Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 760 users in the forums

Surprise cuts in 2011?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9er2k:
2 muffed punts I think Johnson is out

And a perfectly thrown ball by Kaep dropped by him on third down. Ummm I don't know..
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by 9er2k:
2 muffed punts I think Johnson is out


And a perfectly thrown ball by Kaep dropped by him on third down. Ummm I don't know..

Put him on the PS
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Dixon is not getting cut..

I won't say it's impossible that Ginn goes, but it is EXTREMELY unlikely given that Alex likes to throw to him, and his 4.2 speed is an INCREDIBLY valuable asset in a number of ways.

Eric_Branch
#49ers OC Greg Roman said WR Ted Ginn has had "an incredibly good camp."

Hope we keep him - he did a great job returning punts last year.

Bingo. Ginn isn't going anywhere. He did an especially good job in limited action in the pre-season, making a tough catch on the sideline.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,137
I think that Anthony Dixon could be cut, and I do think that would quality as a surprise.

In fact, If I had voice and vote, I would argue that Dixon be cut. We need mauling bears, not dancing bears.

Kendal Hunter, the only bright spot on the team in the Houston preseason game, without a doubt has earned the back up spot.

The choice is between Xavier Oman and Anthony Dixon. I would choose Oman.

He runs north and south. He lacks speed, but a is a hard-nosed, fearless runner. He could end up being a solid goal-line back.
Originally posted by buck:
I think that Anthony Dixon could be cut, and I do think that would quality as a surprise.

In fact, If I had voice and vote, I would argue that Dixon be cut. We need mauling bears, not dancing bears.

Kendal Hunter, the only bright spot on the team in the Houston preseason game, without a doubt has earned the back up spot.

The choice is between Xavier Oman and Anthony Dixon. I would choose Oman.

He runs north and south. He lacks speed, but a is a hard-nosed, fearless runner. He could end up being a solid goal-line back.

I think Omon lacks elusiveness and doesn't have tremendous vision. He may be hard-nosed, but he just doesn't have much power, size, or blocking ability. Dixon should make the team pretty easily over Omon. He may not be fantastic when playing against star defenses, but he's a step above Omon, and was only a rookie last year. More upside for Dixon.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Dixon is not getting cut..

I won't say it's impossible that Ginn goes, but it is EXTREMELY unlikely given that Alex likes to throw to him, and his 4.2 speed is an INCREDIBLY valuable asset in a number of ways.

Eric_Branch
#49ers OC Greg Roman said WR Ted Ginn has had "an incredibly good camp."

Hope we keep him - he did a great job returning punts last year.

Bingo. Ginn isn't going anywhere. He did an especially good job in limited action in the pre-season, making a tough catch on the sideline.
They only thing that bothered me about that catch was that he made no attempt to tap his other foot down. That was second nature for me as a receiver even in H.S. 40+ years ago. Maybe as it's preseason he didn't want to risk injury but still don't think he is a good receiver.
Originally posted by Born49R:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Dixon is not getting cut..

I won't say it's impossible that Ginn goes, but it is EXTREMELY unlikely given that Alex likes to throw to him, and his 4.2 speed is an INCREDIBLY valuable asset in a number of ways.

Eric_Branch
#49ers OC Greg Roman said WR Ted Ginn has had "an incredibly good camp."

Hope we keep him - he did a great job returning punts last year.

Bingo. Ginn isn't going anywhere. He did an especially good job in limited action in the pre-season, making a tough catch on the sideline.
They only thing that bothered me about that catch was that he made no attempt to tap his other foot down. That was second nature for me as a receiver even in H.S. 40+ years ago. Maybe as it's preseason he didn't want to risk injury but still don't think he is a good receiver.


Exactly!

It's not a tough "catch" unless you drag your trailing leg. That's Ginns problem; is not an instinctive "football" player He's got measurables no doubt but, I agree, he's not a good receiver.

I don't know what to make of this coaching staff/FO. They say that they want "football" players, but the roster is populated by guys who have more measurables than instincts. I guess we'll just have to see how the final roster shakes out. That said, I'd be shocked to see Ginn cut: It would take a very confident coaching staff to do that. This staff is still trying to figure out what they know and what they don't. Right now they don't look good.
Originally posted by Born49R:
They only thing that bothered me about that catch was that he made no attempt to tap his other foot down. That was second nature for me as a receiver even in H.S. 40+ years ago. Maybe as it's preseason he didn't want to risk injury but still don't think he is a good receiver.


