LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

What we didn't see during the 49ers preseason

Shop Find 49ers gear online
crabtrees face on the sidelines and no starters go down to a injury
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I think Harbaugh was totalling sandbaggin the whole preseason. The 49ers ran basic vanilla HS schemes. There is absolutely no meaningful game film for opposing teams to gameplan with.

Absolutely! A couple of the offensive players have said as much since the last preseason game. I think Davis said they only ran about 10% of their formations. I expect the team to be a hell of a lot more prepared for their first game against Seattle than they were last year. I'm not expecting them to be real good right off the bat, but it's been a long time since I've been this excited to see them play, especially offense. And, I think some of the fans around here are panicking about the defense for no good reason. Their run defense was excellent and everyone should keep in mind that they didn't even allow Drew Brees to get a first down playing without about four of their defensive starters.
Fo
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Absolutely! A couple of the offensive players have said as much since the last preseason game. I think Davis said they only ran about 10% of their formations. I expect the team to be a hell of a lot more prepared for their first game against Seattle than they were last year. I'm not expecting them to be real good right off the bat, but it's been a long time since I've been this excited to see them play, especially offense. And, I think some of the fans around here are panicking about the defense for no good reason. Their run defense was excellent and everyone should keep in mind that they didn't even allow Drew Brees to get a first down playing without about four of their defensive starters.

For really old folks, it may be reminiscent of Bill Walsh's first season. Much more imagination and aggression than before, but with enough gaps in talent and depth that the team will seem very ragtag -- on occasion utterly deplorable -- and their final W-L record won't be stellar, to say the least. If they successfully build talent through draft and FA acquisitions, and coach up their players into cohesive units, we should see a lot of improvement over the next 2-3 years.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Sep 4, 2011 at 5:47 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Fo

For really old folks, it may be reminiscent of Bill Walsh's first season. Much more imagination and aggression than before, but with enough gaps in talent and depth that the team will seem very ragtag -- on occasion utterly deplorable -- and their final W-L record won't be stellar, to say the least. If they successfully build talent through draft and FA acquisitions, and coach up their players into cohesive units, we should see a lot of improvement over the next 2-3 years.

this team is much better than what Walsh had to work with in his first season
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
this team is much better than what Walsh had to work with in his first season

Unfortunately, so is most of the opposition...
We didn't see our offensive line blocking on passing plays. Maybe that's one of those things we didn't want to show in preseason.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
We didn't see our offensive line blocking on passing plays. Maybe that's one of those things we didn't want to show in preseason.
Nice call. I can see not revealing offensive formations and plays, but blocking is fundamental.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I think Harbaugh was totalling sandbaggin the whole preseason. The 49ers ran basic vanilla HS schemes. There is absolutely no meaningful game film for opposing teams to gameplan with.

Agree. I can't wait for this first game too see what happens
Originally posted by brizznasty:
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126

what i really want to see is a screen pass to hunter

this

oh man im already getting excited!!

from six to midnight, man. from six to midnight!
The sad/exciting truth is that this season comes down to being 3 wins better than last year!!! 9 wins guys. Come on!! We can do it!

Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Fo

The talent on this team is much better than the 79 team however there are many similiarities. Alex is like DeBerg with Colin in the wings you get the feeling that after 5 years we finally have a coach however this season will be a roller coaster ride where we play well one week and barley lose and the next week we look horrible. Harbaugh is smart he is going to use Smith up like Walsh did with DeBerg so Colin can watch and learn than mid next season Colin will take over. IMO like the early horrible Walsh teams we lost yet in a weird way was fun to watch you could see change and that Walsh was evolutionizing football. I think this team will be similiar accept no evolution. I expect us to probably win 5 maybe 6 games at most.
But but...those are just Alex excuses!!!

That was a preview of what our offense has to offer!!

...idiots
What I really noticed was the no passing in the red zone. It seemed like when we got to the goal line harbaugh pulled the reins in and only ran it up the middle. Can't wait to see this first game!
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Barely saw VD play
Harbaugh is like a crafty old fox, preseason seemed odd for a reason and that reason was Harbaugh being sneaking . Once were in game situations none of us (including our opponents ) will know whats coming all they have on film is three runs up the gut ,same players and formations. This is going to be exciting I'm with WRATHman44 "six to midnight"

Rest of league Coach Harbaugh
Share 49ersWebzone