LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 193 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien is a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
START HIM
So now this guy is the future at QB and Kaepernick is a bum.

I love Niner Talk
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
GREAT signing. Kid looked SOLID in the game.

Totally agreed. He was throwing dimes all over the damn place lol

I think the bottom line is, better than Kap.

Right now he is. We drafted Kap for his potential, he's clearly not ready yet.
Originally posted by Lifer:
Nice developmental prospect. Tolzien is a good fit for the West Coast Offense. But our depth at QB is Alex Smith and two rookies? Seriously?

This sums up my thoughts as well. Tolzien's a nice pickup in the respect that he looked like he has a bit of talent and we're adding him without losing anything. That being said, we'll have an extremely difficult time winning games if Alex gets hurt, even if he only misses a couple of games. We need Alex for all 16 this year.

Dunno if I'd call it "GREAT" just yet.

But it's a very good one, as far as giving us some terrific developmental potential to work with. The kid is extremely accurate and although he does not possess the rocket arm or size of a guy like Ryan Mallett, Tolzien appears to possess the ability to throw "the perfect pass" that is indefensible. When a guy has that in his arsenal, all you need to do is hone his other talents for him to be a very good QB in this league.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
This move is aimed at 2012 and beyond. Harbaugh is clearly rolling the dice on 2011. I think he has so much confidence in himself, his system, and his coaching staff that he believes he can make Alex Smith into a winner now. If Smith goes down for one or two games, they can get by with one of the rookies plus a simplified playbook and emphasis on the running game. If Smith goes down with a season ending injury... well, then you lose your gamble. But as an NFL Head Coach, the best time to gamble and lose is your first season. Ownership, management, and the fans are much more tolerant of failure in your first year than at any other time. So it's Alex Smith and cross your fingers for now, but you've got two good QB prospects for the future.
Originally posted by kelson49er:
The real question: will they let Tolzien wear #16?

Only in practice
I know this will sounds like a fantasy football perspective, but I think it's very true for the NFL as well. Players are essentially a commodity and GMs are businessmen. Speculators, if you will. Like in all businesses, you want to buy low and sell high. If you can get a player that you think will turn out to have value for basically free, then you do it.

Look how well other teams have done developing QBs when they already have a solid starter. The Eagles, Pats, and Falcons have all added value to their team by getting players cheap, building their value, and then trading them for higher value. That's part of how they stay good. Look at how many first and second round picks the Pats have every year!

The 9ers had the chance to get a player that actually showed promise at against other NFL players. At a position that is very difficult to scout. It was a good move to grab him.

If both Kaep and Tolzien turn out to be good players then we keep the best and trade the other. If only one of them turns into a good player then the choice is made for us. If neither of them turns into a good player, then we should have picked up even more rookie QBs.

Dunno if I'd call it "GREAT" just yet.

But it's a very good one, as far as giving us some terrific developmental potential to work with. The kid is extremely accurate and although he does not possess the rocket arm or size of a guy like Ryan Mallett, Tolzien appears to possess the ability to throw "the perfect pass" that is indefensible. When a guy has that in his arsenal, all you need to do is hone his other talents for him to be a very good QB in this league.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
JH is a bit of a gambler but not reckless. McGown went through TC and is a vet. Niners should bring him in as an assistant qb coach. He is at practice each day and could throw to receivers during warm-ups etc. If Alex got hurt they could sign McGown if neither of the other 2 qbs are ready. He could be mentoring the younger guys and be an insurance policy. I'm sure he would rather be coaching in the NFL (125K) with a possiblity of playing (800K) than coaching high school players in some small town for free. He didn't strike me as a guy who was ready to hang up his cleats just yet.

Who the f**k is McGown?

• mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
anyone still think kap isnt the #2 qb?

