There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can you see a difference? Harbaugh...

Although the first preseason game was a bit scary with the poor performance, the fact that the team came back improved the following week was a huge encouragement. I'm not saying it's all smooth sailing from here, but compared to the last few coaching regimes, Harbaugh and staff corrected past mistakes or showed improvement from one week to the next. I've been saying for a few years now that all I wanted to see was a little improvement each week, and each year the team seemed to stagnate in the same errors for weeks on end. Already, I think Harbaugh and staff are getting more from our players and the rookies.

Finally, we haven't seen much of a passing game yet, but the running game is much more diverse! I pray this keeps up. I am encouraged.

What other differences do you already see with Harbaugh as HC?
runs to the outside
  • fan49
  • Veteran
alex checking receivers, moving in pocket to create space, and placing the ball better... thats harbaugh.
The biggest difference I saw, other than your well made point about the specific improvement where it was needed one week to the next, was in the play of Alex Smith and the involvement of talented players. Even with the "vanilla" set we were doing dynamic things with the football. I saw Walker lined up in the backfield on many plays and both split wide and lead block. Walker almost never lead blocked on a run before despite his ability. He actually played fullback, or Hback if you will, last night and was used in helpful ways. Case in point was the Alex smith pick. If Alex actually recognizes the zone blitz then Walker was wide open right in front of him. This was a scary reminder of the "same old smith" which still lurks to bring disaster to the season. However I like that Smith was smooth in his drops, his feet were linked to his reads, and he delivered the ball with confidence and accuracy every time. Very few bad throws and NO "HUH?" moments. This is the first time Smith looked like he was in a true WCO and he was drafted as a WCO player. I also liked that we don't seem "desperate" to win preseason games. In years past it seemed like Sing and nolan were focused on developing a winning attitude but not taking care of the preparation that leads to winning. I also like that success seems more designed than through individual effort now.
And we haven't seen nothing yet in terms of the offense. I think having Singletary was a perfect setup for us. It's like a weighlifter loading up on calories to gain that size and then once he gets that size, to chizel down and fine-tune the finished product. Singletary helped us get that size, heart, and meaty mentality. Harbaugh helps us use that to our advantage with a little chizeling down and better techinique.
Originally posted by fan49:
alex checking receivers, moving in pocket to create space, and placing the ball better... thats harbaugh.

This is one thing that I just dont understand. Yes I know Harbaugh was a QB. But can you honestly sit there and tell me that all of our QBs coaches and offensive coordinators never told ALex to do this in the past? Really? Harbaugh is the first coach to try to teach him that? Really? I cant buy that.

Its only preseason so its hard to really see the difference, but Harbaugh appears to have more organization and control out there. Like I said, its only preseason, but you dont see the confusion with getting plays in, wasted timeouts to prevent delay of games, indecisiveness, and other things related to organization and control. In that regard, there has been a clear difference.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Aug 21, 2011 at 1:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
And we haven't seen nothing yet in terms of the offense. I think having Singletary was a perfect setup for us. It's like a weighlifter loading up on calories to gain that size and then once he gets that size, to chizel down and fine-tune the finished product. Singletary helped us get that size, heart, and meaty mentality. Harbaugh helps us use that to our advantage with a little chizeling down and better techinique.

I see what you are saying but, disagree with the heart comment. Singletary made guys play too cautious. They basically became scared of messing up and it screwed their confidence/courage/heart.
The only difference I saw was that the Raiders are complete trash when compared to the Saints.
  • MILFS
  • Veteran
The 49ers look like a team playing under good coaching.
Originally posted by VA49er:
The biggest difference I saw, other than your well made point about the specific improvement where it was needed one week to the next, was in the play of Alex Smith and the involvement of talented players. Even with the "vanilla" set we were doing dynamic things with the football. I saw Walker lined up in the backfield on many plays and both split wide and lead block. Walker almost never lead blocked on a run before despite his ability. He actually played fullback, or Hback if you will, last night and was used in helpful ways. Case in point was the Alex smith pick. If Alex actually recognizes the zone blitz then Walker was wide open right in front of him. This was a scary reminder of the "same old smith" which still lurks to bring disaster to the season. However I like that Smith was smooth in his drops, his feet were linked to his reads, and he delivered the ball with confidence and accuracy every time. Very few bad throws and NO "HUH?" moments. This is the first time Smith looked like he was in a true WCO and he was drafted as a WCO player. I also liked that we don't seem "desperate" to win preseason games. In years past it seemed like Sing and nolan were focused on developing a winning attitude but not taking care of the preparation that leads to winning. I also like that success seems more designed than through individual effort now.

Ummm....no. This was typical Smith play from last night. Having a 66 QB rating against the lowly Raiders is nothing to brag about. Alex has shown from time to time again that he is nothing but inconsistent in this league. I guess he looked like Montana (compared to how he played against the Saints) to some of you, and its all good that you guys are getting your jollies off his performance. But 6 years worth of bad play tells me that there's nothing different about Alex.......and we're in for another looooong seasons of "but its his 8 OC in 8 years", "he's only 28 years old", "his receivers cant catch", "his line cant block", "its Harbaughs fault", etc.

Pathetic.........
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by fan49:

This is one thing that I just dont understand. Yes I know Harbaugh was a QB. But can you honestly sit there and tell me that all of our QBs coaches and offensive coordinators never told ALex to do this in the past? Really? Harbaugh is the first coach to try to teach him that? Really? I cant buy that.

Perhaps it is because you don't want to admit it.

This is the first year since Erickson that the 49ers have had a former QB teaching the QBs...but then we have been through all that dozens of times here already. I'll not go there again.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Its only preseason so its hard to really see the difference, but Harbaugh appears to have more organization and control out there. Like I said, its only preseason, but you dont see the confusion with getting plays in, wasted timeouts to prevent delay of games, indecisiveness, and other things related to organization and control. In that regard, there has been a clear difference.

Not all of them no. But with all of the turnover +the focus on O I think there has not been the focus and talent to coach up our QBs. Nolan wanted to play it safe and McCarthy bailed after a season then Turner bailed. Those guys shared a QB coach who we found out sucked royally. Then Martz came in and I think was significantly hamstrung in his ability to install a dynamic offense and develop the QBs and I do agree with others who think that the focus was on "not screwing up" instead of succeeding. It is also clear to my eye that Alex played better from a footwork and progressive read standpoint than we have seen in years past. This could be an abarition but it is hopeful. More than the coaching I think the confidence and trust from Harbaugh will help and were never there before. Didn't matter who the QB was the HC would pull the plug on everyone and undermine it all every time.
Harbaugh learned from his loss. Singletary never really did.
Originally posted by MILFS:
The 49ers look like a team playing under good coaching.
This
From the little one can gather in comparing this season to the one previous, there seems to be a deliberate sense to the actions and plays of the offense. The level of confusion within the team that an average person could detect from a television screen has abated. An improved appearance of harmony and awareness pervades. New coaches and players definitely seem to have added luster to this team.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home