LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Crabtree..whats with him and what would you like to do

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Crabtree..whats with him and what would you like to do

• dj43
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
I think Crabs may end up being damaged goods. Damn was Al Davis right about this dude??

@CamInman Cam Inman
Friend of mine is pediatrist who told me last night #49ers Mike Crabtree's foot injury will forever hinder him. Sure looked that way today

A pediatrist is a baby doctor. I think you wanted to say PODiatrist. Or did you mean to imply Crabtree has been acting like a baby? j/k

Actually a baby doctor is a pediatrician but I couldn't resist a little attempt at humor.
[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 12, 2011 at 9:14 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Why are people acting like we lost?

I don't know if I'm acting as if we lost, just that it's not as much of a confidence-instilling win as we'd like to see. You have to admit, Seattle made a game of it after they made half-time adjustments and it was clear the defense started to become a bit winded. Seattle was clearly undermanned and I guess given the competition, IMHO, we should have won and won big. An OL missing it's best player, an offense missing it's best weapon and starting 2 rookies. It shouldn't have come as close as 2 points for me. The Seahawks out-gained the 49ers, the coaches settled for field goals and it was closer than the score indicated. Yes, a win, but I'm just not sold - at least not yet.

Don't expect Dallas to kick the ball to Ginn.

Half-Time adjustments was a dissappointment. Harbaugh pulled a Singletary, especially after that roughing the kicker call with about 6 minutes left. Harbaugh was obviously trying to run down the clock being up by two scores while hoping to score but it could have came back and bit us if Ginn didn't take it back. I wanted to see a foot on the throat nail it in the endzone after that penalty.
His open dislike for Alex will also hurt his production, as well as his sloppy rout running. Several of Alex's INT's bounced of Crabtrees hands last year, so let me think, I dis the Qb, I ran lazy routes, and don't fight for the ball? HMMM I wonder why I can stand alone in the endzone while Alex checks down to Frank! He needs to work harder, make nice and hope this blossoming chemistry with Edwards, doesn't cost him his starting roll, BTW Morgan looked good yesterday, Crabs you better pick it up...
He's not fast. He's not big. Doesn't have the amazing hands everybody was raving about. He's not a team player (so far). Am I missing anything else?

From an athletic standpoint (for a WR), he's average. He played "big" (at least in college), but it's not translating in the NFL, Edwards looks like he's 10x the physical receiver that Crabtree was supposed to be. At 6'1, 215, with arms as big as Alex's, you're not gonna bully too many DBs in the NFL. Now, I'm not saying that athletically "average" WR's cant succeed in the NFL (Rice, H. Ward, Holt, etc), but these guys worked their asses off, these guys were first on the field and last to leave. They didn't have the explosive 4.3 speed, or the 40+ vertical, but they worked hard on different aspects of the game, something Crabtree hasn't been doing (injury or not).
Originally posted by Joecool:
Half-Time adjustments was a dissappointment. Harbaugh pulled a Singletary, especially after that roughing the kicker call with about 6 minutes left. Harbaugh was obviously trying to run down the clock being up by two scores while hoping to score but it could have came back and bit us if Ginn didn't take it back. I wanted to see a foot on the throat nail it in the endzone after that penalty.
You know that if we hadnt converted that 4th down into a TD, the chickens would have been leading by 1 point...
Did you see the way he raged out like a little girl ,when alex was under slight pressure and checked down?

In the back of the endzone he was acting all pissed off, showing up his qb and team.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Did you see the way he raged out like a little girl ,when alex was under slight pressure and checked down?

In the back of the endzone he was acting all pissed off, showing up his qb and team.

I didn't have that much of a problem with that. He was wide open. Alex again can't find the open window.
  • dj43
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

I didn't have that much of a problem with that. He was wide open. Alex again can't find the open window.

Expecting the two of them to have the chemistry for Smith to throw that ball to a spot to which Crabtree had not yet reached is just not realistic.

