LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

steve young: i can see alex holding lombardi trophy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
Am sure glad the haters and lovers arnt the head coaches of our team. Both sides have been blinded by their hate/love affair with Alex. The haters definatly have valid arguments why Smith should go. On the other hand the lovers have valid arguments why Smith hasnt gotton the job done. Does the truth lie somewhere in the middle? I dont think so myself. It lies on the football field. Either way the point is Alex is the man for at least this year and the haters/lovers need to quite down and watch the season unfold and at the end we will all know who is right.

Is it really like that at all? I have not ran into one person who 'loves' Alex Smith. Plenty of 'haters' but I can blame them. However, I don't know where all these people who love Alex Smith are hiding because I cant sure find any of them. Most people I talk to just want him to play well and understand that he's not the sole reason the Niners haven't been a winning team or made the playoffs in a long time. Hardly anyone I come across expects much from him. Maybe I'm wrong.

To some alex "haters", if you're not a fellow "hater", than you're an alex "lover". Simple as that. Everything is black and white concerning smith. No shades of grey.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Steve used to hate on Alex, steve is smart as crap so if he has changed his stance, something positive may be in the works.
Originally posted by carlgo:
I've heard a number of Young interviews over the years and inevitably Smith comes up in the discussion. The impression is always that Young is not terribly enthusiastic about Smith, acknowledges the poor coaching over the years, but pretty much believes that Smith can improve with decent coaching and that a good team can take a serviceable Smith along with it to success. Maybe, though, not a really lofty level of success.

This is my recollection as well. So was he an idiot then and a genius now? Can't have it both ways. I don't think this singular quote can be taken out of context.

How is it taken out of context? He's talking about alex in his current situation.

We're only talking about a singular positive comment by young and ignoring all the other negative ones.

The situation has changed. Young is allowed to change his opinion.

You will be allowed to change your opinion if Young is correct, too.
Experts underestimate what good coaching can do for a QB. Almost seems like they feel Alex cant be taught because you cant teach an old dog new tricks. They say he has not got it done yet so therefore he is not capable. Young more than anyone understands what good coaching can do for a QB as it helped transform him into a HOF QB. I also dont think that most "experts" realize just how bad the play calling has been. I think Alex will make major strides this year.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Steve used to hate on Alex, steve is smart as crap so if he has changed his stance, something positive may be in the works.
Originally posted by carlgo:
I've heard a number of Young interviews over the years and inevitably Smith comes up in the discussion. The impression is always that Young is not terribly enthusiastic about Smith, acknowledges the poor coaching over the years, but pretty much believes that Smith can improve with decent coaching and that a good team can take a serviceable Smith along with it to success. Maybe, though, not a really lofty level of success.

This is my recollection as well. So was he an idiot then and a genius now? Can't have it both ways. I don't think this singular quote can be taken out of context.

How is it taken out of context? He's talking about alex in his current situation.

We're only talking about a singular positive comment by young and ignoring all the other negative ones.

Why can't you just accept that Steve has watched the same crappy coaching that Alex has had to deal with and has an understanding of what that can do to a qb? He was in the same situation in his career and great coaching and better players surrounding him turned his career around. He simply sees what we all see, and that is that Jim is qb coach who knows how to get the most out of his qb and it could make the difference for Alex like Bill did for him. No hidden motive or lies, just a guy who went thru some of the same things and is giving an honest opinion.
"It's going to be interesting in San Francisco," Meyer said. "Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."
"I'm going to be anxious to watch his development with the 49ers. Alex is so careful with the ball. His touchdown-to-interception ratio the last 2 years was phenomenal (47 touchdowns and seven interceptions). That's because, unless he knows exactly what's going on, he won't throw it. He won't just try to guess and take a shot. He has to know.
"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player.'
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Whoa I thought this was another April fools thread.
Wait for it...
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Whoa I thought this was another April fools thread.

Irrational exuberance knows no season, lol
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
"It's going to be interesting in San Francisco," Meyer said. "Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."
"I'm going to be anxious to watch his development with the 49ers. Alex is so careful with the ball. His touchdown-to-interception ratio the last 2 years was phenomenal (47 touchdowns and seven interceptions). That's because, unless he knows exactly what's going on, he won't throw it. He won't just try to guess and take a shot. He has to know.
"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player.'

I still agree. And he's never had that continuity or consistency. Now with Harbaugh he will. If he had 2 years under Harbaugh it would be better. And he may get that.
This thread just fking sucks

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I still agree. And he's never had that continuity or consistency. Now with Harbaugh he will. If he had 2 years under Harbaugh it would be better. And he may get that.

It still won't be smiths fault. It will be the oline's fault, the wr's fault, etc
i must have an eye problem, cuz i just don't see this happening
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Well yeah, you'll rarely find a former athlete ripping on a current player unless that player unanimously deserves it like Jamarcus Russel. Steve Young is just being political. Most here recognize that.

if that were the case woulnt he say he will do it because he is a talented athlethic qb etc. he went on and gave a reason that isnt being political thats genuine

Its only genuine because it is what zoners want to hear. If he said Alex sucks, the he would be a grumpy ex qb who know nothing about football analysis.

It's only not genuine because it is what YOU do not want to hear, if he had said ALEX SUCKS, you'd be making a thread about it and taking the exact same line you always do. You need to get over yourself, it is getting pathetic. First you try and claim to know more about Montana on the WCO and now you are claiming to know better about QBs than both Steve Young and Jim Harbaugh, man you are seriously making a spectacle of yourself.

It still won't be smiths fault. It will be the oline's fault, the wr's fault, etc

Don`t you mean it`s all Smith`s fault....
Share 49ersWebzone