There are 235 users in the forums

Shawntae Spencer...whats his potential?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Shawntae Spencer...whats his potential?

Spencer is a young guy whose held down the #2 corner spot with stability but is he emerging into a top 10 cornerback or is he probably guna get replaced within the next couple of years? He was selected in the 2nd round of his draft class and i think he has been showing improvement in coverage and tackling every year. what do you think fellow niner fans?
what kind of choices are these

either hes elite ,mediocore backup?

is there a solid option?
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:44 PM ]
Isn't he like 28-29? He isn't really football young (I think) I think he will always be a solid starter/nickel/walt harris type. He won't ever be Mr. Lockdown.
he's in his 8th year. I think he is what he is. A decent #2.
Hopefully he returns to '09 form, where he should have made the pro-bowl over Rodgers-Cromartie IMO.
I thought he had a just under pro bowl type season 2 years ago. He was real solid.
I vote for a good solid #2 CB
yea i think he can hold down the #2 spot. it never really seemed through free agency that he was gonna lose his job or spot.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
what kind of choices are these

either hes elite ,mediocore backup?

is there a solid option?
Originally posted by global_nomad:
I thought he had a just under pro bowl type season 2 years ago. He was real solid.
Goldson had a good GAME 2 seasons ago.

2 years is a long time ago, look at brett favre.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by YungAce:

I agree solid #2 CB.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I agree solid #2 CB.

This.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I agree solid #2 CB.

This.
Above average, solid #2 was his highest... think he is actually past his prime though. A few years back I think he hit it. Still could be a good #3 down the road if we upgrade next year. Hard to believe he's going into his 8th season already. I remember picking him and Justin Smiley in the 2nd. We got the extra 2nd from trading down from 16 to 31 or so. We traded down twice, passed on Vince Wilfork and ended up with the guy I think we wanted anyways Rashaun "I'd rather be fishing" woods. And to think Justin Smiley is retired already. He was good for us but wanted too much to re-sign.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 8, 2011 at 3:37 PM ]
Potential? He's been in the league for a long time. He's likely reached his potential already. With a decent pass rush, he's solid.

They should blitz him sometimes this season. My favorite highlight of his is him blitzing the Lions and blowing up Jon Kitna from the front side. He blew him up, Kitna fumbled, and then Spencer signaled #1 with his finger while walking away. Hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auGvZWjmid4
Share 49ersWebzone