There are 305 users in the forums

What we didn't see during the 49ers preseason

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We all have to remember that Jim and the coaching staff we're way behind in terms of player eval. They used the preseason as a very condensed version of what would have been a long off season of determining who could even fit into the new schemes. Hardly any of the preseason could be used for installing the playbook so we had a very limited version of what Jim and the staff will be using once the season begins. That being said, I think we will continue to struggel on O as we install more of the WCO as the season progresses. I'm guessing its gonna take at least until week 6 before we start to come together as a fully functioning unit but then we are gonna go on a big time run.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
What I really noticed was the no passing in the red zone. It seemed like when we got to the goal line harbaugh pulled the reins in and only ran it up the middle. Can't wait to see this first game!

We did run a lot in the Red Zone; but, there were several passes attempted as well (especially by our first string O in the SD game).
Gore barely played and VD didn't play as well. While I still expect our O to struggle, it will be much more fun to watch.
I don't recall seeing any plays using the TE's in the pre-season...and supposedly JH loves to use the TEs....so I have a feeling VD and Delanie will have a coming out party this sunday. Adjust your fantasy rosters accordingly!
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I think Harbaugh was totalling sandbaggin the whole preseason. The 49ers ran basic vanilla HS schemes. There is absolutely no meaningful game film for opposing teams to gameplan with.

Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I think Harbaugh was totalling sandbaggin the whole preseason. The 49ers ran basic vanilla HS schemes. There is absolutely no meaningful game film for opposing teams to gameplan with.

Absolutely! A couple of the offensive players have said as much since the last preseason game. I think Davis said they only ran about 10% of their formations. I expect the team to be a hell of a lot more prepared for their first game against Seattle than they were last year. I'm not expecting them to be real good right off the bat, but it's been a long time since I've been this excited to see them play, especially offense. And, I think some of the fans around here are panicking about the defense for no good reason. Their run defense was excellent and everyone should keep in mind that they didn't even allow Drew Brees to get a first down playing without about four of their defensive starters.

And we looked like crap in 2 of the 4 games. Imagine what will happen when they open the playbook to more complicated formations, plays, shifts, motions, etc?

I am optimistic based on what I saw in the last game, but there are serious reasons to be concerned based on what we saw in the other games.
Originally posted by verb1der:
I don't recall seeing any plays using the TE's in the pre-season...and supposedly JH loves to use the TEs....so I have a feeling VD and Delanie will have a coming out party this sunday. Adjust your fantasy rosters accordingly!

Vernon will have his best year evar! Alex just needs enough time to spread it around. I also expect Alex to use his legs more this season.
Originally posted by verb1der:

I hope we use them more; but, the TE's did have several passes thrown their way in the Pre-Season games...
The first series in the SDiego game gave me a lot of optimisim. Nice mix of running and short passes that kept the chains moving, took 8+ minutes off the clock and a score. That was encouraging. I'm really looking forward to the D blitz packages. I feel we'll go through a fair amount of growing pains and will see increased improvement throughout the season.

This season is building the foundation and we may still get into the playoffs.
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Fo
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Absolutely! A couple of the offensive players have said as much since the last preseason game. I think Davis said they only ran about 10% of their formations. I expect the team to be a hell of a lot more prepared for their first game against Seattle than they were last year. I'm not expecting them to be real good right off the bat, but it's been a long time since I've been this excited to see them play, especially offense. And, I think some of the fans around here are panicking about the defense for no good reason. Their run defense was excellent and everyone should keep in mind that they didn't even allow Drew Brees to get a first down playing without about four of their defensive starters.

For really old folks, it may be reminiscent of Bill Walsh's first season. Much more imagination and aggression than before, but with enough gaps in talent and depth that the team will seem very ragtag -- on occasion utterly deplorable -- and their final W-L record won't be stellar, to say the least. If they successfully build talent through draft and FA acquisitions, and coach up their players into cohesive units, we should see a lot of improvement over the next 2-3 years.

The talent on this team is much better than the 79 team however there are many similiarities. Alex is like DeBerg with Colin in the wings you get the feeling that after 5 years we finally have a coach however this season will be a roller coaster ride where we play well one week and barley lose and the next week we look horrible. Harbaugh is smart he is going to use Smith up like Walsh did with DeBerg so Colin can watch and learn than mid next season Colin will take over. IMO like the early horrible Walsh teams we lost yet in a weird way was fun to watch you could see change and that Walsh was evolutionizing football. I think this team will be similiar accept no evolution. I expect us to probably win 5 maybe 6 games at most.

Alex Smith is a lot better athlete than DeBerg. You cant compare those two
Originally posted by ninertico:
Vernon will have his best year evar! Alex just needs enough time to spread it around. I also expect Alex to use his legs more this season.

This

Share 49ersWebzone