Kaep is the number 2 because he knows the offense. But as far as future #1? I think they are both about even as far as future possibility. Both are projects, giving the edge to Tolzien due to experience in a pro-style and playing under center.

even? hardly even imo. the niners took kap in the top of the 2nd rd for a reason. because they really like his potential and upside.he is the only player in ncaa history to throw for 10,000 yds and rush for 4,000 yds. kap has that elite talent that you just dont see every day. tolzien may look more comfortable now, because he played under center in college. but make no mistake about it. kap has a much higher ceiling then tolzien.

This is what people always say about higher draft picks -- higher upside -- and then occassionally a kid like Montana, Brady emerge. NOT COMPARING TOLZEIN to Montana or Brady, just saying. I like Kap's upside too, and the coaches clearly believed that in drafting him. But the real proof in upside isn't college stats, its who grasps and excels in the offensive scheme and become a Pro QB!

yeah thats some of it. but physical tools are also a big part of it. and kap has all the tools baby.

Just cause you have tools doesn't mean you know how to use them, the intangibles are important. Sometimes you find a guy who can do more with less "physical tools", is better at reading defenses, and makes fewer dumb decisions. That kinda stuff can't really be measured at the combine.

Brady/montana being the rare examples, but I even liked noodle armed shaun hill more than alex a few years ago, because he simply could keep the chains moving without making dumb decisions. I'm not saying kaep is the next alex or tolzien the next hill, but the good thing is only one of them has to turn into a solid starter. Competition is a good thing imo, colin now knows he doesn't just get a free ride to sit the year behind alex with no pressure.
Mark Clayton just said he doesn get this move. He said we shoulda got a veteran to shore up the QB spot. He said in alex goes down, and we have to rely on 2 rookie QBs to win games, our next QB is going to be Andrew Luck.
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Sep 4, 2011 at 11:53 AM ]
This move is aimed at 2012 and beyond. Harbaugh is clearly rolling the dice on 2011. I think he has so much confidence in himself, his system, and his coaching staff that he believes he can make Alex Smith into a winner now. If Smith goes down for one or two games, they can get by with one of the rookies plus a simplified playbook and emphasis on the running game. If Smith goes down with a season ending injury... well, then you lose your gamble. But as an NFL Head Coach, the best time to gamble and lose is your first season. Ownership, management, and the fans are much more tolerant of failure in your first year than at any other time. So it's Alex Smith and cross your fingers for now, but you've got two good QB prospects for the future.

Very astute and insightful observations. I think you hit the nail on the head on all counts.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Nice developmental prospect. Tolzien is a good fit for the West Coast Offense. But our depth at QB is Alex Smith and two rookies? Seriously?

This sums up my thoughts as well. Tolzien's a nice pickup in the respect that he looked like he has a bit of talent and we're adding him without losing anything. That being said, we'll have an extremely difficult time winning games if Alex gets hurt, even if he only misses a couple of games. We need Alex for all 16 this year.

i think jh just wants to find a qb for the future at this point. i think he is more interested in the big picture. he will sacrifice some games this year for the betterment of the team if need be. but it doesnt appear he is going to play some veteran when he could be teaching his possible qb of the future how to be an nfl qb. all you guys talk about sitting and learning, blah, blah, blah. the best way to learn something is by doing not watching. i think jh preffers the hands on approach as well.

jh is just searching for his qb for the next 10 years!
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
JH is a bit of a gambler but not reckless. McGown went through TC and is a vet. Niners should bring him in as an assistant qb coach. He is at practice each day and could throw to receivers during warm-ups etc. If Alex got hurt they could sign McGown if neither of the other 2 qbs are ready. He could be mentoring the younger guys and be an insurance policy. I'm sure he would rather be coaching in the NFL (125K) with a possiblity of playing (800K) than coaching high school players in some small town for free. He didn't strike me as a guy who was ready to hang up his cleats just yet.

Who the f**k is McGown?

not a "who" but a "what" : McDonald's has gotten into the wedding business.
Share 49ersWebzone