There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

KNBR

Here's my take on KNBR throughout the day.
Murph and Mac (5-9am) - definite strong suits for them are talking Giants and golf. They're a morning show, so they often delve into non-sports stuff every now and then. They do have alot of guest interviews though, especially when it comes to the Niners. Frequent shows during the season are the Harbaugh show, Brian Jennings show, and the Ronnie Lott show which is probably my favorite. They panic way too much when the teams lose, and often misinterpret a bunch of stuff. When it comes to wanting any NBA info during their time slot, dont even bother. They have very little to offer in that area.

Damon Bruce and Gary Radnich (9am-12pm) - Fairly new pairing and somewhat interesting seeing how these two mesh. Both had their own shows and I actually enjoyed Bruce's show a bit more. He's definitely a hardcore sports fan, but he often feels himself a bit much. He's one of those guys that'll see a "big-name" available, and vehemently want the local team to go after them. Hard to blame him though since the teams have been pretty lousy for the most part throughout the years. As for Radnich, his shows would too often go into pop-culture, especially during his Tony Bruno segments. Radnich is definitely full of sports "knowledge", but he too often spoke over his callers. You could definitely talk all sports, both professional and collegiate, during this time slot.

Fitz and Brooks (12-3pm) - I used to like these guys, but their style became a bit tiring for me. They both like to attack the callers, and they both feel like they know it all. Fitz will make you think that the Warriors are just as good as any team out there and that Monta Ellis is a top 5 player in the NBA. Brooks for the most part just goes along with Fitz. They do go into all sports with the strong suit being the NBA.
Razor and Mr. T (3-7pm) - They may be the most well-rounded show with the exception of Barbieri's voice. Tolbert is very knowledgeable and often offers good insight. Barbier far too often goes into long questions/statements especially in their guest interviews. They have the Steve Young show during the season, which is a great one. I would probably listen to this show more, but it is on-air at the end of the work day for me and once I get home, its all TV from there. This time slot probably offers the most Sharks talk and their strongest point would be the NBA. But like I said earlier, they are more rounded than all the other shows.

Sportsphone with Eric Byrnes (7-???) - dont really listen cause again I'm watching TV by this time, but I hear he's a great host.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
KNBR has become awful in the last two years. Lee Hammer has basically sold his soul to the Giants. He and the rest of the idiots at KNBR apparently have decided to tap into the "lifeblood" of a sport whose demographics have been shrinking for years as it's been relegated from national pastime to a 162 game summer nap. I don't understand it. I don't care that the Niners have sucked recently. Baseball enthusiasts have long bemoaned the fact that its relevance is dying, and new generations don't care about the boring game of baseball compared to football and basketball. For some reason, though, Hammer thinks he's going to improve their ratings by latching on to this crap nonstop.

If I was running a station in the Bay Area, I'd tell my guys to push the NFL 80% of the time, regardless of the season, and I'd stomp a mudhole in my competitors when it comes to ratings. I lived in Minneapolis for 10 years, and the guys there understood it and used to talk about how they could literally talk about the Vikings everyday if they wanted to and fill their phone lines.

I really hate Brian Murphy. He's got to be the worst interviewer on the planet, on top of being the most painfully white nerd to ever walk the planet. He makes Urkel look like Eazy E. Listen to the way b***h boy Murph tries to ask questions. Can you imagine alpha dogs like Singletary and Harbaugh trying to stomach someone whose vocal inflections make Big Gay Al blush? Of course boring assclowns like Murph and Mac want to talk baseball everyday, unless they can of course talk some golf. Jesus H. Christ on a riverboat, do they suck.

Hammer pushing Bruno out of the Radnich segment was the last straw for me. I normally like D Bruce, as he will talk Niners with no BS, but even Damon has gone Giant crazy the last year. I really hope The Game keeps their focus on football. They'll put KNBR out of its misery if they do.

I find it hard to blame KNBR for pimping the only reigning World Championship team in the Bay Area for all its worth.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I find it hard to blame KNBR for pimping the only reigning World Championship team in the Bay Area for all its worth.

They were pimping them long before they won the World Series last year.
Originally posted by Hollywood:
I will say this. I lived in many cities and dealt with many fans, but I've never seen a greater collection of fairweather fans than here in Dallas. But at the end of the day, Texas is a football state all the way through HS, College and into the pro's.

Most places are football states since football is the number 1 sport in America. There are only two places where football takes a back seat in the media, that's New York and the Bay Area. The Yankees are King in New York and should be. The Giants rule the Bay Area right now. This used to be a football market, it still is as far as the fans are concerned, however in the media, its a baseball market. Mac and Murph are baseball guys first, that is not to say they don't love football, Rod and Fitz are basketball first guys, and Ralph and Tom are baseball and basket ball first. Gary and Damon, Gary doesn't have a favorite sport, he doesn't lean in any direction, Damon might be a football guy first.
KNBR has become awful in the last two years. Lee Hammer has basically sold his soul to the Giants. He and the rest of the idiots at KNBR apparently have decided to tap into the "lifeblood" of a sport whose demographics have been shrinking for years as it's been relegated from national pastime to a 162 game summer nap. I don't understand it. I don't care that the Niners have sucked recently. Baseball enthusiasts have long bemoaned the fact that its relevance is dying, and new generations don't care about the boring game of baseball compared to football and basketball. For some reason, though, Hammer thinks he's going to improve their ratings by latching on to this crap nonstop.

If I was running a station in the Bay Area, I'd tell my guys to push the NFL 80% of the time, regardless of the season, and I'd stomp a mudhole in my competitors when it comes to ratings. I lived in Minneapolis for 10 years, and the guys there understood it and used to talk about how they could literally talk about the Vikings everyday if they wanted to and fill their phone lines.

I really hate Brian Murphy. He's got to be the worst interviewer on the planet, on top of being the most painfully white nerd to ever walk the planet. He makes Urkel look like Eazy E. Listen to the way b***h boy Murph tries to ask questions. Can you imagine alpha dogs like Singletary and Harbaugh trying to stomach someone whose vocal inflections make Big Gay Al blush? Of course boring assclowns like Murph and Mac want to talk baseball everyday, unless they can of course talk some golf. Jesus H. Christ on a riverboat, do they suck.

Hammer pushing Bruno out of the Radnich segment was the last straw for me. I normally like D Bruce, as he will talk Niners with no BS, but even Damon has gone Giant crazy the last year. I really hope The Game keeps their focus on football. They'll put KNBR out of its misery if they do.

You make some good points. There was a sport station herein the Bay Area that just folded. They were 860 on the AM dial. Now when you tune in there you hear spanish radio language. They tried to be a primary East Bay sports station with the A's as the main focus and not the Raiders or Warriors, which in itself is a recipe for failure.
Originally posted by samoan49er:
Here's my take on KNBR throughout the day.
Murph and Mac (5-9am) - definite strong suits for them are talking Giants and golf. They're a morning show, so they often delve into non-sports stuff every now and then. They do have alot of guest interviews though, especially when it comes to the Niners. Frequent shows during the season are the Harbaugh show, Brian Jennings show, and the Ronnie Lott show which is probably my favorite. They panic way too much when the teams lose, and often misinterpret a bunch of stuff. When it comes to wanting any NBA info during their time slot, dont even bother. They have very little to offer in that area.

Damon Bruce and Gary Radnich (9am-12pm) - Fairly new pairing and somewhat interesting seeing how these two mesh. Both had their own shows and I actually enjoyed Bruce's show a bit more. He's definitely a hardcore sports fan, but he often feels himself a bit much. He's one of those guys that'll see a "big-name" available, and vehemently want the local team to go after them. Hard to blame him though since the teams have been pretty lousy for the most part throughout the years. As for Radnich, his shows would too often go into pop-culture, especially during his Tony Bruno segments. Radnich is definitely full of sports "knowledge", but he too often spoke over his callers. You could definitely talk all sports, both professional and collegiate, during this time slot.

Fitz and Brooks (12-3pm) - I used to like these guys, but their style became a bit tiring for me. They both like to attack the callers, and they both feel like they know it all. Fitz will make you think that the Warriors are just as good as any team out there and that Monta Ellis is a top 5 player in the NBA. Brooks for the most part just goes along with Fitz. They do go into all sports with the strong suit being the NBA.
Razor and Mr. T (3-7pm) - They may be the most well-rounded show with the exception of Barbieri's voice. Tolbert is very knowledgeable and often offers good insight. Barbier far too often goes into long questions/statements especially in their guest interviews. They have the Steve Young show during the season, which is a great one. I would probably listen to this show more, but it is on-air at the end of the work day for me and once I get home, its all TV from there. This time slot probably offers the most Sharks talk and their strongest point would be the NBA. But like I said earlier, they are more rounded than all the other shows.

Sportsphone with Eric Byrnes (7-???) - dont really listen cause again I'm watching TV by this time, but I hear he's a great host.

