LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

Anybody worried that Alex will rely TOO much on check downs to Gore?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
JTO won the job because he was the better QB in the preseason and training camp. Whether or not he knew the system is totally beside the point. JTO had a very good preseason and EARNED the right to start that season. Smith played like s**t that preseason (prior to his 'injury').

knowing a system over the other QB is what? "totally beside the point" ???? LOLz

Go ahead and look for more excuses. The NFL doesn't care if the player you're competing with already knows the system. It's irrelevant. You get dealt a tough hand...oh well...nobody cares.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Go ahead and look for more excuses. The NFL doesn't care if the player you're competing with already knows the system. It's irrelevant. You get dealt a tough hand...oh well...nobody cares.

Hmmm... Alex Smith is still on the team and JTO is... where?

Maybe the NFL does care.

I love you too, NFL!
Only if he throws it 5 feet too high and causes Gore to jump fully extended, tip the the ball into a defender's hands while another defender takes a free shot on a helpless, airborne Gore knocking him out for another few games.Then yeah I will be worried.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Hmmm... Alex Smith is still on the team and JTO is... where?

Maybe the NFL does care.

I love you too, NFL!

Yes, because what you said has any relevance to this discussion .
When Martz came here, he was smart enough to realized people expect him to put up a competent offense on the field. In such a short time, he needed someone to run it effectively. Whatever talent he had in Hill and A. Smith, he knows neither of them would know enough about his offense to give Martz what he wanted. Thus the reason he brought in JTO. JTO was heady, almost fearless. Martz liked him. So do I when I watched him in preseason. And I think most people do too. Except no one realized the dude was a turnover machine and inexperienced, so he didn't know enough to realized, he has be conservative and not turn the ball over in the begin or late in the game.

Martz took a short cut, it almost worked, but it didn't paid-off. There was no way he was going to use Hill or Smith at the time because they didn't know enough about his offense for him to do what he wanted to do, until he was force feed Hill by Singletary.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 10, 2011 at 6:06 PM ]
Very
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
When Martz came here, he was smart enough to realized people expect him to put up a competent offense on the field. In such a short time, he needed someone to run it effectively. Whatever talent he had in Hill and A. Smith, he knows neither of them would know enough about his offense to give Martz what he wanted. Thus the reason he brought in JTO. JTO was heady, almost fearless. Martz liked him. So do I when I watched him in preseason. And I think most people do too. Except no one realized the dude was a turnover machine and inexperienced, so he didn't know enough to realized, he has be conservative and not turn the ball over in the begin or late in the game.

Martz took a short cut, it almost worked, but it didn't paid-off. There was no way he was going to use Hill or Smith at the time because they didn't know enough about his offense for him to do what he wanted to do, until he was force feed Hill by Singletary.

smart and accurate...

Agree with this post...the fact is, JTO won the competition because he played the best in our offense. Like I said before, whether or not Smith knew the offense is irrelevant. The end result is that he lost the competition. If Smith could pick up offenses faster, maybe he'd have started and not JTO.

Lets not forget that Shaun Hill was excellent at the end of 2008 in Martz's offense--Pro Bowl caliber.
  • dwett
  • Veteran

The thing I take out of this is how much you can't judge a players based off their preseason play. It is simply a different game when it matters most. Just hope that we aren't chanting for Masoli to start when it is all done.

As far as Smith with the check down situation, I think Lethaface makes a good point that Smith had some issues with even the check downs. To me he simply was trying to put to much zip on those passes. Would think that a quality coach teaching him how to adjust his pass to the situation would go a long way.

Agree with this post...the fact is, JTO won the competition because he played the best in our offense. Like I said before, whether or not Smith knew the offense is irrelevant. The end result is that he lost the competition. If Smith could pick up offenses faster, maybe he'd have started and not JTO.

Lets not forget that Shaun Hill was excellent at the end of 2008 in Martz's offense--Pro Bowl caliber.

I partly agreed with this. Hill did a very good job for us. But at the same time Martz was forced to changed his offense for Hill and mostly Singletary call for 'we are not a charity' rant. So it was an experience Hill playing, with Martz dialing back to cater to the change of qb and Singletary also. If Smith wasn't injured, I'm sure he could have done the same for Smith. But you could inject how Smith would have done, better or worse, since he didn't get a chance to play.
Alex Smith looks like a totally different dude, in every aspect. He is being coached up by a guy that knows the position if he starts any bad habits i'm sure coach will quickly put a stop to them. No worries, he will play good QB.

Giving that same situation, if Aaron Rodgers was on the team, system or not, Martz would have started Rodgers. If Smith was any good he would have beaten out a horrible QB in JTO, stop making excuses.
Originally posted by niners:
Alex Smith looks like a totally different dude, in every aspect. He is being coached up by a guy that knows the position if he starts any bad habits i'm sure coach will quickly put a stop to them. No worries, he will play good QB.

Yeah right. That's why the OC said the QB position is fluid.
  • Jiks
Not trying to make any excuses up here but Alex's shoulder didn't heal properly and that's why he had to have surgery that year of the competition. I myself think that is a huge reason as to why he wasn't the starter, or didn't really even have a chance anyways.

As far as Hill, I look at him as a Derek Anderson. I even called it when Hill was playing in 08 that the league was going to catch up to him. He was a very fierce competitor, and could make some pretty throws, I just don't think he had the all around talent that he needed to succeed. Teams realized he didn't have enough arm strength to cosistently go downfield and stacked 8 in the box. Not saying Hill couldn't throw the ball, but defenses could play softer on him since the ball took so long to get to the recievers. People forget that he only had a minimal amount of receptions to his recievers in 09. It was a very poor number, can't remember the exacts but I don't wanna look it up. This was partially due to poor WR's, but the other part had to do with his lack of speed on the ball.

I actually thought Rattay was a better QB than JTO to be completely honest. Rattay had some games where he played pretty darn well. This was also a god awful team and there were a couple games he kept us in them.
All I know about the check down, swing pass, or screen pass. When it's done right, they make it look easy. When it goes wrong, it's really ugly.
Originally posted by Nighner:
Giving that same situation, if Aaron Rodgers was on the team, system or not, Martz would have started Rodgers. If Smith was any good he would have beaten out a horrible QB in JTO, stop making excuses.

Did you mean the Aaron Rogers that just won the Super Bowl or the one that was struggling to fill Farve's shoes.
Share 49ersWebzone