There are 51 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Team of Under-Performing 1st Round Draft Choices?

Not sure this a good thing. Are we becoming the home of the under-performing 1st round draft picks?

Alex Smith -- has under-performed
Vernon Davis -- has performed a bit better than typical 1st round TE
Patrick Willis -- has been a stellar performer
Joe Staley -- Hmmm, performed?
Michael Crabtree --- I would say under-performs
Iupati -- has performed
Anthony Davis -- I'd say under-performed so far

Pick-ups
Braylon Edwards -- has certainly under-performed his hype coming out
Carlos Rogers -- has under-performed -- ?
Donte Whitner -- has under-performed his draft place, although a decent safety
Ted Ginn -- wow, way under-performed his draft place

Now they are looking at Maybin from the Bills? He has clearly under-performed to date.

Anyone else on the team a 1st Rounder?
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Not sure this a good thing. Are we becoming the home of the under-performing 1st round draft picks?

Iupati -- has performed

Pick-ups

Now they are looking at Maybin from the Bills? He has clearly under-performed to date.

Manny Lawson
Originally posted by NCommand:
Manny Lawson

Yeah, technically not on the team anymore, but good one.
top 5 te peformed a bit better thats sarcasm right
Balmer

And under performing 2nd and third round picks.

Taylor Mays
Chilo
Baas
Coffee
Originally posted by carlitos372002:

I don't know, taken #7 overall, I'd hope he turned out to be a top 5 TE, at least that was the expectation. To be fair, he hasn't exactly had a QB lighting him up either, so its pretty amazing he has still performed that well.

I don't know, taken #7 overall, I'd hope he turned out to be a top 5 TE, at least that was the expectation. To be fair, he hasn't exactly had a QB lighting him up either, so its pretty amazing he has still performed that well.

This. With more stability at QB and system he could be an even better TE
Originally posted by susweel:
Balmer

And under performing 2nd and third round picks.

Taylor Mays
Chilo
Baas
Coffee

Yeah, Balmer was a huge disappointment. But no longer on the team. I talking about that it seems like the front office likes former 1st rounders they can get cheap now. Kinda like Al Davis liked former superbowl MVPs. At least we aren't giving them Al Davis contracts!
Staley, Crabtree, and A Davis have all underperformed

oh and of course Alex
[ Edited by monsterzero789 on Aug 16, 2011 at 6:49 PM ]

Iupati -- has performed

Pick-ups

Anyone else on the team a 1st Round
From a team draft evaluation point...you need at least 4 years and rating criteria. The 49ers have actually done well once Nolan left. Nolan really blew it when he let go Andre Carter and Julius Peterson. That left the team no 1st round draft picks for at least 6 straight years. This was a cause of our recent years in the wilderness..just very poor GMs prior to Baalke. Now if you want to grade Nolan forward we have hit Gold twice with more opportunities ahead. You fail in Round 1 if you do not get a starter or you lose your first round picks. Getting a starter that excels in areas is a solid B. A dominate player scores an A and a ProBowler an A+

A. Smith C Starter, Not top 15, team needs much more
Staley B Starter , Injury prone
Lawson (Gone) B+ Starter, OLB Outstanding in coverage, setting the edge, and special teams, Gone now
Vernon A+ Starting TE A+ 14 TD 2010 led league, 2 Time ProBowl, Best TE Blocker, Automatic mis-match against Defenses
Willis A+ Starting OLB A+ Best ILB in Game? 2 time ProBowl
Balmer DE F Never Started, Gone in 1 year
Iupati TBD Starter , 3rd yr player
A. Davis TBD Starter, 3rd yr player
Crabtree TBD Starter, 2nd yr player - in danger of failing due to camp injuries on same ankle/foot
Aldon Smith TBD Rookie
[ Edited by BrodieWins on Aug 16, 2011 at 7:02 PM ]

I don't know, taken #7 overall, I'd hope he turned out to be a top 5 TE, at least that was the expectation. To be fair, he hasn't exactly had a QB lighting him up either, so its pretty amazing he has still performed that well

He was the #6 pick. He's easily a top 2-3 tight end. He's even in the conversation for the best in the league.
Aldon Smith
Originally posted by btthepunk:

I don't know, taken #7 overall, I'd hope he turned out to be a top 5 TE, at least that was the expectation. To be fair, he hasn't exactly had a QB lighting him up either, so its pretty amazing he has still performed that well

He was the #6 pick. He's easily a top 2-3 tight end. He's even in the conversation for the best in the league.

I'd definitely put Davis in the top 5 at least.

Among the top TE's in the league you've got Davis, Dallas Clark, Witten, Gonzalez, and Gates. Gates and Clark have battled injuries lately. Gonzalez is going to retire pretty soon. Davis is arguably the best blocker of the bunch. One could make a case for Vernon being top three.

Iupati -- has performed

Pick-ups

Would you prefer under performing 3rd rounders?

We are getting "under performing" first rounders because the performing ones are either not available or are too expensive.
[ Edited by LeadFarmer on Aug 16, 2011 at 8:33 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by btthepunk:

I'd definitely put Davis in the top 5 at least.

Among the top TE's in the league you've got Davis, Dallas Clark, Witten, Gonzalez, and Gates. Gates and Clark have battled injuries lately. Gonzalez is going to retire pretty soon. Davis is arguably the best blocker of the bunch. One could make a case for Vernon being top three.

If I was starting a team today I'd take Davis over the rest of them. He's the youngest, strongest, and fastest of them all.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home