Originally posted by Hollywood:
They were pimping them long before they won the World Series last year.

Exactly. And the thing is....it's freaking baseball. What is there to discuss? Someone throws a ball across the plate and someone swings a bat. There's no strategy (hmmmm....I wonder if this 3-0 pitch is coming right down the middle) compared to sports like football, and there aren't routinely great athletic displays like in football or basketball. The managers in baseball don't do jack s**t compared to the coaches in football and basketball, so it's not like you can get any great analysis going. It's literally just "Wow, the Giants sure are hitting well now" or "Lincecum was really on last night" and other observations that a four year old could make. How the hell do you talk about that crap for hours upon hours everyday?

Most sports fans seem to acknowledge that baseball is a painfully slow, boring game compared to other sports. I hear hosts on every station but KNBR allude to this notion all the time. So my question is if it's understood how boring it is to watch in relation to other sports, then why the hell would you think it's not absolutely painful to listen to hear about the games.

Go check the World Series ratings, even in local markets. Now look at football games in those markets. There's no contest. There's a reason why football dominates the landscape everywhere except at KNBR.
Exactly. And the thing is....it's freaking baseball. What is there to discuss? Someone throws a ball across the plate and someone swings a bat. There's no strategy (hmmmm....I wonder if this 3-0 pitch is coming right down the middle) compared to sports like football, and there aren't routinely great athletic displays like in football or basketball. The managers in baseball don't do jack s**t compared to the coaches in football and basketball, so it's not like you can get any great analysis going. It's literally just "Wow, the Giants sure are hitting well now" or "Lincecum was really on last night" and other observations that a four year old could make. How the hell do you talk about that crap for hours upon hours everyday?

Most sports fans seem to acknowledge that baseball is a painfully slow, boring game compared to other sports. I hear hosts on every station but KNBR allude to this notion all the time. So my question is if it's understood how boring it is to watch in relation to other sports, then why the hell would you think it's not absolutely painful to listen to hear about the games.

Go check the World Series ratings, even in local markets. Now look at football games in those markets. There's no contest. There's a reason why football dominates the landscape everywhere except at KNBR.

Speaking of ratings, KNBR is consistently rated in the top five in the Bay Area with a 4+ market share doing what they're doing. KGMZ might take a little bite out of their market share eventually, but KNBR has been a Bay Area brand for decades and they are the flagship for the two "San Francisco" franchises. I don't see them changing much unless KGMZ's ratings spike to a market share over their latest 0.6 ratings, which is about the same as KNBR's sister station 1050.

But competition always a good thing. If KGMZ's programming pushes KNBR to add more 49er/NFL talk I'm all for it.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Aug 12, 2011 at 12:55 PM ]
Kevin Lynch is hosting on KNBR Now 12 -3 for Fitz and Brooks
Originally posted by fc0828:
Kevin Lynch is hosting on KNBR Now 12 -3 for Fitz and Brooks

Kevin Lynch is great. I really like him as a host.
Niner pre-game with Larry Kreuger just started on KNBR 1050
This dude on right now, sounds like a straight up homer lol.
  • Kense
  • Veteran

I know this post is very old but I had to give you some props for posting exactly how I feel. I also have to ask. Why the F**k is Mike Krukow and Dwayne Kaiper on every single day even after the season is long over? Are you serious? They are still talking baseball in the middle of Football season with the Niners & the Raiders are leading in their division? This is the WORST sports station EVER. I also want to punch Rod Brooks and Fitz in the face with their horrible attitudes. 95.7 The game is where it's at.
Originally posted by Kense:
I know this post is very old but I had to give you some props for posting exactly how I feel. I also have to ask. Why the F**k is Mike Krukow and Dwayne Kaiper on every single day even after the season is long over? Are you serious? They are still talking baseball in the middle of Football season with the Niners & the Raiders are leading in their division? This is the WORST sports station EVER. I also want to punch Rod Brooks and Fitz in the face with their horrible attitudes. 95.7 The game is where it's at.

Yeah . . . It's Raider Friday . . . Woo Hoo! . . .
  • Kense
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Yeah . . . It's Raider Friday . . . Woo Hoo! . . .

They talk just as much 9ers as Raiders and I'd still rather hear Raiders talk than Off Season Baseball talk about possible Giants trades. Who gives a F about that right now?
[ Edited by Kense on Nov 4, 2011 at 9:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Kense:
They talk just as much 9ers as Raiders and I'd still rather hear Raiders talk than Off Season Baseball talk about possible Giants trades. Who gives a F about that right now?

Giants fans.