If Crabtree can ever stay healthy long enough for these two to actually practice that route and get the timing down, they yes, if Smith doesn't throw it then it is all on him. Until that time it is lacking in football intelligence to suggest Smith should have thrown that ball in anticipation of Crabtree coming open.
Originally posted by dj43:

Expecting the two of them to have the chemistry for Smith to throw that ball to a spot to which Crabtree had not yet reached is just not realistic.

If Crabtree can ever stay healthy long enough for these two to actually practice that route and get the timing down, they yes, if Smith doesn't throw it then it is all on him. Until that time it is lacking in football intelligence to suggest Smith should have thrown that ball in anticipation of Crabtree coming open.

Timing is so crucial in the pocket. I won't kill Alex for it but if he just took an extra 1/2 a second he would have seen Crabs coming across. But in this game you can't wait too long. He saw Gore wide open and took that yardage. But to get to the next level he has to start seeing those open windows
Timing is so crucial in the pocket. I won't kill Alex for it but if he just took an extra 1/2 a second he would have seen Crabs coming across. But in this game you can't wait too long. He saw Gore wide open and took that yardage. But to get to the next level he has to start seeing those open windows

If he had taken the extra 1/2 a sec to wait for crabs to get open, he would have hesitated in typical alex style.. D would have located crabs and picked it off maybe.. Lot's of what if's but Alex is good in the redzone for a reason, he doesn't take huge risks and throw pick sixers.

If he had taken the extra 1/2 a sec to wait for crabs to get open, he would have hesitated in typical alex style.. D would have located crabs and picked it off maybe.. Lot's of what if's but Alex is good in the redzone for a reason, he doesn't take huge risks and throw pick sixers.

No, he's good in the redzone when he throws to Vernon in the middle of the field. Take Vernon out and Alex is terrible in the redzone. This is what teams are doing now.

No, he's good in the redzone when he throws to Vernon in the middle of the field. Take Vernon out and Alex is terrible in the redzone. This is what teams are doing now.

Vernon drew all the coverage his way as Crabs broke his route the opposite way and got behind the Linebacker. If Alex would have looked left he could have seen crabs coming across. So Vernon still presents problems in the red zone by sucking up coverages.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
He's not fast. He's not big. Doesn't have the amazing hands everybody was raving about. He's not a team player (so far). Am I missing anything else?

From an athletic standpoint (for a WR), he's average. He played "big" (at least in college), but it's not translating in the NFL, Edwards looks like he's 10x the physical receiver that Crabtree was supposed to be. At 6'1, 215, with arms as big as Alex's, you're not gonna bully too many DBs in the NFL. Now, I'm not saying that athletically "average" WR's cant succeed in the NFL (Rice, H. Ward, Holt, etc), but these guys worked their asses off, these guys were first on the field and last to leave. They didn't have the explosive 4.3 speed, or the 40+ vertical, but they worked hard on different aspects of the game, something Crabtree hasn't been doing (injury or not).

I completely agree with everything you said. I am really starting to NOT like Crabtree.

How many of Alex Smiths 30 redzone TDs have gone to V??
  • dj43

Vernon drew all the coverage his way as Crabs broke his route the opposite way and got behind the Linebacker. If Alex would have looked left he could have seen crabs coming across. So Vernon still presents problems in the red zone by sucking up coverages.

All that is good except that Crabtree has had so little time working with Smith that they still do not have any real chemistry between them. I would bet that if Morgan had been on that route instead of Crabtree, Smith would have found him.

The "elephant in the room" that no one wants to talk about is the fact that Crabtree and Smith do not appear to get along very well. Whether that is true or not, what IS true is that the two of them have been on the same page FAR LESS than any of the other receivers. Until MC gets healthy and can begin working on a more consistent basis, I do not expect Crabtree to be a big part of the offense. ...and now, he has renewed foot pain that is obviously a big concern. Foot pain in a area of a recent break is NOT a good sign. I don't expect to see him practicing much this week, if at all.
[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:23 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone