Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by sacniner:
# of GMs in the league that would pick Alex over Cam as their QB: 0

Wow... are you hopping on every thread that involves Smith and making it into an Alex vs Cam thread? What QB had better numbers than Cam today? We get you don't like Alex, but he is what he is. Deal with it. Lets hope he keeps the TOs to a minimum and makes the throws when he has to. Your comparison is really ridiculous.

what's frustrating me is the degree of homerism here. people are not just drinking kool aid, I think they're swimming in it. it's frustrating to me because fans have a bigger voice than we think we do, but if this site is at all representative of the total fan base, we are extremely complacent and easily satisfied, most of all at the qb position.

when smith loses games and puts up bad stats, it's his peers and coaching. when he has an solid but unspectacular game with sub-average yards and no passing TDs and the D and ST wins it, he's a hero. When Cam throws for 400 yards in his NFL debut, it's meaningless because the team didn't win. Jeez, if Alex threw for 400 yards in a loss in year 7, this place would be pandemonium.

I think I'm one of very few objective people on this site.

Shaj, I agree with every point in your post. I really do.

But I think the point that is being made here against you is that NO ONE is claiming Smith as a hero. People are just saying that it's a good start by a QB who has been the reason we lost in so many games in the past. He definitely didn't do any of that today, and had more good plays than bad ones. Considering the circumstances and what he was asked to do, he had a solid game. Lets hope and look forward to him improving each week as Harbaugh opens the playbook up as well.

fair enough, it's true that nobody is calling him a hero, but if you were to sort the results of all NFL QBs from yesterday and take the names off and you didn't know which set of results belonged to Smith. Nobody in their right mind would highlight Smith's results in any way for any reason under any circumstances, unless it were to be known that this was a # 1 overall pick after 7 years that only threw for 124 yards and zero td's. against the seahawks.

I compare to cam because I am so sick of QB after QB every year coming out of the chute playing very well in new systems (and Cam's HC is a defensive coach by the way) and into very bad teams and suddenly there is this dramatic turn around that nobody wants to give those QBs credit, they want to give credit to the rest of the team, but when our QB plays well, it's all on him. When Smith plays bad, suddenly it's the team and coaching's fault again.

I just don't see how we can ever get better with this type of attitude.

and it's true that I'm not satisfied. I am not easily satisfied. I expect the kind of results that I see first round and lower QBs producing with other teams. Smith is still in the lowest echelon of NFL QB's. When he's consensus in the top third, then I'll stop complaining, and I would love to give him all the credit he deserves. I hope he succeeds, but the track record says he is not on pace to become young or montana, but rather, he IS a modern day Tim Couch. Only more likeable, and with a better attitude and work ethic, which evidence indicates is worth exactly zero on the field.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by sacniner:
# of GMs in the league that would pick Alex over Cam as their QB: 0

Wow... are you hopping on every thread that involves Smith and making it into an Alex vs Cam thread? What QB had better numbers than Cam today? We get you don't like Alex, but he is what he is. Deal with it. Lets hope he keeps the TOs to a minimum and makes the throws when he has to. Your comparison is really ridiculous.

what's frustrating me is the degree of homerism here. people are not just drinking kool aid, I think they're swimming in it. it's frustrating to me because fans have a bigger voice than we think we do, but if this site is at all representative of the total fan base, we are extremely complacent and easily satisfied, most of all at the qb position.

when smith loses games and puts up bad stats, it's his peers and coaching. when he has an solid but unspectacular game with sub-average yards and no passing TDs and the D and ST wins it, he's a hero. When Cam throws for 400 yards in his NFL debut, it's meaningless because the team didn't win. Jeez, if Alex threw for 400 yards in a loss in year 7, this place would be pandemonium.

I think I'm one of very few objective people on this site.

Shaj, I agree with every point in your post. I really do.

But I think the point that is being made here against you is that NO ONE is claiming Smith as a hero. People are just saying that it's a good start by a QB who has been the reason we lost in so many games in the past. He definitely didn't do any of that today, and had more good plays than bad ones. Considering the circumstances and what he was asked to do, he had a solid game. Lets hope and look forward to him improving each week as Harbaugh opens the playbook up as well.

fair enough, it's true that nobody is calling him a hero, but if you were to sort the results of all NFL QBs from yesterday and take the names off and you didn't know which set of results belonged to Smith. Nobody in their right mind would highlight Smith's results in any way for any reason under any circumstances, unless it were to be known that this was a # 1 overall pick after 7 years that only threw for 124 yards and zero td's. against the seahawks.

I compare to cam because I am so sick of QB after QB every year coming out of the chute playing very well in new systems (and Cam's HC is a defensive coach by the way) and into very bad teams and suddenly there is this dramatic turn around that nobody wants to give those QBs credit, they want to give credit to the rest of the team, but when our QB plays well, it's all on him. When Smith plays bad, suddenly it's the team and coaching's fault again.

I just don't see how we can ever get better with this type of attitude.

and it's true that I'm not satisfied. I am not easily satisfied. I expect the kind of results that I see first round and lower QBs producing with other teams. Smith is still in the lowest echelon of NFL QB's. When he's consensus in the top third, then I'll stop complaining, and I would love to give him all the credit he deserves. I hope he succeeds, but the track record says he is not on pace to become young or montana, but rather, he IS a modern day Tim Couch. Only more likeable, and with a better attitude and work ethic, which evidence indicates is worth exactly zero on the field.

Dude you fail to realize one big thing here. Alex and Co. are ALL learning a new system and the coaches used this game to try to find an identity. Figuring out what's going to work for them and what's not. Cam is being placed in a system where the players that have been there already know the ins and outs of what to do in certain situations.

Let me explain it in a way that might tickle your brain. In 2009 the 49ers had a new system (yet again), Alex didn't play one game until he was put in against the Texans. Which was week 7, so in a way the TEAM was pretty much up to speed on the new scheme/system. He lit them up for 206 yards 3 TDs in a one half. Keep in mind the last game he played was in 2007 prior to coming in.

You're just being very selective when it comes to judging Alex, he didn't play for almost 2 years in the new system in 2009 and he went on to have a decent year and sent Vernon Davis to the probowl.

Highlights of game: http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d813b455b/NFL-GameDay-49ers-vs-Texans-highlights
[ Edited by gamechanger on Sep 12, 2011 at 8:16 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Shaj,

What's your deal?

lol, good one. My deal is that Alex gets personal credit for a 124 yard no td passes win and Cam gets no credit for 400+ yard loss his first day in the NFL. Alex needed an entire year to stop putting his jock strap on backwards in the locker room. Cam's already done what Alex has never done, and in all likelihood will never do. unless he goes to the arena league.

cam looked like s**t in the red zone when the game was on the line though

And Alex looked awesome, right?

he looked pretty good handing the ball off over and over and over and over. Kind of hard to look bad doing that.

That pass behind the defender's back to the outside of Vernon Davis for a long gainer was pretty good. 'Throwing the receiver open' If you are a football fan, you would have to appreciate that one no matter how much hate you have for Smith.

I agree. That one throw was nice.
For those (Shaj) who pray at the altar of the QBR - Smith had a pretty good week. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6943920/nfl-week-1-total-qbr-leaders
  • dj43
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
For those (Shaj) who pray at the altar of the QBR - Smith had a pretty good week. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6943920/nfl-week-1-total-qbr-leaders

#10 overall. A lot of very good QBs had worse days than Alex. Big Ben at the bottom of the list with 5 TOs = BAD. Matt Ryan, Hasselback, Kolb, Bradford, Eli, McNabb, all below Smith.
Share 49ersWebzone