LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

steve young: i can see alex holding lombardi trophy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Steve used to hate on Alex, steve is smart as crap so if he has changed his stance, something positive may be in the works.
I've heard a number of Young interviews over the years and inevitably Smith comes up in the discussion. The impression is always that Young is not terribly enthusiastic about Smith, acknowledges the poor coaching over the years, but pretty much believes that Smith can improve with decent coaching and that a good team can take a serviceable Smith along with it to success. Maybe, though, not a really lofty level of success.
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
Am sure glad the haters and lovers arnt the head coaches of our team. Both sides have been blinded by their hate/love affair with Alex. The haters definatly have valid arguments why Smith should go. On the other hand the lovers have valid arguments why Smith hasnt gotton the job done. Does the truth lie somewhere in the middle? I dont think so myself. It lies on the football field. Either way the point is Alex is the man for at least this year and the haters/lovers need to quite down and watch the season unfold and at the end we will all know who is right.

Is it really like that at all? I have not ran into one person who 'loves' Alex Smith. Plenty of 'haters' but I can blame them. However, I don't know where all these people who love Alex Smith are hiding because I cant sure find any of them. Most people I talk to just want him to play well and understand that he's not the sole reason the Niners haven't been a winning team or made the playoffs in a long time. Hardly anyone I come across expects much from him. Maybe I'm wrong.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Steve used to hate on Alex, steve is smart as crap so if he has changed his stance, something positive may be in the works.
Originally posted by carlgo:
I've heard a number of Young interviews over the years and inevitably Smith comes up in the discussion. The impression is always that Young is not terribly enthusiastic about Smith, acknowledges the poor coaching over the years, but pretty much believes that Smith can improve with decent coaching and that a good team can take a serviceable Smith along with it to success. Maybe, though, not a really lofty level of success.

This is my recollection as well. So was he an idiot then and a genius now? Can't have it both ways. I don't think this singular quote can be taken out of context.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
I wasn't twisting his words, I was being sarcastic. I'm also pointing out that every nfl analyst that praises Smith is a shrewd and insigjtful nfl analyst and every analyst that trashes Smith is an idiot. If you don't see this then you have selective retention

Where are all these people who feel this way? Straw man argument again.

Just this week, smith was trashed by sando, rice, and eric davis. Coincidentally, they are all idiots.

Again, where are all these people who say Rice, Sando and Davis are idiots because they trashed Smith? Where are they? Is there a thread I'm missing out on? Is there a weekly meeting of "Alex Apologist" that I wasn't aware of. Or maybe, like I've already said, you're attacking a group of people that only exist in your head.
Am sure glad the haters and lovers arnt the head coaches of our team. Both sides have been blinded by their hate/love affair with Alex. The haters definatly have valid arguments why Smith should go. On the other hand the lovers have valid arguments why Smith hasnt gotton the job done. Does the truth lie somewhere in the middle? I dont think so myself. It lies on the football field. Either way the point is Alex is the man for at least this year and the haters/lovers need to quite down and watch the season unfold and at the end we will all know who is right.

Is it really like that at all? I have not ran into one person who 'loves' Alex Smith. Plenty of 'haters' but I can blame them. However, I don't know where all these people who love Alex Smith are hiding because I cant sure find any of them. Most people I talk to just want him to play well and understand that he's not the sole reason the Niners haven't been a winning team or made the playoffs in a long time. Hardly anyone I come across expects much from him. Maybe I'm wrong.

Eh your not wrong maybe my choice of words lover should be called defenders. Well I myself has a lot of respect for Alex as a man and football player. Is he a good QB - eh I think not. Can he be a good QB - eh I think so.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I wasn't twisting his words, I was being sarcastic. I'm also pointing out that every nfl analyst that praises Smith is a shrewd and insigjtful nfl analyst and every analyst that trashes Smith is an idiot. If you don't see this then you have selective retention

Where are all these people who feel this way? Straw man argument again.

Just this week, smith was trashed by sando, rice, and eric davis. Coincidentally, they are all idiots.

Again, where are all these people who say Rice, Sando and Davis are idiots because they trashed Smith? Where are they? Is there a thread I'm missing out on? Is there a weekly meeting of "Alex Apologist" that I wasn't aware of. Or maybe, like I've already said, you're attacking a group of people that only exist in your head.

Go read the rice thread that got locked just yesterday.
Steve talked about a lot of good qb in the league aren't lucky enough to have a 'platform' to show how good they can be. The platform he was referring to is having the offensive system that caters to the qb, not disregard it as any other position.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

How smart is crap?

Who knows how sincere he's being with the level of praise, but I have to agree that it's unlikely that he would contradict himself unless there was a reason for him to change his opinion.

I seriously doubt that it's an outright lie. He has no motivation to lie about his opinion.

Plus, the guy knows what it's like going from an inept coaching staff to an elite coaching staff.

Here's to the hopes that Harbaugh is truly elite!

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I honestly think it's possible. IMO Alex has had clueless developers. Now he has a master. Plus his line has always sucked. If they can fix that he will do pretty well with the weapons he has this year. I don't know if it will happen or not. But I don't think it's impossible.

Were it not for everyone else's ineptitude, Smith would have been a 6 time all pro qb. I would love to suck at my job year after year and have everyone else get blamed/fired

this organization has been a huge mess from top to bottom for almost a decade

Yes. And not Alex's fault.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

Eh your not wrong maybe my choice of words lover should be called defenders. Well I myself has a lot of respect for Alex as a man and football player. Is he a good QB - eh I think not. Can he be a good QB - eh I think so.

He could win a superbowl if he had a trent dilfer like situation the year the ravens won the superbowl. Everything would have to be perfect and hed have to just play very very average
Yeah, me too. After he runs on the field and tackles Aaron Rodgers and starts running with the trophy.

This is my recollection as well. So was he an idiot then and a genius now? Can't have it both ways. I don't think this singular quote can be taken out of context.

How is it taken out of context? He's talking about alex in his current situation.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by aTx49er:

How is it taken out of context? He's talking about alex in his current situation.

We're only talking about a singular positive comment by young and ignoring all the other negative ones.
Share 49ersWebzone