There are 240 users in the forums

Crabtree..whats with him and what would you like to do

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Crabtree..whats with him and what would you like to do

Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Timing is so crucial in the pocket. I won't kill Alex for it but if he just took an extra 1/2 a second he would have seen Crabs coming across. But in this game you can't wait too long. He saw Gore wide open and took that yardage. But to get to the next level he has to start seeing those open windows

If he had taken the extra 1/2 a sec to wait for crabs to get open, he would have hesitated in typical alex style.. D would have located crabs and picked it off maybe.. Lot's of what if's but Alex is good in the redzone for a reason, he doesn't take huge risks and throw pick sixers.

No, he's good in the redzone when he throws to Vernon in the middle of the field. Take Vernon out and Alex is terrible in the redzone. This is what teams are doing now.

Vernon drew all the coverage his way as Crabs broke his route the opposite way and got behind the Linebacker. If Alex would have looked left he could have seen crabs coming across. So Vernon still presents problems in the red zone by sucking up coverages.

Alex was looking left the whole time, and as soon he went to his 2nd progression (Gore) Crabtree started to break free. Alex threw the ball due to timing and pressure. He made the safe throw. Now if Gore helps out by moving towards the endzone before the throw instead of waiting for the ball, it could've easily been 6. I'm tired of seeing our receivers standing there and not moving to an open spot of the field or in this case in the endzone, they need to work on this!
[ Edited by gamechanger on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:04 AM ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
No, he's good in the redzone when he throws to Vernon in the middle of the field. Take Vernon out and Alex is terrible in the redzone. This is what teams are doing now.

I think it's more because he rarely gets in the RZ, and when he does, we're usually down 3 scores late in the game and teams aren't trying as hard. When the pressure's on, generally we get 3.
Originally posted by valrod33:
How many of Alex Smiths 30 redzone TDs have gone to V??

Good question, probably double the number as have gone to crabtree. Delanie probably has double the number that has gone to crabtree.
[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:03 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Expecting the two of them to have the chemistry for Smith to throw that ball to a spot to which Crabtree had not yet reached is just not realistic.

If Crabtree can ever stay healthy long enough for these two to actually practice that route and get the timing down, they yes, if Smith doesn't throw it then it is all on him. Until that time it is lacking in football intelligence to suggest Smith should have thrown that ball in anticipation of Crabtree coming open.

This is so true. Crabtree needs to get healthy enough to sustain several weeks of everyday practice. If he can't do that by year-end, I would look to trade Crabtree for a high pick in the 2012 draft, especially if Edwards can be signed to a long-term deal first. If Crabtree does get healthy and generate trust and confidence with whomever is the Niner QB, then his performance (or lack thereof) should determine his future with the club.
Originally posted by TX9R:
I think it's more because he rarely gets in the RZ, and when he does, we're usually down 3 scores late in the game and teams aren't trying as hard. When the pressure's on, generally we get 3.

I think any defense in the nfl (except the colts yesterday) has pride and refuses to let another team score. I doubt when the niners are down by 3 scores, that they relax and let alex throw td passes.

Did we relax late in the game when we were up 3 scores (after ginn with like 2.5 mins remaining) and let tjax score again? No, we forced a 3-out that caused a punt return td... then we sack/fumbled Tjax to win the game.

Originally posted by jimbagg:
This is so true. Crabtree needs to get healthy enough to sustain several weeks of everyday practice. If he can't do that by year-end, I would look to trade Crabtree for a high pick in the 2012 draft, especially if Edwards can be signed to a long-term deal first. If Crabtree does get healthy and generate trust and confidence with whomever is the Niner QB, then his performance (or lack thereof) should determine his future with the club.
I don't think we trade crabtree even next year. The niners strike out so often when drafting WR's. Let's say we trade crabs, resign braylon, then braylon goes down. We are left with morgan (ok) ginn (lol, didnt catch) and some low round guys who when they do get on the field, can't get open.
[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:07 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by TX9R:

I think any defense in the nfl (except the colts yesterday) has pride and refuses to let another team score. I doubt when the niners are down by 3 scores, that they relax and let alex throw td passes.

Did we relax late in the game when we were up 3 scores (after ginn with like 2.5 mins remaining) and let tjax score again? No, we forced a 3-out that caused a punt return td... then we sack/fumbled Tjax to win the game.

I don't think we trade crabtree even next year. The niners strike out so often when drafting WR's. Let's say we trade crabs, resign braylon, then braylon goes down. We are left with morgan (ok) ginn (lol, didnt catch) and some low round guys who when they do get on the field, can't get open.

