There are 616 users in the forums
steve young: i can see alex holding lombardi trophy
Sep 10, 2011 at 9:53 PM
- Oakland-Niner
- Member
- Posts: 24,062
I feel like I'm waiting for the great pumpkin.....
Sep 10, 2011 at 9:55 PM
- OnTheClock
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 38,588
Originally posted by Shaj:Originally posted by GNielsen:That's one of the interesting things about these webzone discussions. On any given day, you can find guys who are clearly more in the know than Steve Young! Steve Young? What does he know? If you want real football knowledge, you come to a webzone discussion! These guys will set you straight.
how about Jerry Rice? What does he know?
"Alex Smith is not the type of quarterback that is going to elevate other players' games. "It's going to be that other players have to elevate his game."
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_18836888?nclick_check=1
In a way it makes sense. All the missed blocks, dropped passes, and run-for-your life circumstances we've seen would hinder a QB from helping everyone else on the team look like they're coming close to actually doing their job.
I think it goes both ways. Pass-protect, and catch it when it hits your hands. But like Montana said, with virtually no opportunity to make plays, "what do you want him to do? He's either got to throw it into traffic or take a sack or throw it away, so none of them are very good options." I think all three -- Montana, Young, and Rice -- have some interesting and valid points about our team. All three concede the team around him has been bad and the situation Alex has been in has been very, very bad.
Sep 10, 2011 at 10:40 PM
- dtg_9er
- Veteran
- Posts: 33,204
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
In a way it makes sense. All the missed blocks, dropped passes, and run-for-your life circumstances we've seen would hinder a QB from helping everyone else on the team look like they're coming close to actually doing their job.
I think it goes both ways. Pass-protect, and catch it when it hits your hands. But like Montana said, with virtually no opportunity to make plays, "what do you want him to do? He's either got to throw it into traffic or take a sack or throw it away, so none of them are very good options." I think all three -- Montana, Young, and Rice -- have some interesting and valid points about our team. All three concede the team around him has been bad and the situation Alex has been in has been very, very bad.
Hard to argue with any of the three because they make legitimate points, though from differing perspectives. But when I think of Singletary as HC none of this matters. The more I think about Singletary being placed in charge of the 9ers the more disgusted I am. Nolan at least had the background of DC and had one year as a WR coach with the Ravens (2001). His longest tenure as a DC was three years. But at least he had that experience.
Singletary had two years as a Raven LB coach when he followed Nolan to the 9ers, becoming LB coach and assistant HC. Just amazingly shortsighted management decision. He had been turned down as HC at Baylor because he lacked experience but it was OK with the Yorks to make him assistant HC and then HC. And some people want to blame the teams failures on a player?
Sep 10, 2011 at 11:15 PM
- SJniner7
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,749
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I still agree. And he's never had that continuity or consistency. Now with Harbaugh he will. If he had 2 years under Harbaugh it would be better. And he may get that.
Don't you dare! I am sorry, but if Niners don't make the playoffs, Smith needs to go! Unless we barely miss at like 11-5 or 10-6
Sep 10, 2011 at 11:41 PM
- Bali-Niner
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,107
Originally posted by BHulman:You can say that again BMan......... Seachicks are GOIN DOWN!!
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
All conjecture at this point due to things changing dramatically with our coaching. The good thing, the really good thing; is that the Smith issue will finally be put to bed one way or the other starting tomorrow. Now,, don't that feel good?!
NINERS!
What would really feel good is the Niners beating the crap out of Seattle tomorrow.
Sep 11, 2011 at 12:03 AM
- dwy621
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,087
Admit it, who laughed when you saw the title? LOL
Sep 11, 2011 at 1:04 AM
- SanDiego49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 52,352
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I still agree. And he's never had that continuity or consistency. Now with Harbaugh he will. If he had 2 years under Harbaugh it would be better. And he may get that.
Don't you dare! I am sorry, but if Niners don't make the playoffs, Smith needs to go! Unless we barely miss at like 11-5 or 10-6
If he wins 9 games or more we could see 8 years Alex Smith.....
Sep 11, 2011 at 1:18 AM
- 4ML
- Veteran
- Posts: 53,673
If Alex Smith doesn't take big steps under Harbaugh by mid-season, he is done here. It starts tomorrow and Alex needs to get us the win. I expect him to improve, it's just a matter of how much and if it results in more wins for us. I'm not even concerned about any trophies right now - I just want to beat up on the Seahawks.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Sep 11, 2011 at 1:19 AM ]
Sep 11, 2011 at 1:25 AM
- WillistheWall
- Veteran
- Posts: 22,848
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
If Alex Smith doesn't take big steps under Harbaugh by mid-season, he is done here. It starts tomorrow and Alex needs to get us the win. I expect him to improve, it's just a matter of how much and if it results in more wins for us. I'm not even concerned about any trophies right now - I just want to beat up on the Seahawks.
+1
Sep 11, 2011 at 1:41 AM
- DonnieDarko
- Veteran
- Posts: 66,892
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I still agree. And he's never had that continuity or consistency. Now with Harbaugh he will. If he had 2 years under Harbaugh it would be better. And he may get that.
Don't you dare! I am sorry, but if Niners don't make the playoffs, Smith needs to go! Unless we barely miss at like 11-5 or 10-6
If he wins 9 games or more we could see 8 years Alex Smith.....
if he wins 9 and makes playoffs then lets give him a 3 yr extension
Sep 11, 2011 at 2:21 AM
- BrianGO
- Veteran
- Posts: 10,300
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I feel like I'm waiting for the great pumpkin.....
Every year I feel like Charlie Brown while Alex Smith is Lucy.
Sep 11, 2011 at 3:20 AM
- leebert81
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,164
I think this is just a big misunderstanding. Steve thought the question was about Aldon Smith.
Sep 11, 2011 at 3:31 AM
- WildBill
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,217
Originally posted by Shaj:
the funny thing is, when Rice berates Smith, Rice is an old bitter retiree who knows nothing about football other than how to play the WR position. When Young gives Smith adulation, he is a savvy football analyst with shrewd insight. The Rice thread is locked, I'm guessing this one won't be. lol.
Just because Rice gives his point of view he is an old bitter retiree? Give me a break. Young has given his opinion and has been wrong numerous times. Although Montana is right in that last couple of years with Raye as the OC, the niners were so predicatble. Yesat Alex has had many coordinators which has hurt him, still a good QB would show a glimpses of talent. JH will make him a better QB of that I am sure (which is not hard considering), but not a pro bowl qb.
Sep 11, 2011 at 4:17 AM
- ninerfan29
- Veteran
- Posts: 268
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Shaj:
the funny thing is, when Rice berates Smith, Rice is an old bitter retiree who knows nothing about football other than how to play the WR position. When Young gives Smith adulation, he is a savvy football analyst with shrewd insight. The Rice thread is locked, I'm guessing this one won't be. lol.
Just because Rice gives his point of view he is an old bitter retiree? Give me a break. Young has given his opinion and has been wrong numerous times. Although Montana is right in that last couple of years with Raye as the OC, the niners were so predicatble. Yesat Alex has had many coordinators which has hurt him, still a good QB would show a glimpses of talent. JH will make him a better QB of that I am sure (which is not hard considering), but not a pro bowl qb.
The sad thing is Alex has shown glimpses of talent but only that. And do to failures with the coaches and the Oline as well as everything else that has gone wrong in 49er land. Alex hasn't been able to show consistency.
I believe truly that with this new coaching staff and the new path the 9ners have chosen Alex can become a good QB. And I would like to think he surprises us and maybe becomes a Pro Bowl QB. I know its laughable to think he could ever be one at this point in time. But the guy is still young and if these coaches are who we think they are. I think he has the potential to live up to his being a #1 draft pick.
Sep 11, 2011 at 6:28 AM
- dtg_9er
- Veteran
- Posts: 33,204
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I feel like I'm waiting for the great pumpkin.....
Every year I feel like Charlie Brown while Alex Smith is Lucy.
More like Smith is Charlie and the Yorks are Lucy. "We promise to give you what you need to succeed this year...really!"