LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 399 users in the forums

I still dont understand the Crabtree hate ....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's not so much hate towards him, it's more like frustration with his lack of effort. He has the skills to be a great receiver in this league but blows it all away with his lack of effort and preparation. He's been in the league for 3 years and has yet to play a preseason game.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Lack of production? His numbers went up from his rookie season despite the chaos at QB for last year. If Crabtree had a QB the quality of T.Green,Warner or even Bulger his numbers would be better. The question on his work ethic are stupid rumors that cant be proved. Theres plenty to thats good to talk about Crabtree too. He tore up Philly, his critical TD over Oakland, the games vs the Rams. How he showed up in 09 and looked great should also show he has a work ethic. There are lots of good things to talk about if you want to. Most dont want to after he doubted Smith being the starter. Until then there wasnt much hate on Crabtree. Shocking huh

His numbers per game didn't go up. In fact the average per game went down from 56 to 46 yards.
Originally posted by backontop:
It's not so much hate towards him, it's more like frustration with his lack of effort. He has the skills to be a great receiver in this league but blows it all away with his lack of effort and preparation. He's been in the league for 3 years and has yet to play a preseason game.

Thats BS. I hate it when peeps say stuff like this.

Season 1: Was in a holdout.
Season 2: Injured Neck.
Season 3: Injured Foot.

None of those things have anything to do with a lack of effort.

In fact, he GOT hurt this year participating in a NON-mandatory practice with his teammates during a Lockout. Had he gotten SERIOUSLY injured, the Niners could have RELEASED him without an injury waiver. He was takig a risk to participate and be with his teammates.

I realize that the truth isn't as fun as the perception, but the hate on Crabtree drives me nuts.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Lack of production? His numbers went up from his rookie season despite the chaos at QB for last year. If Crabtree had a QB the quality of T.Green,Warner or even Bulger his numbers would be better. The question on his work ethic are stupid rumors that cant be proved. Theres plenty to thats good to talk about Crabtree too. He tore up Philly, his critical TD over Oakland, the games vs the Rams. How he showed up in 09 and looked great should also show he has a work ethic. There are lots of good things to talk about if you want to. Most dont want to after he doubted Smith being the starter. Until then there wasnt much hate on Crabtree. Shocking huh

His numbers per game didn't go up. In fact the average per game went down from 56 to 46 yards.

You're right. He was the best WR on the field, but get rid of the bum.

Sigh.
Everytime I see a big play from the niners I always see crabtree busting his ass downfield to block for his teammates. He is always smiling on the field. I don't care that he doesn't talk with the media. He keeps to himself which is fine.

You can't fake injuries in the NFL with the money these teams have invested in these players you better believe they do thorough checks when a player has an injury.

Crabtree has done nothing wrong to get the hate he gets on this board
[ Edited by valrod33 on Aug 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM ]
Crabtree is much like Bruce. Just quietly comes in and out and does not draw attention to himself.. People come up with these baseless assumptions that he's not a team guy just because there aren't other players flying off the handle to talk about him. So, what? If you're not talked about constantly you're suddenly not a team player and have no work ethic? BS. Straight up horse crap. The media is much more focused on the HEALTHY players right now.

I mean, come the EFF on, people. What's there to write?

Media: "How's Crabtree?"
Media: "Oh, still hurt. Guess there's not much to report on that."

There's much more in stories about the tumultuous career of Alex, Braylon's "new beginning" in San Fran, the OL battles, our new coaches, new system, our one-of-a-kind TE, Frank Gore's contract, our rookies.. And a NUMBER of other stories that are far more interesting than freaking reporting on Crabtree right now or interviewing players about him. Seriously, Niner Talk is just asinine sometimes. No common sense. A bunch of senseless knee-jerk reactions.

This isn't to defend Crabtree even, it's about fans doing this in regard to ANY given player. Stop making baseless assumptions. Crabtree may be great this year, or he may just make marginal improvements, but no matter what his production, I think it's silly to say these things like "He's not a team player" or "He has a poor work ethic" or "He doesn't want to be here." with absolutely no legitimate hard evidence to show this. If anything, the little reports that there have been on Crabtree during his time being injured actually showed he HAS been working hard not just in the classroom but doing what he can on the field too.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Everytime I see a big play from the niners I always see crabtree busting his ass downfield to block for his teammates. He is always smiling on the field. I don't care that he doesn't talk with the media. He keeps to himself which is fine.

You can't fake injuries in the NFL with the money these teams have invested in these players you better beloved they do thorough checks when a player has an injury.

YES.

He is socially awkward. He doesn't communicate well. He seems a bit aloof.

He has also never been in trouble with the law, he is always busting his a$$ downfield blocking, and he is ALWAYS in shape...even when he was holding out.

Some peeps here have essentially hated him since the holdout and would like nothing better than to see him fail. Get over it.
Dude's just shy. Hell, I'm shy. I wouldn't wanna talk to the media either.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Sigh.

I (and many others) did not say that the 49ers need to get rid of the guy. He'd not be worth much if traded today given the uncertainty created by the injury anyway - he still doesn't run yet, putting his starting status on week 1 very iffy.

In fact, he GOT hurt this year participating in a NON-mandatory practice with his teammates during a Lockout. Had he gotten SERIOUSLY injured, the Niners could have RELEASED him without an injury waiver. He was takig a risk to participate and be with his teammates.

I realize that the truth isn't as fun as the perception, but the hate on Crabtree drives me nuts.

1. He chose to hold out
2. Magically he was better once the season started
3. magical injury once training camp was due to start.

Sigh.

People fail to note the freaking fact that he had three different QB's throwing to him last season too, and despite that, tripled his TD numbers in his 2nd season.

Originally posted by valrod33:

You can't fake injuries in the NFL with the money these teams have invested in these players you better believe they do thorough checks when a player has an injury.

Agreed, 100%.

1. He chose to hold out
2. Magically he was better once the season started
3. magical injury once training camp was due to start.

Aside from holding out, this is a massive example of people's tainted perceptions.

2. He had a freaking neck injury! You don't want to mess with those, and there is especially less reason to want to risk anything in meaningless pre-season games that don't count.

3. The foot issues were already reported WAY before training camp, and the severity just happened to be worse than they thought. Team doctors obviously VERIFIED the severity to the point where he had to be put in a boot and not allowed the practice. SERIOUSLY, come ON, folks...

These past two pre-seasons have been nothing more than bad luck for Crabtree.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 24, 2011 at 10:15 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
People fail to note the freaking fact that he had three different QB's throwing to him last season too, and despite that, tripled his TD numbers in his 2nd season.

Agreed, 100%.

Aside from holding out, this is a massive example of people's tainted perceptions.

2. He had a freaking neck injury! You don't want to mess with those, and there is especially less reason to want to risk anything in meaningless pre-season games that don't count.

3. The foot issues were already reported WAY before training camp, and the severity just happened to be worse than they thought. Team doctors obviously VERIFIED the severity to the point where he had to be put in a boot and not allowed the practice. SERIOUSLY, come ON, folks...

You call it tainted perception, but the fans want to see effort. His lack of effort effected his performance last season. Especially in the beginning of the season with all of the dropped and tipped passes. Crabtree isn't exactly making an effort to build chemistry with his QB's the last few seasons.
the old cliche is that it takes WRs 3 years to really acclimate to the NFL.

This is Year 3 for Crabtree.

We should have the best offense we've had in years, and the one most suited for our players.

We have another #1-type receiver with experience and a lot to prove.

Crabtree has a lot to prove.

...I think Crabtree is going to have the kind of year that makes the "hate" evaporate pretty quickly.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Agreed, 100%.

You call it tainted perception, but the fans want to see effort. His lack of effort effected his performance last season. Especially in the beginning of the season with all of the dropped and tipped passes. Crabtree isn't exactly making an effort to build chemistry with his QB's the last few seasons.

I think what fans are calling a "lack of effort" was more a combination of "young player mistakes" and undeveloped chemistry than anything else, with the latter being an issue due to the lost time in TC because of the injury. If there's any injury you really want to be cautious about, a neck injury is just that. I really don't believe he has ever shown a lack of effort. Just what you might call "growing pains" of a young, developing player -- a guy who came out of school as a sophomore at that.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 24, 2011 at 10:30 PM ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:
the old cliche is that it takes WRs 3 years to really acclimate to the NFL.

This is Year 3 for Crabtree.

We should have the best offense we've had in years, and the one most suited for our players.

We have another #1-type receiver with experience and a lot to prove.

Crabtree has a lot to prove.

...I think Crabtree is going to have the kind of year that makes the "hate" evaporate pretty quickly.

One would hope because all his rookie year did was create disappointment due to elevated expectations that were not met.
Share 49ersWebzone