There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Scout.com has 49ers last in NFC West

Originally posted by andes14:
Kolb wills his team to win???? Huh??? He went 2-3 last year and 4 of those 5 games were against teams picking in the top-10 in the 2011 draft (Redskins, Niners, Titans, & Cowboys). How is that willing his team to win when he had a losing record despite playing almost exclusively s**tty teams? Of his 5 games, he was AWFUL in 2 of them and mediocre at BEST in another 2. He played well in ONE game last year (the Atlanta game).

And oh ya, despite his super easy schedule, he STILL finished with a significantly worse rating, TD/INT ratio, and yds/attempt than our very own Alex Smith (despite Kolb having a way better supporting cast and WAAAAAAY better offensive coaching...Reid/Mornhinweg and Shurmur for a while vs. Singletary/Raye )

Yet Kolb is better? WHY??

Yeah I don't understand where ppl get this kind of stuff..maybe out of the crack of their butts who knows. Kolb doesn't do anything amazing. It's like Winborn having that game of his lifetime in the opener against the Giants back at the dawn of our 8 year suckfest and then everyone started thinking he was the IT.
football outsiders have us winning the west
RAMS
CARDINALS
49ERS
SEAHAWKS

Andrew Luck...
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Originally posted by andes14:
Kolb wills his team to win???? Huh??? He went 2-3 last year and 4 of those 5 games were against teams picking in the top-10 in the 2011 draft (Redskins, Niners, Titans, & Cowboys). How is that willing his team to win when he had a losing record despite playing almost exclusively s**tty teams? Of his 5 games, he was AWFUL in 2 of them and mediocre at BEST in another 2. He played well in ONE game last year (the Atlanta game).

And oh ya, despite his super easy schedule, he STILL finished with a significantly worse rating, TD/INT ratio, and yds/attempt than our very own Alex Smith (despite Kolb having a way better supporting cast and WAAAAAAY better offensive coaching...Reid/Mornhinweg and Shurmur for a while vs. Singletary/Raye )

Yet Kolb is better? WHY??

Yeah I don't understand where ppl get this kind of stuff..maybe out of the crack of their butts who knows. Kolb doesn't do anything amazing. It's like Winborn having that game of his lifetime in the opener against the Giants back at the dawn of our 8 year suckfest and then everyone started thinking he was the IT.
He's still the best QB in the division. You guys do realize he's only had 19 starts and as much as you want to point out his flaws, why don't you check his learning curve and how much he has, for the most part, improved from year to year. He is now officially had a little over a full season of game time experience. He will improve no different than how some of you believe Alex will improve. If you don't think he will improve, then our season is shot also because there's no way Alex will improve either.

2007:
0 completions
0 attempts

2008:
17 completions
34 attempts
50%
144 yds
0 TD
4 INT

2009:
62 completions
96 attempts
64.6%
741 yds
4 TD
3 INT

2010:
115 completions
189 attempts
60.8%
1197 yds
7 TD
7 INT
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 1, 2011 at 10:15 AM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
He's still the best QB in the division. You guys do realize he's only had 19 starts and as much as you want to point out his flaws, why don't you check his learning curve and how much he has, for the most part, improved from year to year. He is now officially had a little over a full season of game time experience. He will improve no different than how some of you believe Alex will improve. If you don't think he will improve, then our season is shot also because there's no way Alex will improve either.

2007:
0 completions
0 attempts

2008:
17 completions
34 attempts
50%
144 yds
0 TD
4 INT

2009:
62 completions
96 attempts
64.6%
741 yds
4 TD
3 INT

2010:
115 completions
189 attempts
60.8%
1197 yds
7 TD
7 INT

Umm... he got worse in 2010, not better.
I think we can win the West. When I look at our games from last year, I see a team that beat itself, not one that was being handily beaten by our opponents (though that did happen on occasion). Don't forget that we won 6 games despite having probably the most inept coaching staff in the history of the league. And of the ten games we lost, FOUR were by three points or less. Think about it, that's literally just a bounced ball that didn't go our way. Or an idiotic drive set up by Sing when all we needed was a first down to run out the clock (which happened more than once), or Nate just holding on to the freaking ball after an INT and we're division champs.

I'm convinced that good, competent coaching alone will win us more games this year. And in the West, it doesn't take much win the division.

We can do it.
[ Edited by baltien on Sep 1, 2011 at 10:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Wodwo:

2007:
0 completions
0 attempts

2008:
17 completions
34 attempts
50%
144 yds
0 TD
4 INT

2009:
62 completions
96 attempts
64.6%
741 yds
4 TD
3 INT

2010:
115 completions
189 attempts
60.8%
1197 yds
7 TD
7 INT

The offense was geared to support Vick's strengths along with a left handed QB. Much different than coming in to back up McNabb. He still played well and he only has 19 starts. He's got much more upside than Alex Smith and is already ahead of Bradford. Kolb is the best QB in this division. He's had the best pedigre. He has solid offensive talent around him in ARI. I don't get how some think he's not going to improve. He would have been Andy Reid's starter if Vick didn't come along.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
The offense was geared to support Vick's strengths along with a left handed QB. Much different than coming in to back up McNabb. He still played well and he only has 19 starts. He's got much more upside than Alex Smith and is already ahead of Bradford. Kolb is the best QB in this division. He's had the best pedigre. He has solid offensive talent around him in ARI. I don't get how some think he's not going to improve. He would have been Andy Reid's starter if Vick didn't come along.

Hey, you have a right to your opinion. I just thought I'd point out that the crux of your argument had a major flaw.

If you want to make excuses for the guy, that's fine. He was still worse in 2010 than 2009.

Hey, you have a right to your opinion. I just thought I'd point out that the crux of your argument had a major flaw.

If you want to make excuses for the guy, that's fine. He was still worse in 2010 than 2009.
There was no crux. I said "for the most part, he improved". He has shown more than any QB in this division.

Do you like him as much as JTO? Kolb only has the advantage of spending time under Reid, he has shown nothing at all to say he is better than any qb starting in the NFL. As a matter of fact, with all AZ gave up for him, he had better be the best qb in football, or some front office other than ours is going to look foolish.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Sep 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM ]

2007:
0 completions
0 attempts

2008:
17 completions
34 attempts
50%
144 yds
0 TD
4 INT

2009:
62 completions
96 attempts
64.6%
741 yds
4 TD
3 INT

2010:
115 completions
189 attempts
60.8%
1197 yds
7 TD
7 INT

LOL!! Joe? Really? It's like saying the 49ers offense struggled because Steve Young threw left-handed. Sure there was fall-off from Montana, but Young didn't throw a bucket-load of picks and had the same QB rating as the bottom-tier QBs in the league. If there are no excuses for Smith, there are no excuses for Kolb on a better team with infinitely better coaching.
  • mod
  • Veteran

There was no crux. I said "for the most part, he improved". He has shown more than any QB in this division.
How do you know that he "for the most part...improved" if the stats dont show it? lol
[ Edited by modninerfan on Sep 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM ]

Kevin Kolb was the opening day starter last year. Went out in game 1 with a concussion and then Vick took over. Offense was geared to Kolb.
crazy how we have all this talent but some ppl say we go 2-14 smh i guess its because of the coaching change and the short offseason

You are neglecting the fact that he had a great supporting cast and coaching. Case in point, back in the niners heyday they had Bono and Grbac, they did well in the niners system (some even thought the niners should have kept Montana and Bono be the successor and trade Young), but they went else where and never lived up to their billing.Not saying Smith would have thrived with the eagles, just that Kolb is not all he is craked up to be. You will see-cards fans may be happy now, how will they be at seasons end?