LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 335 users in the forums

Demarcus Dobbs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • flow
  • Veteran
I like that this regime seems to value merit over draft status.

Case in point: 2011 undrafted rookie Demarcus Dobbs over 2010 second-rounder Taylor Mays.
Originally posted by flow:

Case in point: 2011 undrafted rookie Demarcus Dobbs over 2010 second-rounder Taylor Mays.

How can we explain Colin Jones then? I didn't see him do much besides down a punt and be the first guy to miss a tackle on each kick. I think it matters WHO the coch was for the draft pick. I like Harbaugh, but it doesn't seem like he's NOT proud.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
How can we explain Colin Jones then? I didn't see him do much besides down a punt and be the first guy to miss a tackle on each kick. I think it matters WHO the coch was for the draft pick. I like Harbaugh, but it doesn't seem like he's NOT proud.

Harbaugh/Baalke cut Ronald Johnson and Curtis Holcomb, two guys they drafted this year.

Jones was definitely a Seely pick.

Harbaugh/Baalke cut Ronald Johnson and Curtis Holcomb, two guys they drafted this year.

Holcomb is on IR, and ROJO will be on the PS, at least initially.
  • flow
  • Veteran

So you proved my point: Ronald Johnson isn't on the 53-man roster.

With Nolan/McCloughan/Singletary, how many years did we have to wait for an under-performing high-round player to be sent packing? This regime jettisoned Mays after one year (which shows a willingness to cut losses) and allowed two hard-working undrafted rookies to make the team (which shows they value performance).
How many Stanford rookies made the team? It seemed most of them (if not all) were on the cut list. Now it will be interesting to see who they put on the practice squad. Many of the cuts may be attractive to other teams.

With Nolan/McCloughan/Singletary, how many years did we have to wait for an under-performing high-round player to be sent packing? This regime jettisoned Mays after one year (which shows a willingness to cut losses) and allowed two hard-working undrafted rookies to make the team (which shows they value performance).

We holding church in here. Amen, brotha!
Originally posted by cwilson830:

This. Seeley got two picks (Jones and Castonzo). Shows how much power and influence he has on this staff.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

We holding church in here. Amen, brotha!

Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by cwilson830:

This. Seeley got two picks (Jones and Castonzo). Shows how much power and influence he has on this staff.

Agree. Good to see
I am excited that him and Ian Williams made the roster with some good coaching from Jim Tomsula and Fangio these guys can become real assets for us in the future. Williams is a big bodied guy who can excell in the 3-4 in the future and Dobbs was exciting to watch in the preseason he has a motor that never stops.
Originally posted by lonneybyrd:
I am excited that him and Ian Williams made the roster with some good coaching from Jim Tomsula and Fangio these guys can become real assets for us in the future. Williams is a big bodied guy who can excell in the 3-4 in the future and Dobbs was exciting to watch in the preseason he has a motor that never stops.

Hopefully they both can develop into legit backups (maybe even some spot starting duty). That will increase their value further down the road for either a trade or not having to draft a D-lineman early next year.

Dobbs has unique push, maybe we can develop him into Justin Smith's replacement (still several years away).

Not sure how I proved your point. RoJo did get cut, but Colin Jones was just as bad as him in the preseason games (running fast doesn't prove much if all that gets you is the first missed tackle on a punt). The difference is that Harbaugh raved about Jones' speed and tough mentality right after the draft. Even Barrows referred to Jones as Harbaugh pick. Never heard Harbaugh speak of RoJo the same way, not even right after the draft. It would seem that Harbaugh had more invested in Jones, regardless of how crappy his play was. It's easy to cut loose someone else's mistake (Mays); it's harder to see the dross on your own silver (Jones). I don't claim to know what goes on in the meetings or practices, but it seems obvious from the four games that Jones was kept for what they think/hope he can do, not what his game tape proved he can do.

That said, I have much more confidence in this staff than I did the last, and it is clear that Harbaugh has no patience for players that do not fit his vision, which has to be a good thing.
  • dj43

Not sure how I proved your point. RoJo did get cut, but Colin Jones was just as bad as him in the preseason games (running fast doesn't prove much if all that gets you is the first missed tackle on a punt). The difference is that Harbaugh raved about Jones' speed and tough mentality right after the draft. Even Barrows referred to Jones as Harbaugh pick. Never heard Harbaugh speak of RoJo the same way, not even right after the draft. It would seem that Harbaugh had more invested in Jones, regardless of how crappy his play was. It's easy to cut loose someone else's mistake (Mays); it's harder to see the dross on your own silver (Jones). I don't claim to know what goes on in the meetings or practices, but it seems obvious from the four games that Jones was kept for what they think/hope he can do, not what his game tape proved he can do.

That said, I have much more confidence in this staff than I did the last, and it is clear that Harbaugh has no patience for players that do not fit his vision, which has to be a good thing.

Though Jones missed a tackle in the middle of the big screen, it seemed clear that he had more tools to be a ST guy than Johnson had to be a WR.

One of the grossly overlooked weaknesses of this team has been a lack of overall team speed. That has been hidden by Willis and VD but as a team, the 49ers have not been able to run with the better teams in the league. Consequently, it makes more sense to keep an ST guy with great speed but still unestablished skills than a WR with marginal speed and unestablished skills.
Share 49ersWebzone