LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Do we have the worst QB situation in the NFL ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we have the worst QB situation in the NFL ?

Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by WildBill:
If we were to bring anybody in now-I would prefer we resign Barry Sims, because he is familiar with his linemates and did well replacing Staley the last two years despite his age.

They appear content to allow Boone to take that swing-tackle role... unless it turns out that Boone pushes Anthony Davis to that role for the time being. We also have the younger kids ( Hall/Person/Wiggins ) fighting for the 4th spot, and we still have the ever versatile Snyder if need be.
They will keep Snyder simply because they have no one else to b/u at center. While the niners have had success of moving guards to center, they were usually pro bowl caliber linemen (Cross, Sapolu) which Snyder isn't. Teams have also moved tackles to guards. Snyder is versitle, but as we saw last week and throughout his career-weak and can be pushed around. Hope the youngsters prove better. Either way, I say he is gone after this year and that the niners draft a center next year to groom-yes I know, the niners don't draft center only linemen.

Is Tony Wragge still on the team... I would have him sub first before I put Synder in there in the event of injury. I think they are getting Snyder up to speed at center so he would be a more versatile backup at Guard, Center, and ahem.. Tackle
Originally posted by KRS-1:
his name is not whammer it is el hebrew hammer.

Thank you sir!
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
didn't read, lol
sometimes i wish there wasn't Niner Talk
  • dj43
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by A9R4Life:
Agreed... One thing I noticed is that our new Veteran Center was not playing in that
game, and once he gets himself settled on the play book, a lot of these problems will
go away... I'm not a fan of signing Josh McCown either... I think most of our problems
will work themselves out during preseason..

McCown is the whipping boy to protect Alex and Kaep while they sort out who/what is the best combo in the OL.

The OP is correct, I believe, in that Harbaugh had no idea how bad the OL is. However, I'm not going to jump off the bridge just yet. I expect Harbaugh and staff will find out who are the best candidates and do some serious coaching up of those guys.

One thing to remember; if the HC is a QB guru (which he is) and prides himself in how well he develops QBs (which he does) he is NOT going to stand idly by while the QBs that he has invested so much in get killed by an incompetent OL. So while the current group may or may not have all the right guys to make an excellent OL, the group that is here will get a big dose of technique and sorting out everyday.

Adam Snyder was quoted this week as saying they were spending a lot of time on technique. 'bout time.

The dude is a former NFL qb. Harbaugh should know how valuable an offensive line is to a qb's career and health.

I fully expect to see better basic pass protect technique against the Raiders. I believe we can all be certain that Harbaugh was embarrassed by how poorly the OL played and will make sure that the best guys are going to be in the lineup come the regular season. In the meantime, McCown may see a lot of playing time if the OL continues to play as it did last Friday.
yes....purposely it seems.

I'm not all that high on Luck.

He could get injured or turn into Leinart.
  • dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Whatever happens with Smith, at least we have a QB to develop. Sure, it might take us a few years to get there, but I would rather be patient with Kaep than to go all in on John Beck or Chad Henne or Jason Campbell, or wait & pray for Newton, or count on McNabb...

All of this talk just points out how hard it is to find a good QB to play at this level. If they were truthful, 20 teams in this league would say they are not happy with their QB situation heading into the regular season. The question is; which coaching staff will make the most of what they have?
not the worse but they are in the bottom 3rd
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by A9R4Life:
Agreed... One thing I noticed is that our new Veteran Center was not playing in that
game, and once he gets himself settled on the play book, a lot of these problems will
go away... I'm not a fan of signing Josh McCown either... I think most of our problems
will work themselves out during preseason..
Well, as a matter of fact, Goodwin did play in that game. He came in around the mid 2nd quarter and also played in the 3rd quarter at center.

And kept snapping the ball like sh**........
Originally posted by 9er_84:
Josh will tear it up if he gets a shot! Mark my words dude is a gunslinger!

I sure hope so

Originally posted by 80849er4life:
And kept snapping the ball like sh**........

Yeah, needs to get used to his QBs. He also doesn't have a good anchor vs powerful DTs, so that's something to worry a bit over too.
After the NO game OL debacle, Harbaugh knew he had to get some veteran insurance in case Alex goes down. I'm sure he'd rather not throw Kaepernick to the wolves as Nolan did Alex. I really don't see what the problem is w/McCown...he's the 3rd stringer, not any kind of savior. I'd sure rather have him than Carr. It's a pretty safe bet Harbaugh has told Baalke he wants Josh Johnson...but, rather than give up a pick or player to get him now, they seem content to wait 'til he's a FA in 2012. Your points WRT the OL are well taken...and we must all remember the big day (Sep 3rd) is coming up soon...when a ton of vets are cut. There'll be a good opportunity to get some OL help then. I'm sure it's one of the reasons (Gore being the biggest) they still have some nice cap room left.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
After the NO game OL debacle, Harbaugh knew he had to get some veteran insurance in case Alex goes down. I'm sure he'd rather not throw Kaepernick to the wolves as Nolan did Alex. I really don't see what the problem is w/McCown...he's the 3rd stringer, not any kind of savior. I'd sure rather have him than Carr. It's a pretty safe bet Harbaugh has told Baalke he wants Josh Johnson...but, rather than give up a pick or player to get him now, they seem content to wait 'til he's a FA in 2012. Your points WRT the OL are well taken...and we must all remember the big day (Sep 3rd) is coming up soon...when a ton of vets are cut. There'll be a good opportunity to get some OL help then. I'm sure it's one of the reasons (Gore being the biggest) they still have some nice cap room left.

+1
Did not read! But also don't feel like finding GIF of a dancing man.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran

Here you go.
Share 49ersWebzone