LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 189 users in the forums

Can you see a difference? Harbaugh...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Good variety in play calling
Originally posted by mfe8092:
Ummm....no. This was typical Smith play from last night. Having a 66 QB rating against the lowly Raiders is nothing to brag about. Alex has shown from time to time again that he is nothing but inconsistent in this league. I guess he looked like Montana (compared to how he played against the Saints) to some of you, and its all good that you guys are getting your jollies off his performance. But 6 years worth of bad play tells me that there's nothing different about Alex.......and we're in for another looooong seasons of "but its his 8 OC in 8 years", "he's only 28 years old", "his receivers cant catch", "his line cant block", "its Harbaughs fault", etc.

Pathetic.........
I find your lack of vision disturbing.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Ummm....no. This was typical Smith play from last night. Having a 66 QB rating against the lowly Raiders is nothing to brag about. Alex has shown from time to time again that he is nothing but inconsistent in this league. I guess he looked like Montana (compared to how he played against the Saints) to some of you, and its all good that you guys are getting your jollies off his performance. But 6 years worth of bad play tells me that there's nothing different about Alex.......and we're in for another looooong seasons of "but its his 8 OC in 8 years", "he's only 28 years old", "his receivers cant catch", "his line cant block", "its Harbaughs fault", etc.

Pathetic.........
I find your lack of vision disturbing.

Lack of watching the game evidently.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Harbaugh learned from his loss. Singletary never really did.

So true.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VA49er:
The biggest difference I saw, other than your well made point about the specific improvement where it was needed one week to the next, was in the play of Alex Smith and the involvement of talented players. Even with the "vanilla" set we were doing dynamic things with the football. I saw Walker lined up in the backfield on many plays and both split wide and lead block. Walker almost never lead blocked on a run before despite his ability. He actually played fullback, or Hback if you will, last night and was used in helpful ways. Case in point was the Alex smith pick. If Alex actually recognizes the zone blitz then Walker was wide open right in front of him. This was a scary reminder of the "same old smith" which still lurks to bring disaster to the season. However I like that Smith was smooth in his drops, his feet were linked to his reads, and he delivered the ball with confidence and accuracy every time. Very few bad throws and NO "HUH?" moments. This is the first time Smith looked like he was in a true WCO and he was drafted as a WCO player. I also liked that we don't seem "desperate" to win preseason games. In years past it seemed like Sing and nolan were focused on developing a winning attitude but not taking care of the preparation that leads to winning. I also like that success seems more designed than through individual effort now.

Pathetic.........

lmao. he should have been what 11-13... nicely placed passes dropped. your hilarious
Originally posted by fan49:
The biggest difference I saw, other than your well made point about the specific improvement where it was needed one week to the next, was in the play of Alex Smith and the involvement of talented players. Even with the "vanilla" set we were doing dynamic things with the football. I saw Walker lined up in the backfield on many plays and both split wide and lead block. Walker almost never lead blocked on a run before despite his ability. He actually played fullback, or Hback if you will, last night and was used in helpful ways. Case in point was the Alex smith pick. If Alex actually recognizes the zone blitz then Walker was wide open right in front of him. This was a scary reminder of the "same old smith" which still lurks to bring disaster to the season. However I like that Smith was smooth in his drops, his feet were linked to his reads, and he delivered the ball with confidence and accuracy every time. Very few bad throws and NO "HUH?" moments. This is the first time Smith looked like he was in a true WCO and he was drafted as a WCO player. I also liked that we don't seem "desperate" to win preseason games. In years past it seemed like Sing and nolan were focused on developing a winning attitude but not taking care of the preparation that leads to winning. I also like that success seems more designed than through individual effort now.

Pathetic.........

lmao. he should have been what 11-13... nicely placed passes dropped. your hilarious

Yep.......Alex fans have been tootin' the "shoulda coulda woulda" horn ever since he was drafted. Im sure you guys have a great excuse for that INT he threw....let me guess, Morgan ran the wrong route....or one of his o-linemen blocked his vision on purpose so that he couldnt see his receivers.

I get it.......you guys want him to succeed. But there's nothing different here than in years past. Here, take a look at last year's preseason results:

Alex Smith

Week 1: Colts - 3/9 37 yards 1 INT
Weeks 2: Vikings - 9/13 88 yards

Hmmmm.........seems eerily similar to this year's stats, no ? Except this time you guys are CONVINCED that THIS is it........that Alex has finally arrived....that Harbaugh was the one missing piece he needed to become the allstar he was always meant to be. Kind of how you guys were convinced that Alex would arrive when ALL of his previous coaches came into Ninerland.

Yeah.........good luck with that
Yep.......Alex fans have been tootin' the "shoulda coulda woulda" horn ever since he was drafted. Im sure you guys have a great excuse for that INT he threw....let me guess, Morgan ran the wrong route....or one of his o-linemen blocked his vision on purpose so that he couldnt see his receivers.

I get it.......you guys want him to succeed. But there's nothing different here than in years past. Here, take a look at last year's preseason results:

Alex Smith

Hmmmm.........seems eerily similar to this year's stats, no ? Except this time you guys are CONVINCED that THIS is it........that Alex has finally arrived....that Harbaugh was the one missing piece he needed to become the allstar he was always meant to be. Kind of how you guys were convinced that Alex would arrive when ALL of his previous coaches came into Ninerland.

Did you watch the game? It was Vernon that pass was intended for. Were you one of the drunks fighting with the raider fans in the stands,lol?
And............. another Alex Smith debate thread

If you couldn't notice the difference in the offense compared to last season than you are blind, or really don't know what you're talking about. The 49ers consistently used zone blocking schemes that we would have never used during the Sing regime, which enabled the RB's to have more options instead of just, "run here." The TE's were used in different formations, as previously mentioned and there were more timing routes used. This is just a vanilla version of the offense and I don't think applauding or criticizing it has any way won't be worthwhile until halfway through the season. At that point the team will probably know what they do well, and what they don't. I don't think they looked "great." They didn't really turn it on until the second half and all that tells me is that guys who won't make the final roster on the 49ers are better than the guys who won't make the final roster on the Raiders.
Originally posted by Joecool:
And we haven't seen nothing yet in terms of the offense. I think having Singletary was a perfect setup for us. It's like a weighlifter loading up on calories to gain that size and then once he gets that size, to chizel down and fine-tune the finished product. Singletary helped us get that size, heart, and meaty mentality. Harbaugh helps us use that to our advantage with a little chizeling down and better techinique.

well put.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Harbaugh learned from his loss. Singletary never really did.

So true.
did Singletary ever get around to look at the film? makes me wander.

Originally posted by MILFS:
The 49ers look like a team playing under good coaching.
Agree
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
They have a guy who knows how to be a head coach.

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:

Pathetic.........

Alex Smith

i easily saw 3 passes in the hands of players, that some how bounced off there hands not to mention right in there numbers. and the pass to edwards.... manning couldnt have thrown it better. right over the cb's shoulder, right into his hand. it is preseason but alex WAS different. pooise in the pocket, checked recievers, and well thrown passes. he did still make his one mistake. I dont remember an overthrow either. could be wrong...

PS im sure u know more than harbaugh. and i dont care what your opinion is, i will root for whoever is throwin the ball for this team. you can sit on your coach and drink yourself to sleep, yellin at tv, gettin mad that alex is the qb . every sunday I will be rooting for my 9ners.
[ Edited by fan49 on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:33 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I can just tell from this game to any game last year the play-calling is 10x better.

Pathetic.........

If Jim Harbaugh will be the guy to let Alex save his own career is yet to be seen. I was asked what I saw that was different. I pointed out several things that were different and I pointed out several things other than Alex Smith. I defend my Smith comment too. I didn't say OOO!! Alex Smith is the man now. I just said that he was dropping back more smoothly and making his throws with confidence and that his footwork was good and that his reads were tied to his feet. To those of us that enjoy the WCO this should be a welcome sign. It shows a dynamic shift in the system back to a true WCO which is very different than what we have run here for years now. There was indeed an absolute difference in the passing offense and that was expressed in the reads and execution of the throw being tied to Smith's footwork. It's a question of coaching and execution more than a study in the progression of Alex Smith. The two obviously are not exclusive. The poor read on the interception was a dissapointment and reminder of why you and many of us have been frustrated with Smith for 6 seasons now. Which I clearly referenced in my comment that the "'same old smith' which lurks to bring disaster to the season." Hopefully there will be more good from this switch than bad. Also for full disclosure, while I agree that it isn't likely that Alex Smith will "rise from the ashes" thanks to Saint Harbaugh I do think that the change in offense will suit his and eventually Colin K's talents much better than what we have seen in the past and that the system is a better offense. Back to Alex Smith's interception. The design of the play SHOULD have let him complete a pass to Delanie Walker despite excellent zone blitzing on the part of the raiders and Walker was his next read after Vernon on that play.
Share 49ersWebzone