LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 127 users in the forums

Do we have the worst QB situation in the NFL ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we have the worst QB situation in the NFL ?

I would say we are about 7-10 as far as worse. There are at least 6-8 teams with really big problems. Listen if Alex can play as good or better than year 2 we are average or better because of solid run game and decent defense. If not then Luck sweepstakes here we come.
This is clearly just another anti Alex thread which as we know goes nowhere fast. This thread is garbage.
Agreed... One thing I noticed is that our new Veteran Center was not playing in that
game, and once he gets himself settled on the play book, a lot of these problems will
go away... I'm not a fan of signing Josh McCown either... I think most of our problems
will work themselves out during preseason..
Let's see who may be in worse shape...

Starting with recently acquired free agents...
Vikings got McNabb
SEA got Jackson
ARI got Kolb
TEN got Hasselbeck

Rookies likely to start...
Newton in CAR
Gabbert in JAX
Dalton in CIN
Ponder in MIN

"I would rather have Alex than"...
Carson Palmer
Jason Campbell
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Chad Henne
Mark Sanchez (heard this a few times)
Colt McCoy
John Beck
Jay Cutler

This is based on what I can remember than from all the free agency threads about how well Alex should succeed under Harbaugh. I am not saying it matches, everyone's opinion, but the general consensus is that Alex is a better option than most of these QB's. That makes us better than CHI, WAS, CLE, NYJ, BUG, OAK, MIA, CIN, MIN, JAX, CAR, TEN, and SEA.

Answer to the question? We don't have the worst QB situation in the NFL. We are just below middle of the pack.
They never signed Daunte Culpepper.
wtf r u talking about, we signed 1 qb to be the third guy lol
  • dj43
The reality is that if one looks around the league it is hard to say that more than 12-15 teams are happy with their current situation. The rest of them could trade their guy for your guy and there would not be much change.
Josh will tear it up if he gets a shot! Mark my words dude is a gunslinger!
I forgot to add besides the fact that we never signed Daunte Culpepper is that the Niners had Alex Smith and 3 rookies. Signing a veteran as a backup who has actually starting in the NFL at least at some point, shouldn't be seen as they are ignoring the O-line and need to concentrate on that instead (which seems to be the premise here, unless I'm wrong).

They signed a 3rd maybe 2nd string QB when they needed one.
[ Edited by elhebrewhammer on Aug 17, 2011 at 5:57 PM ]
i don,t think there is anything wrong with Alex Smith,i think he will have a good year.

Seattle
Cinci
Miami
49ers

In that order
Originally posted by SJniner7:

"I would rather have Alex than"...
Carson Palmer
Jason Campbell
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Chad Henne
Mark Sanchez (heard this a few times)
Colt McCoy
John Beck
Jay Cutler

This is based on what I can remember than from all the free agency threads about how well Alex should succeed under Harbaugh. I am not saying it matches, everyone's opinion, but the general consensus is that Alex is a better option than most of these QB's. That makes us better than CHI, WAS, CLE, NYJ, BUG, OAK, MIA, CIN, MIN, JAX, CAR, TEN, and SEA.

Answer to the question? We don't have the worst QB situation in the NFL. We are just below middle of the pack.
Anyone who wants Alex over those guys are on crack.
whammer, we are going to need a lot more than a 3rd string qb to make any difference. This is purely and simply, the OL that can't block. Oh, one other thing. If JH settles down and looks at that game again, he will see there is no OL and I know he can coach the OL. He did in college, and he can here. Problem is, it will take him at least a season to correct all the bad things our OL has learned while here. That's why I would love to see dozens of other OLs who didn't make it elsewhere, hopefully some that JH knows something about, and let's see if he can get the OL off its duff...or out of its catatonic state, would maybe be more like it.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by goodthings19:
This is clearly just another anti Alex thread which as we know goes nowhere fast. This thread is garbage.

do we have the worst QB situation in the NFL?

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
whammer, we are going to need a lot more than a 3rd string qb to make any difference. This is purely and simply, the OL that can't block. Oh, one other thing. If JH settles down and looks at that game again, he will see there is no OL and I know he can coach the OL. He did in college, and he can here. Problem is, it will take him at least a season to correct all the bad things our OL has learned while here. That's why I would love to see dozens of other OLs who didn't make it elsewhere, hopefully some that JH knows something about, and let's see if he can get the OL off its duff...or out of its catatonic state, would maybe be more like it.

So you would like the Niners to go out and try out more OL. Point taken, but what does it have to do with this "Coach, coach, coach, coach....enough of the gathering of QBs already"

How are they "gathering QBs"??? They signed one 3rd string QB.

That was my point. As far as the O-line is concerned, there is certainly room for improvement, but I think this "If JH settles down and looks at that game again, he will see there is no OL and I know he can coach the OL." is being a bit melodramatic.
[ Edited by elhebrewhammer on Aug 17, 2011 at 6:30 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone