Rice comments on Alex were locked with the quickness

What you were expecting fairness when Alex Smith is involved Wont ever happen until hes off the team for atleast 2 seasons

Originally posted by verb1der:
Wait for it...

I rented this movie out of curiosity. Totally FREAKish!
Young's position has been consistent, but changes when circumstances change...Harbaugh reinstituting the WCO. Now he sees the parallel with his days in TB and knows that Smith may be a much better QB given a much better system and coaching.

Montana tends to stay out of the news so any comment he makes gets my attention. As for the post saying QBs always support each other? Ask T Bradshaw about Montana some day and watch him turn himself in knots to explain how over rated he is.

Rice sees the game from the WR point of view--I was opened and you didn't get me the ball so you are wrong and bad. Rice doesn't care that the QB had 1.5 seconds to get the ball off, he just knows he was opened. Compare Rice's comments with Young's detailed comment. Specifically, the 3rd and 15 situation when all the receivers are 30 yards down the field and covered. This is accurate and very astute. I have never heard Rice stating specifics in this manner.

Do I ignore Rice? No, he was a great WR and he knows a great QB when he sees one and (no surprise) Smith is not that. Does Rice know how to build a great QB as well as Montana and Young? No, I really doubt that he does.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Young's position has been consistent, but changes when circumstances change...Harbaugh reinstituting the WCO. Now he sees the parallel with his days in TB and knows that Smith may be a much better QB given a much better system and coaching.

Montana tends to stay out of the news so any comment he makes gets my attention. As for the post saying QBs always support each other? Ask T Bradshaw about Montana some day and watch him turn himself in knots to explain how over rated he is.

Rice sees the game from the WR point of view--I was opened and you didn't get me the ball so you are wrong and bad. Rice doesn't care that the QB had 1.5 seconds to get the ball off, he just knows he was opened. Compare Rice's comments with Young's detailed comment. Specifically, the 3rd and 15 situation when all the receivers are 30 yards down the field and covered. This is accurate and very astute. I have never heard Rice stating specifics in this manner.

Do I ignore Rice? No, he was a great WR and he knows a great QB when he sees one and (no surprise) Smith is not that. Does Rice know how to build a great QB as well as Montana and Young? No, I really doubt that he does.

Great post.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

What you were expecting fairness when Alex Smith is involved Wont ever happen until hes off the team for atleast 2 seasons
Apparently, its too much to ask for. In that case, we should get rid of all the so called "hate threads", which includes Crabtree, A. Davis, Chilo Rachaal, etc since we cannot criticize Alex. Why not make fair across the board?

Oh, and I hope hes off the team sooner than your prediction
This is my recollection as well. So was he an idiot then and a genius now? Can't have it both ways. I don't think this singular quote can be taken out of context.

Yes you can. The Unibomber proved this.
Share 49ersWebzone