LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Anybody worried that Alex will rely TOO much on check downs to Gore?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by cooljon16:
I'm worried simply bc Alex is terrible at throwing short accurate passes. Alex simply isn't a good (he's ok) passer to begin with.
That is not what the reports from TC indicate.

Having an actual coach who understands HOW TO DESIGN AN OFFENSE is the critical component. This is the first time in 8 years that has been a part of the SF 49ers.
I'm not worried, if anybody should be, it's opposing defenses. If they have to bring one of the safeties up to guard against this, it should free up Edwards, Crabtree, even Ginn Jr. downfield for a big play.
  • dj43
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
I'm not worried, if anybody should be, it's opposing defenses. If they have to bring one of the safeties up to guard against this, it should free up Edwards, Crabtree, even Ginn Jr. downfield for a big play.
That's the way Walsh designed it.
Alex is in the process of learning a new and complex system. I wouldn't be concerned at all with his tendency to check down often in the early stages of preseaon.
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Alex is in the process of learning a new and complex system. I wouldn't be concerned at all with his tendency to check down often in the early stages of preseaon.

Alex should be a Genius!

He has learned like 20 Playbooks !
Originally posted by dj43:

plus, it will give alex a higher completion percentage as long as he doesn't launch it at them from 10 feet away
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
i'll take 4yd "checkdowns" to Gore all day.
I'm not worried about the reads where he checks down on. I'm more concerned about the plays when that quick hit slant or quick throw is the first read that he must make. These types of players require a sort of trust and "blind" throw and that will be the true test of Alex Smith. If he can make these, then he will be able to handle the blitzes that teams will be bringing his way. I don't even care if he's not hitting the receiver on stride. He has yet to prove he can make that "blind" throw quick hit first read.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm not worried about the reads where he checks down on. I'm more concerned about the plays when that quick hit slant or quick throw is the first read that he must make. These types of players require a sort of trust and "blind" throw and that will be the true test of Alex Smith. If he can make these, then he will be able to handle the blitzes that teams will be bringing his way. I don't even care if he's not hitting the receiver on stride. He has yet to prove he can make that "blind" throw quick hit first read.

My man cool was up, been a long time since i commented with ya. well as far as the slant, you have to agree just like i think Roman said, the slant wasnt even used since T.O. was here. Now he didnt say, since Martz with the long ball, or Norv, or Nowin, or Jimmy Raye, or even M. Johnson. So im also anxious to see how he handles those, now that they are actually implemented in the offense.

And blind trust, all i can say to that is, the main person he was supposed to trust which is his no 1 receiver Crabs, he just couldnt, and u see by pass percentage completed with him, why that was. He still hasnt played a pre-season game in 3 years i think.

His no 1 receiver in my eyes was Davis (and he's a TE), and i have seen some of his best throws when going to him, and why, because i think he has that *blind* trust in him, and maybe even Morgan, since he's had the highest completion percentage with him as a WR.

Now are any of these excuses, not one bit, just following the checkdown question, in which i said no, because they (checkdowns) are actually designed in the WCO. I agree with all tho, that he has more tools he's ever had than any of his years here. If he can now translate that to gameday we'll all be amazed.

One thing i am looking forward too, is finally seeing a guy like Edwards fighting for the ball, diving, making one handed grabs, and he's done that regardless of what team he plays for. Id actually like to see a little bit of that in Crabs. If they both can challenge one another, then damn its gonna be an exciting year wouldnt u agree
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Originally posted by dj43:

plus, it will give alex a higher completion percentage as long as he doesn't launch it at them from 10 feet away

Yeah, we can't expect NFL receivers to make strong receptions... we must coddle them and put perfect touch and placement on the passes for them to do their professional jobs.

Originally posted by Jersey9er:

My man cool was up, been a long time since i commented with ya. well as far as the slant, you have to agree just like i think Roman said, the slant wasnt even used since T.O. was here. Now he didnt say, since Martz with the long ball, or Norv, or Nowin, or Jimmy Raye, or even M. Johnson. So im also anxious to see how he handles those, now that they are actually implemented in the offense.

And blind trust, all i can say to that is, the main person he was supposed to trust which is his no 1 receiver Crabs, he just couldnt, and u see by pass percentage completed with him, why that was. He still hasnt played a pre-season game in 3 years i think.

His no 1 receiver in my eyes was Davis (and he's a TE), and i have seen some of his best throws when going to him, and why, because i think he has that *blind* trust in him, and maybe even Morgan, since he's had the highest completion percentage with him as a WR.

Now are any of these excuses, not one bit, just following the checkdown question, in which i said no, because they (checkdowns) are actually designed in the WCO. I agree with all tho, that he has more tools he's ever had than any of his years here. If he can now translate that to gameday we'll all be amazed.

One thing i am looking forward too, is finally seeing a guy like Edwards fighting for the ball, diving, making one handed grabs, and he's done that regardless of what team he plays for. Id actually like to see a little bit of that in Crabs. If they both can challenge one another, then damn its gonna be an exciting year wouldnt u agree

Excited to see how this unfolds. I'm only bringing up the blind throw because he has been very successful on the 15-20 yarders where he can visually see the routes clearing. On the "blind" throws, he has been late, more often than not even to Vernon and all other receivers. The short curl route is a blind throw that must be released just as the receiver begins his break while his back is still to the QB. Smith has not made this throw until he sees the receivers facemask.

I just hope JH is grilling him every time he delays on that throw.

Excited to see how this unfolds. I'm only bringing up the blind throw because he has been very successful on the 15-20 yarders where he can visually see the routes clearing. On the "blind" throws, he has been late, more often than not even to Vernon and all other receivers. The short curl route is a blind throw that must be released just as the receiver begins his break while his back is still to the QB. Smith has not made this throw until he sees the receivers facemask.

Ahhhh, see now if u would of said blind curl, then i would of been like i got ya now. But to be honest i wonder how much of that is actually implemented in. havent heard any negatives or positives about that aspect tho. Maybe someone at TC can let us know if they've seen that play and what the outcome was.

Ahhhh, see now if u would of said blind curl, then i would of been like i got ya now. But to be honest i wonder how much of that is actually implemented in. havent heard any negatives or positives about that aspect tho. Maybe someone at TC can let us know if they've seen that play and what the outcome was.

I won't believe it until I see it in a regular season game when the blitzes get crazy and the stakes are higher.

I won't believe it until I see it in a regular season game when the blitzes get crazy and the stakes are higher.

and that my friend we can agree on, i think Alex will literally have EVERY opportunity to be successful this year. Either he puts up, or his ass it out ASAP.

Cant wait till Sept.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
if he checks down and we move the chains whats wrong with that? it eats clock, keeps the ball so the other team cant score and scores if hes using it well enough to move the chains. no problem with it whatsoever

The problem is before he wasn't moving the chains. Smith ranked 29th in 1st down completion ratio at 30.1%. Dumping it off on 3 and 8 and picking up 7 was Alex's calling card.

I'm not worried though. I think with actual offensive coaching Harbaugh will nip this in the butt. NolanSing was probally congratulating him on the sideline for improving field position.

But can that be coached out of him? It seems like it's his natural instinct. Instead of making a tough throw or throwing a guy open he'd rather play it safe and just check it down. He just won't let it rip. I hope it is coached out of him.

The RB checkdowns last year were mostly swing routes. You give the back less room to run, and they start near the LOS. Middle checkdowns travel less distance, but gain an automatic 4 yds. The get there faster, so the D has less time to react, and the back has more room to run.
Share 49ersWebzone