LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien is a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
He's a WCO qb to boot. This is beginning to look even better.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=96817&plckItemsPerPage=50&plckSort=TimeStampAscending

Really nice article, this could work out quite well. Makes me think maybe we were just waiting for him to be released
[ Edited by Paul on Sep 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM ]
Originally posted by redrathman:
Webzone, meet your new Nate Davis.

Originally posted by Paul:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
He's a WCO qb to boot. This is beginning to look even better.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=96817&plckItemsPerPage=50&plckSort=TimeStampAscending

pretty cool short article... Few questions I'm wondering, why did the Chargers release him.. why didn't we sign him at the start, and what does his future really hold? Still excited

Chargers carry 2 QBs on the roster and Tolzien chose SD because the 49ers invested heavily in Kaepernick
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=96827

In addition, his 10-inch hand size -- the measurement of his outstretched throwing hand from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the little finger -- is considered slightly above-average for an NFL quarterback.

Well, I'm glad we don't have THAT to worry about...

oh yeah, its good to have a qb with nice big hands. wanna see him wrap his fingers around some nice leathery balls

eww....
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
So can we start practicing the "We want Tolzien" chant.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
So can we start practicing the "We want Tolzien" chant.

we only have 6 weeks to practice....
the more WCO type qbs the better. next year i'm down to pick up matt flynn from green bay
Several examples of Charger fan posts in their forums to get a flavor of their sentiments.

Haven't really found any "meh - he was garbage anyway" posts.

"Tolzien is better than Whitehurst and he got us a 2nd round pick when it was clear we were never gona use him. Tolzien at worst would be backing up Philip maybe as early as 2012!. I am livid with this decision. I expect we will lose him now and all the good work done with him = gone to waste, to some other team's benefit. Ridiculous cut."

"Tolzien went where I figured he would...... he so far outplayed Krapens**t it wasn't even funny."

"So we kept a useless 1 armed Cooper, and cut a QB that would be a huge upgrade to Volek starting next year? I thought for sure Dallas would have grabbed Baxter since they released their starting center.

I'm bummed about the Chargers letting Tolzien go when they knew how good he was. But I'm glad for Tolzien and happy he went to the Niners in the NFC. He will get a legitimate chance to start quickly if not before the end of the year when Smith does his annual melt down.

Then the Chargers will sign Smith next year touting what a great signing it is ignoring they could have had Tolzien for 5 years. Are the Chargers that stupid to think Rivers won't be out for any extended time in the next 5 years? Have people forgotten how many years it takes to develop a QB? Tolzien is further along in his development than most early round QBs. If the Chargers lose Rivers (godforbid) their SB window will slam shut for 5-6 years. With Tolzien they would have had a very good starting QB from 2013 on.

All this to keep Cooper? That is the height of stupidity."
Originally posted by AllForTheNiners:

Andy Lee disapproves.

damn. I forgot all about andy. I'm sure he would be willing to part with the number in the name of science. Does andy lee have a band that scotty t. can promote through the media?
Glad we got him before Indy could

Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Several examples of Charger fan posts in their forums to get a flavor of their sentiments.

Haven't really found any "meh - he was garbage anyway" posts.

"Tolzien is better than Whitehurst and he got us a 2nd round pick when it was clear we were never gona use him. Tolzien at worst would be backing up Philip maybe as early as 2012!. I am livid with this decision. I expect we will lose him now and all the good work done with him = gone to waste, to some other team's benefit. Ridiculous cut."

"Tolzien went where I figured he would...... he so far outplayed Krapens**t it wasn't even funny."

"So we kept a useless 1 armed Cooper, and cut a QB that would be a huge upgrade to Volek starting next year? I thought for sure Dallas would have grabbed Baxter since they released their starting center.

I'm bummed about the Chargers letting Tolzien go when they knew how good he was. But I'm glad for Tolzien and happy he went to the Niners in the NFC. He will get a legitimate chance to start quickly if not before the end of the year when Smith does his annual melt down.

Then the Chargers will sign Smith next year touting what a great signing it is ignoring they could have had Tolzien for 5 years. Are the Chargers that stupid to think Rivers won't be out for any extended time in the next 5 years? Have people forgotten how many years it takes to develop a QB? Tolzien is further along in his development than most early round QBs. If the Chargers lose Rivers (godforbid) their SB window will slam shut for 5-6 years. With Tolzien they would have had a very good starting QB from 2013 on.

All this to keep Cooper? That is the height of stupidity."

Im not trying to bash Kaepernick but how the hell does a Charger fan have a better nickname than anything the Webzone has come up with???
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Im not trying to bash Kaepernick but how the hell does a Charger fan have a better nickname than anything the Webzone has come up with???
Yeh. That post made me LOL.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

they have smarter fans in their "charger talk"

lol
Tolzien impressed me most on that big 37-yard 9-route down the sideline to Robinson. -Was made off a poor snap from a 2nd string center; off-titled ball, yet Tolzien kept his poise, footwork, and progressions in motion whilst stabilizing his grip like it was nothing (very impressive).

Watching it again right now, Culliver was in perfect coverage on Robinson, but the ball was thrown just so damn accurately there was no stopping the completion.

-Scott looks straight ahead during his drops, doesn't move his head until he goes through his progressions (pure WCO-instincts nailed into him at Wisconsin). -This dude should be our definite #2 encase of emergency.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
-This dude should be our definite #2 encase of emergency.

It looks like that's the case. I wonder what Kaepernick is think!?!
Share 49ersWebzone