Trading Crabtree talk is foolishness. For one thing, no team is going to give up very much for a guy with his history of foot injuries. Until/unless he gets healthy and STAYS healthy, he isn't worth very much.

If he gets healthy, there is no reason to believe he could not be at least a solid #2 receiver. A tandem of Edwards/Crabtree could be nice package. So since there are really no other realistic options, waiting for him to get healthy is the only choice.
At the end of the day drafting a wr that was injured and that is slow just wasn't smart. Orakpo or Oher should have been the pick. I was hype to get him and didn't even realize they drafted a injured player. Hopefully he comes around.
Crabs needs to sit if he isn't fully recovered. Come back at 100% and not have to worry about it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by sacniner:
Crabs needs to sit if he isn't fully recovered. Come back at 100% and not have to worry about it.

I just read in Barrows column that "Crabtree told reporters Sunday that his left foot hadn't fully healed since the last fracture, which occurred on June 6, and that he was in so much pain yesterday he thought it might have been broken again."

If this is true and I were Jed York, I would fire every doctor and trainer that had anything to do with that decision. Such a decision is nothing short of malpractice.

In my current work I am involved with podiatrists almost every day where I build orthotics (inserts into shoes to support feet that have been injured or just need biomechanical help). I have had a long history dealing with these issues with skiers and soccer players in particular. I know how the foot works and how long it takes to heal in many cases. If MC's foot is still sore it is because the bone is not yet able to carry the full weight. The pain indicates incomplete healing. He needs to sit until that bone heals completely. The fact that it has taken this long already is an indication that there is a problem that needs more time yet. If he re-breaks that bone now, he will be out for the season.

This sounds disturbingly like Nolan and the docs trying to get Alex Smith to play through the pain of a piece of wire sawing through his shoulder.

I don't mean to sound like an alarmist but this just doesn't mesh with what I have learned about feet.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Timing is so crucial in the pocket. I won't kill Alex for it but if he just took an extra 1/2 a second he would have seen Crabs coming across. But in this game you can't wait too long. He saw Gore wide open and took that yardage. But to get to the next level he has to start seeing those open windows

If he had taken the extra 1/2 a sec to wait for crabs to get open, he would have hesitated in typical alex style.. D would have located crabs and picked it off maybe.. Lot's of what if's but Alex is good in the redzone for a reason, he doesn't take huge risks and throw pick sixers.

How many of Alex Smiths 30 redzone TDs have gone to V??

Yet another baseless claim by JoeCool.

Really Joe? He'd be "terrible?" 30 TDs and 1 INT all because of VD? Stupidest s**t I've read this year. And even if ALL 30TDs were to VD...who cares? LOL. I'm sure you could apply that standard to ANY QB in the league. "Take away ________ and Brees/Rodgers/Brady/Manning/Ryan/Sanchez/Eli/etc/etc/etc would be below average in the _______________."

Joe...your posts are like Alex Smith. You have 4 or 5 really good posts followed by one extremely bone headed post that just boggles the mind. I still love you though.

Webzone knowledge again surfaces. Good stuff, dj43.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Yet another baseless claim by JoeCool.

Really Joe? He'd be "terrible?" 30 TDs and 1 INT all because of VD? Stupidest s**t I've read this year. And even if ALL 30TDs were to VD...who cares? LOL. I'm sure you could apply that standard to ANY QB in the league. "Take away ________ and Brees/Rodgers/Brady/Manning/Ryan/Sanchez/Eli/etc/etc/etc would be below average in the _______________."

Joe...your posts are like Alex Smith. You have 4 or 5 really good posts followed by one extremely bone headed post that just boggles the mind. I still love you though.

• dj43
Webzone knowledge again surfaces. Good stuff, dj43.

Thank you, sir.
No matter the foot problems, Crabtree had yet another drop of a very catchable pass. I'm sure he'd deny that drop as he has every other. With a chronic foot problem that has had alot of time to heal , this doesn't bode well for when he will finally become available and 100 %, if ever. Prior to that however, he has made little to no effort to establish any kind of rapport with Smith, so timing routes, anticipation, etc are a virtuall impossibility. I'd rather bring Ziggy back than rely on Crabtree.
I understand Crabtree wants to help the team, and that he has played on a broken foot before back at Tech, but this can't be allowed to be a lingering problem. Not this early in a season. Let it heal so you can actually make it through all the games.

At Texas Tech, it was hurt late in the year. Right now it's hurt at the beginning. While we could definitely use him, I'd rather have him for 14+ games.. than just 1.. and then him injured and out for the rest.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone