LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

Surprise cuts in 2011?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hate to say it, but R. Johnson was awful in the first game. He didn't get separation and even worse, when the ball was in the air, he didn't even fight for it. He's practice squad material.
Originally posted by strickac:
Hate to say it, but R. Johnson was awful in the first game. He didn't get separation and even worse, when the ball was in the air, he didn't even fight for it. He's practice squad material.

A few passes went thru his hands. The PS might not be a bad spot for him year 1. He definately didnt impress like Williams imo
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

A few passes went thru his hands. The PS might not be a bad spot for him year 1. He definately didnt impress like Williams imo

Also looked pretty slow. Small, slow and bad hands not a good combo for a WR.

How was he awful? yeah, he looked sorta slow, but he had a good punt return and the two passes that Kaep threw to him were WAY OFF.
Why is everyone thinking ginn will be cut? He's still the fastest guy on the team at wr, and from the reports i've read he's looking good this offseason and making catchs in the endzone from passes thrown from alex. HOLY CRAP!
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I would be surprised if we cut Goldson or Anthony Davis but not shocked.

Well, perhaps you should be. Cutting a starting tackle, a young first round draft pick before the new coaching squad could assess him and work on his development would be an unbelievably stupid thing to do.
Ronald Johnson isn't a surprise to get cut. He'll be a good candidate for the practice squad. On the other hand, I'd be surprised if Norris and Ginn are cut.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Alex Smith

Oh wait -- that's my hope -- not an actual answer to the thread title.

OK -- my answer is still Alex Smith.

On that day, I will do my best Martin Luther King, Jr. impression: "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

Good idea! Throw Kap out there with our O-Line...great! Then he will be bad for 5 more years...terrific.

McKillop, Mays, Norris, Ziegler.

None of those would be surprise, although I do expect the 49ers to try to trade Mays for a 6th round pick.
Originally posted by English:

Well, perhaps you should be. Cutting a starting tackle, a young first round draft pick before the new coaching squad could assess him and work on his development would be an unbelievably stupid thing to do.

i would not only be shocked, I would be horrified if we cut Davis. A second year tackle drafted in the 1st by the current GM being cut? That would signal some major, major problems with our team.

Goldson would also be a shocking cut. The dude walked in off the street into a starting position (no matter what the current depth chart says). The team obviously thinks he can play.

A "surprise cut" is a second or third string player who seemed to have a role on the team, and has been with the team for several years, or a recent draft pick who had yet to crack the starting lineup. Cutting starters and first round picks qualifies as shocking and alarming.
  • dj43
Originally posted by niner4life21:
I don't wanna see Johnson go

But I know Ginn will have the upper hand because of experience and return abilities. I know RoJo can return too, but he is nowhere close to Ginn. Williams is the one who will likely be competing with Johnson if we only keep 5. And as we've all seen and heard, Williams is doing very good. If he can stay healthy, he will be a solid weapon for this offense and return game too. It feels good to have so much competition at the WR position, because it pushes everyone to get better and it means we have an overflow of talent there. Still, I know Johnson won't make it to the PS if thats where we want to put him. There will def be some team who will snatch him and put him on their final roster IMO.
I wish the fact there is a lot of competition meant that there was a lot of quality. As it stands, there are just a bunch of guys who play WR, none of whom really stand out.

I know, Edwards has "all that potential" and so does Crabtree but until they show it on the field, it is like an old newspaper - good for the bottom of the birdcage. Morgan is a feel good story who wouldn't make the roster in Philly or GB or NO or half a dozen other good passing teams. Ginn is...well...Ginn. Miami, who is desperate for a passing game gave him away for a bag of chips. Then there is Johnson and Williams and Smith and Jones and blah, blah, blah.

I WISH we had the talent here that some seem to think but I have to see it first. Other than Vernon, I have little confidence in any of this group. Now let's see them prove me wrong.

• dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by English:

i would not only be shocked, I would be horrified if we cut Davis. A second year tackle drafted in the 1st by the current GM being cut? That would signal some major, major problems with our team.

Goldson would also be a shocking cut. The dude walked in off the street into a starting position (no matter what the current depth chart says). The team obviously thinks he can play.

A "surprise cut" is a second or third string player who seemed to have a role on the team, and has been with the team for several years, or a recent draft pick who had yet to crack the starting lineup. Cutting starters and first round picks qualifies as shocking and alarming.

I agree. Davis will NOT be cut nor will Goldson. Davis has too much ability to give up on him now. I am confident he will develop.

Goldson, OTOH, has a spot on the team, not because he is very good but because the secondary is one giant ?
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
I don't wanna see Johnson go

But I know Ginn will have the upper hand because of experience and return abilities. I know RoJo can return too, but he is nowhere close to Ginn. Williams is the one who will likely be competing with Johnson if we only keep 5. And as we've all seen and heard, Williams is doing very good. If he can stay healthy, he will be a solid weapon for this offense and return game too. It feels good to have so much competition at the WR position, because it pushes everyone to get better and it means we have an overflow of talent there. Still, I know Johnson won't make it to the PS if thats where we want to put him. There will def be some team who will snatch him and put him on their final roster IMO.
I wish the fact there is a lot of competition meant that there was a lot of quality. As it stands, there are just a bunch of guys who play WR, none of whom really stand out.

I know, Edwards has "all that potential" and so does Crabtree but until they show it on the field, it is like an old newspaper - good for the bottom of the birdcage. Morgan is a feel good story who wouldn't make the roster in Philly or GB or NO or half a dozen other good passing teams. Ginn is...well...Ginn. Miami, who is desperate for a passing game gave him away for a bag of chips. Then there is Johnson and Williams and Smith and Jones and blah, blah, blah.

I WISH we had the talent here that some seem to think but I have to see it first. Other than Vernon, I have little confidence in any of this group. Now let's see them prove me wrong.

I think that all of our receivers can perform well if they have a decent QB throwing them the ball.

Not saying that Smith isn't decent, but we don't know if he can be under Harbaugh. I am not looking for the receivers to prove me wrong, its Smith who needs to step his game up ALONG with the OL. Until then, we will never know what we have in these receivers.
cutting Davis isnt an option, they picked his option bonus up for the 2011-2014 seasons, his 2015 season is voidable.

He would be taking a negative cap hit if cut. Just not happening.
i don't see any surprising cuts happening this year. It looks as if Har-Baalke has their team set up how they want it.
It's ridiculous to even entertain the notion that Anthony Davis could get cut. This isn't Maybin we're talking about. He's still very young. Give him time, even if it is on the bench
[ Edited by tapuout27 on Aug 20, 2011 at 6:33 PM ]
I say we trade anthony Davis while he still have value, we have a lot of good O linemen that can fill his void
Share 49ersWebzone