Noticed that as well and his trailing leg was way back, could have dragged it easily. Instead, he stepped a yard out of bounds making it obviously not a catch. Still would have been a difficult catch though.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,137
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by buck:
I think that Anthony Dixon could be cut, and I do think that would quality as a surprise.

In fact, If I had voice and vote, I would argue that Dixon be cut. We need mauling bears, not dancing bears.

Kendal Hunter, the only bright spot on the team in the Houston preseason game, without a doubt has earned the back up spot.

The choice is between Xavier Oman and Anthony Dixon. I would choose Oman.

He runs north and south. He lacks speed, but a is a hard-nosed, fearless runner. He could end up being a solid goal-line back.

I think Omon lacks elusiveness and doesn't have tremendous vision. He may be hard-nosed, but he just doesn't have much power, size, or blocking ability. Dixon should make the team pretty easily over Omon. He may not be fantastic when playing against star defenses, but he's a step above Omon, and was only a rookie last year. More upside for Dixon.

Maybe, you are right, but I am not sure. Dixon is bigger than Oman, but my sense is that Oman has more functional power than Dixon.
In college Dixon was successful using his quick feet to make plays, but it is not working for him in the pros.

Dixon needs to change his running style. At this point, I see Dixon as a liability and not an asset.

I would sit both Gore and Hunter for the last game. Give Dixon and Oman equal reps in the game.
Let Dixon prove he is better than Oman. If he can do that, then we keep Dixon and cut Oman.

edit
At the end of the post I put Barlow and not Oman. My mistake had us keeping Dixon and cutting Barlow--and he is no longer on the team.
Sorry.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 28, 2011 at 1:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
No way, that dude is way too slow. I would put money on the fact this guy wouldn't do crap against first string D.


Suprise cut of the year has to be Taylor Mays.
Omon consistently runs a 4.52-4.58 40. Dixon runs a 4.6-4.65. You know how many starting RB's in the NFL run 4.5's? LOTS.

In the 2009 HOF preseason game, Omon started and ran very well. Averaged at least 4 yds/carry if I remember correctly. No, he's not going to run away from everyone, but he's just as fast as a lot of starting RB's. However, Dixon is not.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by susweel:
Yah please cut Dixon dude doesnt run as big as his size. To much dancing for a big man.

Omon looks smaller than Dixon, but runs bigger.
Dixon just needs to hit some people hard and see what it feels like. Plow his 250lbs into some linebackers and see that it actually works in his favor.
Originally posted by buck:
Maybe, you are right, but I am not sure. Dixon is bigger than Oman, but my sense is that Oman has more functional power than Dixon.
In college Dixon was successful using his quick feet to make plays, but it is not working for him in the pros.

Dixon needs to change his running style. At this point, I see Dixon as a liability and not an asset.

I would sit both Gore and Hunter for the last game. Give Dixon and Oman equal reps in the game.
Let Dixon prove he is better than Oman. If he can do that, then we keep Dixon and cut Barlow.


I think it was a mistake for Dixon to gain weight. He tends to be an upright runner along the lines of the old 9ers FBs. Craig and Rathman weren't typical FB/HBs but were more upright runners and were used as regulars in both the running and passing game. Perhaps Dixon is more in that mold?
Originally posted by buck:
I think that Anthony Dixon could be cut, and I do think that would quality as a surprise.

In fact, If I had voice and vote, I would argue that Dixon be cut. We need mauling bears, not dancing bears.

Kendal Hunter, the only bright spot on the team in the Houston preseason game, without a doubt has earned the back up spot.

The choice is between Xavier Oman and Anthony Dixon. I would choose Oman.

He runs north and south. He lacks speed, but a is a hard-nosed, fearless runner. He could end up being a solid goal-line back.

Omon is clearly a better player than Dixon. Physically I don't think there's much difference either. Dixon I suspect will be cut.
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Omon is clearly a better player than Dixon. Physically I don't think there's much difference either. Dixon I suspect will be cut.

You sir, are wrong.
"clearly?" really? In two preseason game you clearly see that?
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Omon is clearly a better player than Dixon. Physically I don't think there's much difference either. Dixon I suspect will be cut.

lol
They don't have the balls to cut Dixon....
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone